porcupinesRcool
KalleS

IQ level schools

porcupinesRcool

porcupinesRcool

Con

Please everyone I am doing this for a school project that I feel very strongly about! I am sorry I am kind of new at this... I believe that IQ level schools are bad because it would be just another way we could discriminate people! This would result in more suicides and bullying!
KalleS

Pro

ok well I'm just going to assume the first round is acceptance. and I accept your debate. as this is your first time remember to define anything you are talking about and good luck! I look forward to debating this with you. also just a warning but with the current set up this could take up to 27 days maximum but I plan to reply as soon as possible.
porcupinesRcool

Con

Dividing children by IQ levels is equal to genocide. We are just evaluating a few abilities that he/she has. Also it is unfair because a 10 year old could be in a class with 14 year olds and he would feel very left out. Also IQ test are not very accurate so A very smart person may not have a go0od memory thus getting a lower IQ and iin a worse class.
KalleS

Pro

Alright, let me start by expressing my concern with your comparison of this topic to genocide. though I feel strongly about this subject let us not start this off with a hyperbole.

I, as Pro, will debate that not only that IQ divided schools are not bad, they, if properly implemented would be better than the current age based system.

Con point 1) IQ tests evaluate just a few abilities that an individual has

Rebuttal: IQ tests are not at all subjective in fact they are quite the opposite. They are made to test an individuals ability to learn and understand.

Counterpoint: The current system tests how long you have been alive to place you. so which one is the better measurement. it is not a feet of personal achievement in this day and age to reach the age of 6.

Con point 2) A 10 year old in a class with 14 year olds would feel left out.

Rebuttal: The statement "A 10 year old in a class with 14 year olds" is a fallacy of omission. You claim that this child is the only one affected by the change of school system. You then continue to draw your conclusion from that saying he would feel left out. The premise is false so thus it does not necessarily follow that the conclusion is true.

However,to refute the latter, all of the students would vary in age putting a range of different aged students with similar learning abilities in the same class. If anything the students would all feel more like a group, rather than individuals that share a birth year, because they would share something on the most fundamental level.

Counterpoint: I can tell you from personal experience that a child with a higher IQ in a class the does not suit him most certainly does not feel like part of the group. As this student dredges through the menial tasks that make up the third grade questioning why they are still on such a simple subject he will be reprimanded for growing bored.

Con point 3) IQ test are not very accurate; so a very smart person may not have a good memory thus getting a lower IQ and in a worse class.

Rebuttal: IQ tests are not based on memory they are based on problem solving. As such a smart person with bad memory would not do poorly on an IQ test. As for the accuracy of the test; it is true that some tests may be slightly inaccurate if a switch was made to this system I'm sure time would prove a beneficial factor in boosting the accuracy of said tests.
porcupinesRcool

Con

An IQ test does not analyze an child's rate of learning, mental capacity, or emotional maturity. Although we can argue that school is not a place for social action, a child who is exceptionally bright and smart is placed in a class with kids older than him or her, he is an easier target for bullying. The child being bullied may not be able to keep up with their schoolwork because of the torment they are receiving from their peers. Which might cause suicidal actions or thoughts on behalf of the child being bullied.
KalleS

Pro

Con point 1) An IQ test does not analyze an child's rate of learning, mental capacity, or emotional maturity

Rebuttal: I have two key issues. you have deviated from the absolute purpose of the debate as this is bringing into question the validity of the IQ test. I am not here to defend the honor of a probably flawed IQ test because in reality they have not been around long enough and have not been a key factor in education long enough to have been given a proper evaluation or proper alteration to assure its correctness. I touched on this before when I said "As for the accuracy of the test; it is true that some tests may be slightly inaccurate if a switch was made to this system I'm sure time would prove a beneficial factor in boosting the accuracy of said tests."

Counterpoint: this being said I would like to point out that nothing is perfect to start out. You never jump into a new system without experiencing some flaws but that is how we learn as humans and as society. Humans are based on a system of striving for truth and perfection; where there is a need for improvement improvement will be made.

Con point 2) A child who is exceptionally bright and smart is placed in a class with kids older than him or her, he is an easier target for bullying...

Rebuttal: Well assuming you took what I said to heart and now are claiming the youngest in a range of children would be the target let us take a deeper look at this issue. This may get a bit complex but try to bear with me and keep an open mind. There is something you need to understand. You are stuck in a static paradigm. You attribute age based bullying to itself meaning that it is a self sustaining idea that needs no outside force or fuel. However it is not self sustaining. The only reason age based bullying exists is because of the emphasis we put on age. specifically in the department of education so what you think would perpetuate it could in fact end it. Our schools even label every child with how long they attended school. it is a simple case of 3 is better than 2 is better than 1.
porcupinesRcool

Con

porcupinesRcool forfeited this round.
KalleS

Pro

KalleS forfeited this round.
porcupinesRcool

Con

porcupinesRcool forfeited this round.
KalleS

Pro

what a shame.
Vote Placed by wiploc 3 years ago
wiploc
porcupinesRcoolKalleSTied
Vote Placed by Emily77 3 years ago
Emily77
porcupinesRcoolKalleSTied
Reasons for voting decision: This was a pretty fail debate. What a pity; it's really interesting subject.