Sarah25
Death23

IS dance a sport?

Death23
Started: 5/13/2015 Category: Sports

Sarah25

Pro

Dance. dance is a an art form and an entertainment BUT it is also a sport. If you look at my picture you can't just do that in a single day it takes practice. I've heard a lot of people say that dancers don't have goals like athletes and dancers can't get hurt just from dancing. and it's not in the olympics and you're not working as hard like athletes are you're just learning choreography (I am sorry for spelling very bad at it). All of this Is wrong. Dancers have goals whether it's learning how to do a pirouette or getting our line perfect but we all have one goal that we share Dancers are constantly chasing perfection we want everything to be perfect. And as for getting hurt yes we can and we do dancers can easily pull a muscle or tendon from stretching we can sprain or break your foot from coming down from a leep we can twist sprain or break our arms hands or finger from just doing a simple cartwheel pushing up from the ground hitting it on something as were turning or lifting ourselves up. hell we can break our necks just by throwing it back or rolling the wrong way or not stretching it. the olympics pleas do you know how many sports are not in the olympics such as football, basketball, idk for sure but soccer and baseball. and not working hard and just choreography uh I don't think so we not only have to push ups sit ups purpose wall sits sometimes suicides and yes there is choreography in there but you also have to memorise it and this is all just for when you have practice in the studio but you also have to do lifts and be lifted and there's a lot more to it then get lifted in the air you have to keep your line perfect and toes pointed depending on the dance so in reality DANCE IS A SPORT.
Death23

Con

For something to be a sport it must be de done competitively. Dance is not a sport because it typically is not done competitively.

Perusing five major online dictionaries for the definition of “sport”, I have seen the following definitions listed first for the noun “sport” –

American Heritage Dictionary [1] –

“An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.”

Collins Dictionary [2] –

an individual or group activity pursued for exercise or pleasure, often involving the testing of physical capabilities and taking the form of a competitive game such as football, tennis, etc”

MacMillan Dictionary [3] –

“an activity in which players or teams compete against each other, usually an activity that involves physical effort”

Merriam Webster Dictionary [4] –

a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other”

Oxford Dictionaries [5] –

“An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment”

Sources -

1 - https://www.ahdictionary.com...

2 - http://www.collinsdictionary.com...

3 - http://www.macmillandictionary.com...

4 - http://www.merriam-webster.com...

5 - http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...

Sarah25

Pro

Dance is a sport because it is done competitively because dance does have competitions they have judges and they do scoring they also jude who is in first who is in second and third and fourth. Ok all these are definitions then let me use these against you for a moment

"An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively."--- Dance takes skill such as toes pointed pirates are being spotted you are not traveling and your legs are not scaling and your lines are perfect the dance world does take rules and dancers are very competitive this is called Competitive dance is a popular, widespread activity in which competitors perform dances in any of several permitted dance styles"such as acro, ballet, jazz, hip-hop, lyrical, modern, and tap"before a common group of judges. This is in contrast with other activities that involve competition among dancers based on purpose, or specific dance style, such as pom squad and dancesport.

(2015 Dance Competitions - StarQuest Performing Arts. There's a competition for you)

The competitive dance industry largely consists of competition production companies"also sometimes called dance competition companies"that conduct regional competitions at stops along their annual, nationwide tours. Dancers who compete at these regional competitions are students ranging in age from approximately four to eighteen years old. Dance schools (often referred to as dance studios) arrange for their classes to compete as groups. Advanced dancers may be chosen to compete solos, duets, trios, or in a small group dance in addition to or in place of large group routines. Competitions typically begin in January and end in July or August just like any other competitive sport it has a date set.

"an individual or group activity pursued for exercise or pleasure, often involving the testing of physical capabilities and taking the form of a competitive game such as football, tennis, etc"----Like I point it out in the upper paragraph it is also a group activity and it feels good to dance (pleasure) testing physical capabilities, Lifts and getting hurt dancing through the pain and you can't just do what professionals do in one day it takes practice and dedication like any other sport.

"an activity in which players or teams compete against each other, usually an activity that involves physical effort"---- Dance takes a lot of effort because you're constantly moving any part of your body and each dance team is competing against another dance team or we call it a studio or company

"a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other"----Its a contest of who is the best dancer and who will survive the rounds of dance they do a lot of physical activities such as runny stretching push ups they jump leap turns on there toes and feet they compete against one another a title and the competitions have rule and there coaches have rules yes the dance persian who is teaching them the choreographer is also call the dance coach.

"An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment" this was all just written above
You basically repeated the others so let me repeat something for you everything I wrote is true and everything that I wrote in the first box is also true so the thing I'm going to repeat for everyone who does not agree and agrees with the con person her it is
DANCE IS A SPORT (proof provided in the above paragraph)
Death23

Con

This is a matter of degree. Virtually all physical activities can be done, and occasionally are done, competitively. Swimming, hiking, running, snowboarding, skating, biking, etc. As I said in the prior round, "Dance is not a sport because it is typically not done competitively." This is not the same as claiming that no dance is sport. Some dance certainly is sport, but taking it as a whole, most of it isn't. Dance is an art and a competitor is unnecessary and often absent. Contrast this with soccer, hockey, football, basketball, tennis, and baseball which can't even be played without opponents.

My opponent brings the claim - The burden of proof is on my opponent to demonstrate that dance is a sport. A limited number of examples of competitive dance is insufficient.
Sarah25

Pro

Its not a matter of degree the fact that you just admitted that Dance is a sport
and I Quote "The burden of proof is on my opponent to demonstrate that dance is a sport. A limited number of examples of competitive dance is insufficient."
You basically just said that dance was a sport it is done competitively and like I said there are other dance studios and teams that you compete against if you watch dancing with the stare they do ballroom and you can see during practice how much it takes if you watch dance moms the stuff they do is no joke yes dance can also be a form of entertainment but so is basketball and football some do those sports for fun some do it for a creer dance is the same way. A lot of athletes like professional athletes have to take dance class they are required to do it Michael sam had to take dance classes and he was in dancing with the stare. Dont judge something until you've done it yourself. If you're saying dance is not a sport and you're talking about one dance it doesn't matter you're still talking about dance. all dances are considered a sport you are constantly moving weather it's fast medium or slow you are still constantly moving and you do realize that some of the things you said didn't really make sense
Death23

Con

"Dance" encompasses both competitive and non-competitive dance. Competitive dance is a sport. Non-competitive dance is not a sport. So, this is a case where we must determine whether or not dance, as a whole, is a sport. On balance, it is not because the majority of dance is non-competitive. Let me put it another way:

Suppose someone had made the claim that "Mammals lay eggs." "Mammals" encompasses both egg-laying mammals and non-egg-laying mammals. The majority of mammals do not lay eggs. On that basis, I would refute the assertion. There are the platypus and echidnas, but come on. That's not enough to show that the assertion is true.
Sarah25

Pro

We are not talking about mammals we are talking about dance and either way dance as a whole is a sport thats what ive been talking about this whole time dance as a whole is a sport african dance, ballroom dancing, contemporary, ballet, modern, lyrical, hip hop, jazz, river, belly, show girls, rockets, hawaiian dancing, tap dancing, line dancing, square dancing, samba, rumba, tango, paso doble, waltz. all and more are considered dance and each one are similar or have some type of move in coming som are done differently then others but each dance is unique and the are all coniderd a sport dance as whole is a sport. theyeach take a lot of time effert practice techniqe perfection in every step choryacrphy and everthing so dance is a Sport .
Death23

Con

My opponent lists many different types of dance and alleges that they are sports, but the only support offered for this conclusion is that these dances take time, effort, practice, technique, perfection in every step, choreography, "and everthing." My opponent did not address the primary problem that I brought attention to - The non-competitive nature of dance.
Posted by Sarah25 1 year ago
Sarah25
I apoligize if im coming off rude in the way i type things I dont mean it to com ouyt that way and i was not arguing about the voting system at all to be honest I hardly know how to work this at all I was just leting him know that it didnt really make sence to me.
Posted by Death23 1 year ago
Death23
His vote didn't make sense to me either, but he is not required to explain it due to the voting options that you chose when you created this debate. It isn't appropriate for the debaters to argue about the resolution in the comments section because doing so may cause prospective voters to be influenced by arguments that were not part of the debate.
Posted by Sarah25 1 year ago
Sarah25
by the way that made no sense to say you agreed with one person and you agree after but you said the other person mad the more convincing argument.
Posted by Sarah25 1 year ago
Sarah25
that's not what I mean when I say practice the fact that football and sports practice on a day to day basis and the things they do in practice is what i was talking about. and by the way the guy was complete off subject the debate was about if dance was a sport not if it was competitive because everyone nose its competitive because theirs competitive dance (other resion's listed in the debate)
Posted by GOAT_23_6 1 year ago
GOAT_23_6
Just because you have to practice, doesn't make it a sport.. Is band a sport?
Posted by Sarah25 1 year ago
Sarah25
so did you change your mind is that what your saying
Posted by TBSmothers 1 year ago
TBSmothers
i think that dance is a sport even though I just finished a debate in which I argued that it wasn't.
Vote Placed by GOAT_23_6 1 year ago
GOAT_23_6
Sarah25Death23Tied