Mussab
Anthonyd114

ISIS represents Islam

Mussab

Con

I'll give my opponent the chance to show his first argument. I challenged him to this debate because his previous opponent was unqualified in my opinion. I think he barely knew the Quran (no offense).

There are no specific rules, just be rational, don't rant, stay on topic, etc.
Anthonyd114

Pro

My friend I accept this debate. I will let you post your argument first.
Mussab

Con

Mussab forfeited this round.
Anthonyd114

Pro

You wish to refute my argument about ISIS representing Islam. I have gone five rounds with my previous opponent. You believe my opponent was not worthy. I have already stated my points. I have used Quranic references and i can also cite Hadith. It is your turn to try to prove me wrong.
Mussab

Con

I am really sorry about this. i completely forgot that I had a debate until now.
In your previous debate, you didn't cite any references. Can you do it again?

I forgot to show my reasoning
P1. Islam is represented by who follows its teachings correctly
P2. ISIS doesn't follow Islam's teachings
Conclusion. ISIS doesn't represent Islam

Premise 1 is self evident. A person only represents his religion if his actions are based on his religion
Premise 2 is due to the lack of references that Islam promotes killing based on religion. My opponent has the burden of proof.
Anthonyd114

Pro

Actually I did cite 2 specific verses from the quran, 9:5 and 9:25. 9:5 is probably the most controversial verse in the quran and this is what Isis uses to justify their actions. Some say that 9:5 only applies to the muslims of the time, but then how do you distinguish what applies to he time of muhammad and what is law? After all the quran is a book of everlasting and permanent law. You say a person only represent his religion if his actions are based on his religion. Well in 9:5 the Quran says "kill the mushriks wherever you find them...but if they repent and establish salah and pay zakat leave their way." Mushriks is a term that can translate to either polytheist or idolaters, which means people who don't believe in islam. So I think Isis' actions are based on the religion that they practice.
There are a few hadith that allow the execution of apostates. Verse 9:25 also sanctions the jizya on non muslims. And what would be the penalty if the jizya is not paid? Death
Mussab

Con

Mussab forfeited this round.
Anthonyd114

Pro

Anthonyd114 forfeited this round.
Mussab

Con

Mussab forfeited this round.
Anthonyd114

Pro

Anthonyd114 forfeited this round.
Posted by Mussab 2 years ago
Mussab
http://www.debate.org...
Continuation of debate