EvanBerrett
4567TME

Ice Cream is the best dessert

4567TME

EvanBerrett

Pro

Thank you for your interest. First round is for establishing main arguments. Following arguments will be in support of debater's own argument and a critique of the opposition.

Main arguments:
  • The variety of Ice cream flavors and extras gives it the best chance for everyone to enjoy
  • It is typically cheaper than most other deserts that are Ready-To-Eat (RTE) i.e. Cakes, Pies, etc.
  • Many people use Ice Cream in addition to other desserts to make them better
4567TME

Con

Thank you Pro for this debate. I hope that we can keep this as civilized as possible, so we don't end up throwing ice cream at each other while screaming obscenities.

And for the record, I like ice cream, but it's not my favorite. Don't think I'm a dessert hating monster. :)

Main Arguments:
  • In my home nation of the United States, a country that is certainly known for consuming large amounts of sugar, ice cream only ranks #5 on a list of the top 10 most popular desserts. [1] With many ahead, how can this be the best?
  • The fact that there are a seemingly infinite number of desserts, from countless different cultures, ranging from frozen confectioneries to baked goods, can a dish that really only existed in its most currently recognized form and name since the 18th century [2] be seen as superior to all others?
  • Unless regularly attended to, ice cream melts. It is a very temperature-centric dessert, and not good for extended periods of time away from a controlled environment (e.g. freezer).

1. recipes.howstuffworks.com/food-facts/5-most-popular-desserts-in-america.htm
  2. http://inventors.about.com... (See "First Ice Cream Parlor In America - Origins Of English Name")
EvanBerrett

Pro

Thank you Con for accepting. Have no fear, throwing ice cream would be a waste of perfectly good ice cream :)

Support for Pro arguments

Flavors:
If there's one thing that sets Ice Cream apart, it has to be the sheer variety to appeal to all tastes. It's functionality as a dessert is quite unprecedented. Ben and Jerry's website alone advertises 108 flavors to appeal to everyone possible. While other desserts mimick this, few are able to have such variety while keeping the core ingredients the same.

Cheaper: Think of the dessert-only restaurants out there. I believe it wouldn't be in error to say Ice cream dominates the market in budget-friendly and quick desserts. For example, Artic Circle, Dairy Queen, Baskin Robbins, and so on and so forth. The nearest opposition I can think of is donuts or cupcakes (a recent development mind you). Why? because they are cheap to make and cheap to buy. At the retail store, if you wanted to feed dessert to a family of eight, you have a few options. A cake costs you 14-15 bucks for 1 piece each (http://answers.yahoo.com...), You could get a $3 package of Oreos from Walmart and hope that everyone likes Oreos (but likely end up getting something else too making it $6), or you could maybe get popsicles which range in quality or price. A gallon of Ice Cream also varies in price but will feed 8 and usually ranges from $5 - $8.

Many people use Ice Cream as an Addition: I'm not sure you could dispute this. Indeed, in Con's argument, in the supposed top 10, numbers 1-4 are commonly paired with Ice cream at all sorts of parties.

Response to Con's arguments

Top desserts Ranking: Good find. I would dispute the article, however, because I couldnt see anything that said the desserts are actually in order of best-loved or what have you. Rather, it is most popular and popularity does not necessarily determine "best". However, if you were to use popularity, include this article about the most popular desserts in the world: http://www.magforwomen.com.... Note that although Ice Cream is #6, it is the only dessert from the list you shared that made it onto the world list and visa versa. The only dessert that makes both lists? must be pretty irresistable.

Incredible Variety: It is true there are A LOT of desserts out there. My question however was in the present tense and therefore will remain such. It's longevity or history is of no consequence since it is declared that Ice Cream is the Best dessert, period.

It Melts: It is true that ice cream melts, and thus it can get messy. I would cite this as a pro, however, in matters of weight management and good eating habits. Thousands, millions suffer from over-eating, impulse snacking, etc. Often, especially in my case, the problem is once the dessert is seen, it cannot be denied; the temptation is too strong. Since Ice Cream must be stored away in a Freezer, one would only see if it if a) they needed something from the freezer) or b) they were going straight for the Ice cream. Typically freezers I would believe are not accessed near as other spaces that hold other desserts such as the refrigerator, counter-tops, pantries, etc. Also, one is compelled to only take as much ice cream as they can keep from melting. During summer times, if you buy a cone from some vendor, you must take into account the fact that that ice cream will melt on your hand if you don't eat it fast enough. Therefore, I end up eating less to prevent this.
4567TME

Con

Support for Con Arguments
Popularity
(or lack thereof) While it is indeed true that this made it on to the top ten list, the fact it doesn't even cross into the top 3 does make me suspicious of the claim it is the "best".
Range of Desserts It's hard to pick a top as the king of all with so many around. In fact, this may dispute Pro's claim of it being the best around the world. Think about it. Ice cream is a basic dish, and the history spreads around the world. But just because something is international doesn't really mean that it has any points over anything else.
It Melts Pro's argument doesn't really work. Claiming that the fact it melts will stop you from overeating doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, along with eating faster. If you eat faster, you're prone to eat more [1]. Although Pro appears to be speaking from personal experience, this isn't the case with everybody.

Opposition to Pro Arguments
Flavors
It can't be denied, ice cream has a lot of flavors. But think about it, many of them introduce more things. Chocolate chips, fruit, etc. This could possibly mean that it needs additional items to be more appealing.
Cheaper Not always. Most people buy ice creams already made. You can make cakes, pies, and cookies from home, using inexpensive ingredients and tools you already have in your house. This also gives you a chance to be creative.
Ice Cream as an Addition: Isn't it kind of worrying that numbers 1 - 4 use ice cream as a side? If it's the best, how come it's paired with others as just an accompaniment?

1. http://www.webmd.com...
EvanBerrett

Pro

EvanBerrett forfeited this round.
4567TME

Con

Um... it appears opponent forfeited Round 3. Huh. The way he set up the debate doesn't really let me contribute much if he doesn't so, I'll just leave this as a placeholder.
EvanBerrett

Pro

Sorry, terrible time to get terribly busy. I do apologize.

In Response

Popularity: I still question if whether or not those lists are in any real order. I believe that just the fact that Ice Cream was the only one on both lists makes it number one overall.
Range of Desserts: Indeed we, as the human race, have done extremely well at creating a vast assortment of desserts. However, I do believe that it can be the best in the world because of its extreme variety. Imagine for a minute if you were to bring a dessert to every person in the world, keeping in mind that different peoples have varying tastes. What dessert would be appropriate to satisfy every person in the world? Considering the variety of flavors ice cream provides and the overwhelming warm climates (not to mention the possibility of future global warming :P ), Ice cream is the natural choice. Not everyone likes cookies, not everyone likes cake (i.e. my wife), pies are possible, but the flavors are limited and you don't want to give a whole pie to someone if you're trying to feed the whole world. Not everyone even likes brownies. Ice cream in it's purest form can be altered in so many combinations to satisfy everyone.
It Melts: Eating faster isn't really a concern with Ice cream, I believe. Unless you buy it by the gallon, you are ultimately limited in how you eat it. Many people get it by the cone, cup, or otherwise from ice cream shops and won't go back for more and more. So overeating won't be a problem. You're thinking about eating something "too fast" instead of faster. I argue that rather than someone taking a lot and eating it too fast, that people take what they can, knowing it melts. They may eat it faster, but brain freezes keep you from eating it too fast.

Final Pro Arguments

Flavors: You're right, some people might need more things to be more appealing, but that I think is a plus. How many desserts can you do that to? I for one have been at get-togethers where desserts were provided that I simply just feel like having. What if you feel like something fruity, or something crunchy, or something sweet, or something tangy? What dessert has all the options that you can get from that? Ice Cream. Not only that, but you have the freedom to scale up or down those elements, whereas with say cookies, you make a batch and they are all the same.
Cheaper: Break it down and think about how much you're actually saving by using cake mixes and such. Those ingredients, whether you make it from scratch or from a mix are still going to cost you money that you don't see leaving your pockets right away. For example, a cake mix may be $2, but you still have to add milk and eggs, and then you need a pan to bake it in, not to mention an oven, and likely frosting on the side. Cookie mixes need a pan to bake on, eggs, water, and are like $3 a pack for only maybe 16 decent sized cookies. Make it all from scratch and you need milk, eggs, flour, sugar (brown, white, etc.), baking powder or soda, oil, and so on and so forth, not to mention the extra things you add such as chocolate goods. Ice cream, from the store, needs the Ice cream, a bowl, and a spoon. While you spend the time baking cakes or making your cookies, I'll sit in front of the computer with my ice cream and fulfill orders for my business on the side.
Ice Cream as an Addition: I don't find it worrisome at all. I don't think it was just an accompaniment, I think it was a necessity. Not only is everything better with Ice Cream, but it revolutionizes the whole dessert bar. While you could pick from an assortment of cookies, brownies, etc. introduce Ice cream and suddenly the whole dynamic changes. Ice Cream takes center stage and the inclusion of other desserts becomes a challenge to see how good of an ice cream concoction you can create!

Thanks for the great debate, I apologize for taking so long to finish it. It's been a delight and I hope to debate with you again soon.
4567TME

Con

Thank you Pro, for this marvelous debate. This is the fourth I've participated in, and if my regular luck stands, my fourth loss... :(

Support of Con Arguments
Popularity Remember, popularity =/= quality. Just as movies that make a lot of money aren't neccesairily the best ever made, just because a lot of people have heard of ice cream doesn't make it the best. This, however, does not contradict my statement in Round 1. As if it is not popular whatsoever, then it has no chance of being the best. These two statements may be related, but they are in no way synonymous.
Range of Desserts Pro writes of a scenario where he offers a dessert to all in the world, and assumes ice cream will come out on top. I do not believe that would be the case. He writes, "ice cream in it's [sic] purest form can be altered in so many combinations to satisfy everyone." However, he forgets the demographic of people with dairy allergies, whether full or select. If the condition is severe enough, sufferers, particularly younger children [1], could have dangerous health reactions to a substance with so much milk. This cannot satisfy everyone.
It Melts Still true. And as Pro inadvertently pointed out in his statement, ice cream has an unwanted side effect, sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia [2], a.k.a. brain freeze. If you eat it too fast, you'll get a headache. If you eat it too slow, it melts. Where do you win?

Response to Pro Arguments
Flavors

"You're right, some people might need more things to be more appealing, but that I think is a plus. How many desserts can you do that to?"
I'd argue that this is a component of most, if not all desserts. Possibly all foods in general. If one makes it themselves, they can change foods or food recipes around to better suit them. This is not just a subject limited to ice cream, and further more may be needed for ice cream to exist. Even the most basic forms of ice cream require supplements. Vanilla ice cream has, well, vanilla flavoring to make it appealing. I doubt that most reading this have seen an ice cream with absolutely no flavoring whatsoever.
Cheaper
" Cookie mixes need a pan to bake on, eggs, water, and are like $3 a pack for only maybe 16 decent sized cookies."
While quantities of cookies can vary by price due to content and quantity, often the same amount of ice cream have high price variation based on the brand. Go to most convenience stores and look at the prices from companies like Ben & Jerry's, and their price for one pint. It is quite high for just sugar, cream, and assorted flavorings and additives.
Ice Cream as an Addition:
"Ice Cream takes center stage and the inclusion of other desserts becomes a challenge to see how good of an ice cream concoction you can create!"
What Pro once again says is that ice cream is only at its best when other desserts accompany its existence. This, once more I'll say, is a nearly undeniable weakness to ice cream.

I thank Pro once again, he was a very good opponent. However, ice cream simply cannot be considered the best dessert. The fact that is a temperature fickle substance, and is most praised by my opponent when with other foods only exposes is deficiencies. It is good, but it cannot be seriously considered the best.

1. https://allergicliving.com...
  2. http://en.wikipedia.org...

Posted by Rational_Thinker9119 3 years ago
Rational_Thinker9119
No worries :)
Posted by 4567TME 3 years ago
4567TME
I apologize for coming off as hostile.
Rational_Thinker9119
I'll take back my vote anyway and be the bigger man. I just wanted to let you know, that I do not feel your vote is valid, as even my opponent admitted my argument could not be beat. Thank you for voting anyway.
Rational_Thinker9119
"I would say the way you worded your vote here made it appear as some kind of attack on me, or what I wrote."

It was not an attack on you. I do not feel your vote is valid, as my argument in the debate was non-refutable and my opponent admitted it; yet you have him arguments based on what you subjective "liked" better, not on whether the resolution was established or not. That is not fair. If you think my vote is not fair, then I guess we are even.
Posted by 4567TME 3 years ago
4567TME
I would say the way you worded your vote here made it appear as some kind of attack on me, or what I wrote.
Rational_Thinker9119
Your vote was invalid in humble opinion sir, it has nothing to do with me being upset. Con admitted my argument could not be refuted:

"Again, though, technically the argument cannot be refuted as a fundamental contradiction is built-in to Pro's assumed definitions."

The way I worded everything was non-refutable. Therefore, to be honest, it should not really matter what you "like better". If I have an argument that 2+2=4, but you like the other persons argument better, I should still win because my argument is airtight. Logic and math both follow deduction. Even though you liked his arguments better, I still established the resolution as true. Therefore, I do not think your vote was very fair at all, as even my opponent essentially admit he lost.
Posted by 4567TME 3 years ago
4567TME
I'd ask that voters disregard rational_thinker9119's vote, as he is using the exact terminology I used in a genuine vote on his debate, and is just too upset that I liked the other guy's argument better.
Posted by MassiveDump 3 years ago
MassiveDump
If I wasn't lazy, I'd argue that justice was the best dessert.
Vote Placed by Gaurdian_Rock 3 years ago
Gaurdian_Rock
EvanBerrett4567TMETied
Reasons for voting decision: FF, and, strong support of ideas, like I quote "While it is indeed true that this made it on to the top ten list, the fact it doesn't even cross into the top 3 does make me suspicious of the claim it is the "best"."
Vote Placed by Rational_Thinker9119 3 years ago
Rational_Thinker9119
EvanBerrett4567TMETied
Reasons for voting decision: I'll take my vote.
Vote Placed by MassiveDump 3 years ago
MassiveDump
EvanBerrett4567TMETied
Reasons for voting decision: You're both wrong. JUSTICE is the best dessert. But here's a conduct point for not forfeiting con. You sure put the CON in CONduct!!! ;D! okay I'll leave now