whitesoxman77
Hardcore.Pwnography

Ice Hockey Hardest Sport to Play at the Professional Level.

Hardcore.Pwnography
Started: 12/3/2011 Category: Sports

whitesoxman77

Pro

Ice Hockey is by far the most difficult sport to master and to play at the professional level. Unlike most sports we enjoy today, a person can not simply put on his/her shoes and just go play ice hockey; he/she must learn to ice skate before hand. Ice skating is often the most overlooked facet of the game. So before you even decide, "Hey, I wanna play ice hockey!" You must learn to ice skate, and be very good at it because ice hockey can be a very dangerous game if you do not know how to skate.

This brings me into my next point, the physical aspect of the game. Just as in football, ice hockey players are constantly placing their bodies on the line. Whether a defender is taking a blistering 90mph slap shot to the face (warning videos include blood and are gruesome) () or you are on the wrong end of a skate blade () you and your body are constantly being beaten and tested. Just imagine being on the ice, along the side boards, you are about to receive a pass, but you have 6'9 Zdeno Chara bearing down on you, possibly about to kill you. It's this aspect of the game that gets my most attention and makes me respect ice hockey players more.

Going back to our passing situation. Having that huge defenseman on you would probably break your focus right? Well that isn't the case for NHL'rs. Because they get paid such large amounts of money they are expected to get that pass and still make a scoring chance out of it. There is a reason a hawk's wide open eyes are plastered onto most goalie masks around the league and that is because the goalie, and all other players on the ice, must be the epitamy of focus while on the ice. Because simple fundamentals of ice hockey require a lot of skill. Take passing, again. A player must have good hand eye coordination in order to keep the puck on his stick and under control, but then he must use that hand eye coordination in order to push the puck toward his teammate, most of the time while skating (remember skating isn't easy either). I can elaborate on more instances of hockey skills if you would like but I want to get into the debate before needing to elaborate if necessary.

I am excited to see your response because this has always been a hot debate in the sports world and would like to see what sport you choose, and your respective points. Thanks!
Hardcore.Pwnography

Con

Thanks to Pro for instigating this debate.
Okay, it is my belief that all sports are equally difficult to play at a professional level, and that's what I will be proving to you. I know that Pro asked me to choose a sport, but as all sports are equally difficult, there is really no point in choosing any single sport.

First, let's take a look at the definition of hardest, or difficult.
According to Merriam Webster, difficult is defined as: hard to do, make, or carry out.
http://www.merriam-webster.com...;

The main point of all of Pro's arguments is that Hockey is a very dangerous sport. The more dangerous a sport is, does not mean that the sport is much more difficult to play. I agree that some sports are much more dangerous than others, but I disagree with Pro when he uses danger as a basis of how difficult a sport is.

Okay, I will get into a rebuttal of Pro's arguments.

Refutation 1:

Pro states that "Unlike most sports we enjoy today, a person can not simply put on his/her shoes and just go play ice hockey; he/she must learn to ice skate before hand".

First, I would assume that if you do not know how to skate, you would not be a professional hockey player. I must remind everyone that the topic that we are debating today is the Ice Hockey is the Hardest Sport to Play at the Professional Level. This means that all players will already know how to skate.

And what about water sports like swimming, or water polo? These sports you need to know how to swim in order to play. I would say that swimming is much harder to learn than skating, as skating is pretty much just running on ice.

Hockey could potentially be the hardest sport to learn but not the hardest sport to play at the professional level.

Refutation 2:

This is an argument about the danger of Hockey. But if a sport is much more dangerous, does it mean that it is much more difficult to play?

Let's take a look at some other dangerous sports.

Skydiving. Skydiving is an extremely dangerous sport. By Pro's logic, this means that this sport is also very difficult to play. However, it is not. All you have to do is to pull your ripcord while you're in the air to deploy your parachute. It is very easy to do.

UFC Fighting. Also an extremely dangerous sport. But all you do is punch the other person and avoid getting punched. Also not a very difficult sport to play.

Okay I have shown you 2 other dangerous sports. What you're essentially saying in this argument is that Hockey is a difficult sport to play, simply because it is dangerous. No. Just because a sport is dangerous, it doesn't mean that that sport is difficult to play.

Refutation 3:

Pro says that "Because simple fundamentals of ice hockey require a lot of skill. Take passing, again. A player must have good hand eye coordination in order to keep the puck on his stick and under control, but then he must use that hand eye coordination in order to push the puck toward his teammate, most of the time while skating."

Once again, these are pro players, so they already know how to do these skills.
However, other sports require focus and hand-eye coordination as well. Hockey is not the only sport that requires this focus.

In basketball, for example, you need good hand-eye coordination to score 3-pointers, to pass to your teammates. You need focus in order to score that layup, or that free throw.

In football, you need good hand-eye coordination to throw those long passes, to score that field goal. You need focus in order to run as far as you can to get a touchdown.

In badminton or tennis, you need good hand-eye coordination in order to even hit the birdie or ball. You need focus in order to predict where your opponent will hit the ball to.

As you see, hockey is not the only sport that requires hand-eye coordination and focus. I have shown you many other sports that require the same skills. And just in case Pro says that skating is difficult to learn, I would say swimming is much harder to learn, as there are several different strokes that you need to learn. Therefore, hockey is not the hardest sport to play on the professional level, all sports are equally difficult.

Arguments:

Okay, let's get into some arguments.

1. Skills

All sports require some skill in order to play them at the professional level. Hockey is not the only sport. It really differs from person to person. Some people may find skating easy to pick up, while others may find swimming much easier to learn. You cannot generalize all people under one category and just say that hockey is the most difficult sport to play. All sports have their advantages and disadvantages and the difficulty of each sport will vary from person to person.

For example, let's use math.
Okay, so I'm asian, and you're probably european, I would assume.

I find math easy to learn and do. You would probably find math difficult, and you can't understand certain concepts.
However, when we learn about european history, it would be much easier for you, than for me.

What I'm saying here is that some people find certain things easier than other people. I can't just say that math is the easiet subject, because what about you then? Since you find math difficult, my statement would then be false.

It is the same with this resolution. You're categorizing all professional players and saying that hockey is the hardest sport to play. What if someone finds hockey easy? Like Wayne Gretzky for example. Then you're statement would be false.

Conclusion:

The only way you're statement can be true is if you can prove that all professional hockey players find hockey the most difficult sport to play at a professional level.

Then, you would also have to make sure that these pro hockey players also have to play other sports at a professional level, otherwise their opinion would be biased. There is no possible way you can do that.

Therefore you have lost this debate.

Vote Pro !

whitesoxman77

Pro

I would like to thank con for accepting the difficult challenge of debating the most difficult sport with me.

I would like to start my stating my disappointment in con for deviating from the planned debate, but we can be flexible for the sake of time and amicability.

In Con's first refutation he states the he would assume that if you do not know how to ice skate he hope you would not be playing professional hockey, and I agree, but he is leaving out one major thing about professional sports. Each and everyday of their lives including their professional career they are constantly learning and re-mastering fundamental skills. So even though we are debating common fundamental skills, you can not deny that a professional player at one time had to learn how to play the game, and must continue to practice. I chose the professional level of play so that common rules would be placed into effect instead of certain rule sets where balks are not counted in baseball or checking isn't allowed in hockey, or any other rule differences among different age groups. I gave you flexibility, I think I may appeal to you for some leniency in this instance.

In addition to mastering skating, which if anyone has ever tried before, you know it is very difficult to simply go slowly with your girlfriend, much less go balls out towards a puck with a defender hanging on your back. A hockey player must also learn how to use his stick as an extension of his hands, which is not easy to get used to either because the stick is not a part of your body as in soccer or basketball where you can use your feet and hands respectively. Applying more to the professional level a hockey player must also be quick to think as there is a certain strategy to the game that takes more than a couple years to master. A player must learn where to move without the puck as well as with it, and players must jostle with defenders in order to get that crucial positioning, in addition to the offensive side, players must also recognize the same opportunities the other team has while they are playing defense.

Conclusion: Although Con would like to make my mastering skating argument irrelevant the fact of the matter is that hockey players must continue to practice and work hard at that skill in order to maintain their high level of play. In addition if a hockey player suffers an injury he/she must, in some cases, completely re-learn how to skate and play in general. While he/she will pick up the concept more quickly the fact of the matter is there are more skills a player must master and practice in professional ice hockey than say boxing where they must only learn to punch, or football where players must mainly know how to kick and ball handle.

In Con's second refutation he/she has misunderstood the my argument. I am not saying that a sport's danger defines it's difficulty, but instead that danger compliments the skills the players on the ice possess and perform. in this video we see Blackhawks defenseman Brian Campbell skate back to track down a loose puck with Capitals forward Alex Ovechkin, known as a dirty player on his back. In the video at the 0:04 mark we see Campbell look back and see Ovechkin, knowing full well that he will be hit on this play Campbell maintains focus, tracks down the puck, and gets rid of it. A display of speed, skating, hand-eye coordination, strength, and most importantly focus all in one simple hockey play. You can see it again here where Vernon Fiddler at the 0:03 second mark tenses up because he knows a hit is coming but keeps focus on a get rid of the puck. I can pull this examples all day. The point is that yes hockey being dangerous does not make it the hardest sport to play, but the danger the players are put through and the skills they are expected to being able to command under that danger make ice hockey a difficult sport.

In Con's their refutation we see him/her come back to a point made earlier which I have already touched upon. Even though the skills are expected of pros you can deny the fact that they have once had to learn the skills, and they must still continue to practice and master that skill in the present. But Con does bring up an interesting point, "As you see, hockey is not the only sport that requires hand-eye coordination and focus. I have shown you many other sports that require the same skills. And just in case Pro says that skating is difficult to learn, I would say swimming is much harder to learn, as there are several different strokes that you need to learn. Therefore, hockey is not the hardest sport to play on the professional level, all sports are equally difficult." In the excerpt above con basically states that difficulty is relative, which is the whole basis of his argument, which I must admit is a tad bit annoying, no offense con, but everything can be relative. Hitler is evil to me, but I'm sure the White Power group down the street thinks of him as revolutionary, so I view your whole argument invalid in a debate setting. In addition you view swimming as harder, but I can guarantee you there are more people who can swim around the world than there are who ice skate, one continent in particular comes to mind. *Cough*Africa*cough* And with a whole continent out of the running I would say I have substantial evidence to refute that point.

Argument: Con unfortunately I can not provide you with a player who has experienced both professional ice hockey and another sport. I think I know why though, because ice hockey players must devote their full attention and focus to their sport because they must practice so much to continue to master the skills and fundamentals of the game. But I challenge you to find me a professional ice hockey player who said hockey was easy, and don't give me some sarcastic quote please, it must be sincere.

Conclusion: Ice Hockey is and continue to be the hardest sport to master and play at a high level. It is a team game, so you must rely on other people to perform their duties which let's recap, involves hand-eye coordination, balance, strength, accuracy (shooting), and most importantly and most underrated SKATING.

I would like to thank Con again for debating this topic with me, and wish him luck in his writing his rebuttal.
Hardcore.Pwnography

Con

Alright thanks for the quick response Pro.
I will try to organize these refutations as best as I can, as Pro's arguments and refutations are all over the place.

Refutation 1:

Pro says, "Each and everyday of their lives including their professional career they are constantly learning and re-mastering fundamental skills."

Yes, I agree, but this is common to all professional sports. It is not just hockey where you need to re-learn and re-master fundamental skills. So by this basis, it is logical to assume that all sports are equally difficult.

Pro also says, "In addition to mastering skating, which if anyone has ever tried before, you know it is very difficult to simply go slowly with your girlfriend, much less go balls out towards a puck with a defender hanging on your back."

As I have already mentioned, it is also very difficult to learn to swim, much more difficult than learning to skate. Pro has not adressed why skating is much more difficult to learn then swimming, so I would assume that he agrees with me (I will get more into this later). As Pro has said, professional players spend "Each and everyday of their lives including their professional career they are constantly learning and re-mastering fundamental skills." This would mean that water sports like swimming, or water polo is much more difficult than hockey since these players must relearn fundamental skills, and swimming is harder to learn than hockey.

Pro also says, "A hockey player must also learn how to use his stick as an extension of his hands, which is not easy to get used to either because the stick is not a part of your body as in soccer or basketball where you can use your feet and hands respectively."

What I would say to that is, isn't baseball the same thing? Your bat needs to be an extension of your hands, and you need the same hand eye coordination and focus that hockey has, or you'll get hit in the face with a ball travelling at 90mph. Therefore, by pro's logic, baseball and hockey and water sports would have equal difficulty, proving that hockey is not the hardest sport to play at the professional level.

And with jostling and learning where to move, and crucial positioning, in all sports there is some form of this. In basketball, you box out defenders to get the rebound, and in soccer you jostle defenders to get that head from the corner kick.

I guess what I'm really saying here is that a lot of the skills between sports are transferrable, like learning where to move and getting good positioning. Therefore, it would mean that all sports are equally difficult.

Pro says that " In addition if a hockey player suffers an injury he/she must, in some cases, completely re-learn how to skate and play in general."

Isn't that the same with all sports? If you break a leg severely, you will need to re-learn to walk. If you break your arm, you will need to relearn how to throw a ball. It is the same with all sports.

Refutation 2:

What Pro has provided in this refutation is examples of times where players have maintained focus in the face of danger. And he says this is why ice hockey is a difficult sport.

There are many other sports that require the same focus in the face of danger. Like Pro, I can pull examples like these all day. Let's start doing that actually.

In football, the quarterback has to maintain focus in order to hit that long pass to his teammate. During this time, there are several 200 pound people running at you trying to tackle you. But still, you need to get the timing right, and throw that pass, even if it means that you'll get crushed under several guys.

In baseball, the batter has to maintain focus in order to hit the ball that is traveling at 90mph towards him.

Therefore, in all sports you need to maintain focus in the face of danger. Therefore, they are all equally difficult.

Refutation 3:

Exactly everything can be relative! There is no actual proof that hockey is the hardest sport to play, that is merely an opinion. And you have not even been able to prove that hockey is indeed a difficult sport to play. I have already proved many times that alot of sports require the same skills, therefore making all sports equally difficult to play.

Pro also says that there are more people who can swim than skate. But that is not a sufficient measurement of difficulty. The only reason why this is true is because of certain conditions around the world. And please, find me the source where you got that fact.

Rebuilding:
Therefore, because you cannot provide this information, you can't just say that hockey is the hardest sport to play. As you said, most players devote their full attenion to hockey. Therefore, how can they know that hockey is the hardest sport if they have not tried every single other professional sport? There is no way to tell.

Obviously, when hockey players say that hockey is the hardest sport, it is opinion based. And as Pro said earlier, it is annoying. Therefore, that entire argument is invalid.

Conclusion:

I have not provided any relative arguments today. I proved why all sports are equally difficult, as they require much of the same skills. (hand eye coordination, focus, etc.)

It is not just hockey where you need these skills in order to play professional hockey.

In Pro's recap he says:

"Ice Hockey is and continue to be the hardest sport to master and play at a high level. It is a team game, so you must rely on other people to perform their duties which let's recap, involves hand-eye coordination, balance, strength, accuracy (shooting), and most importantly and most underrated SKATING."

I will use a similar conclusion.

All sports is and continue to be equally difficult to master and play at a high level. Most sports are team games, so you must rely on other people to perform their duties which let's recap, invovles hand-eye coordination, balance, strength, accuracy, and most importantly and most underated SWIMMING.

Therefore, all sports are equally difficult.
whitesoxman77

Pro

I would like to start by thanking con for this exciting and fun debate, and wish him/her luck in the voting process.

In my final argument I would like to reflect to the reader's that all sport's involve some aspect of hockey in their difficulty and gameplay, but hockey is the one sport where it all comes to together and is tested at a higher level than sports that have similar qualities.

Skill 1: Swimming versus Ice Skating
Con indeed I made an assumption that there are more swimmer versus ice skater because of conditions around the world, but let's look at which is harder since you seem to have latched onto swimming as your main sport.

Swimming is a non weight bearing activity in a medium that supports the body. Ice skating is certainly not this. In swimming you pulled down less by gravity therefore there is less strain on the body than there is in ice skating. Also the water supports the body via buoyant force where as the open air of the real world does not support hockey players. Ice skating is a mutli direction, mutli skilled, serial skilled sport. This requires many changes in body position, direction, stance, coordination, balance, explosive potential. Swimming is a continous skill, which requires speed in a single direction. Therefore you need a lot less athletic ability to be able to professionally swim. Also your max heart rate will be lower in the pool compared to that ice skating(due to the non weight bearing activity). Therefore swimming is great for injured pro athletes to their little water aerobics in but as far as athletic ability goes ice hockey players are far more superior to swimmers, hands down.

Skill 2: Hand-Eye Coordination

Hand-Eye coordination is involved in all sports to some extent, but ice hockey takes it to the extreme. In Soccer you need hand-eye coordination to kick the ball, in basketball you need hand-eye to catch the ball and shoot, in football you need hand-eye to catch and throw, and in baseball you need it to hit. Now let's look at these examples. Which one sticks out? Baseball! The only other sport in this list that is similar to ice hockey in anyway is baseball. How so? Because the bat acts an extension of the body, in all other sports the athletes have the luxury of actually using their body. So throw the other sports out. Now baseball you only need hand-eye coordination to hit, throw, and catch. In hockey you need much more hand-eye coordination to perform a more wide range of abilities like: blocking shots, passing(w/stick), shooting(w/stick), one-timers(look it up), receiving the pass(w/stick), catching the puck(when necessary)and especially goaltending. I can not stress how much more you use hand-eye in this one particular sport than you do in any other sport, which makes ice hockey harder than them all.
-So what? One skill that you need more than any other sport, that doesn't make it most difficult.

Skill 3: Balance
Football, baseball, soccer, and ice hockey are the main sports that I can think of off that top of my head that involve using intense balance. But soccer and baseball involve far less contact than football and ice hockey, so we'll focus on these two. Football is a fast-paced sport that involves brute contact and is probably one of the more dangerous sports in the world, you definitely need balance in football in order to break tackles, tackle, and stay on your feet. Wait, did you say feet? Oh, yes I forgot you have the luxury of using your feet on solid ground. You see folks, in hockey, players do not have this luxury as they are practically balancing themselves on two swords while other 200-pound men are coming at them try to murder them on ICE. Football players do not need nearly as much balance as hockey players do because they are on their feet, which are considerably wider than a skate blade therefore they have more surface area to balance on the ground which has more friction than ice does. Meanwhile hockey players are doing virtually the same thing only they are on thin blades of steal, on a almost friction-less surface. In addition players need great balance to simple things like shoot and pass whereas balance is not nearly as crucial in the acts of catching and throwing in football. Therefore we can conclude hockey players need more balance than football players.

Skill 4: It's A Team Game
I will concede defeat here con this where difficulty can be the same. But let me quickly rattle of some sports than are not a team game. Tennis(singles), Extreme Sports of any kind, NASCAR, SWIMMING!, gymnastics, boxing, UFC Wrestling, Martial Arts, Rodeo, Running, Cycling, and Golf. So we can throw all these sports out of contention because they have the luxury of only relying on their own talents, and not the talents and abilities of others as well as their own.

Skill 5: Durability
Soccer, Basketball, and Hockey are the only sports in the same hemisphere when it comes to durability, because they are the only sports that are constantly moving while the game clock is counting down. It is said that by the end of a soccer game, a soccer player has run 11 miles. I dont have a stat like that for basketball or hockey but that is pretty damn impressive. This is the part of the argument where I will also concede that these sports are similar in the way that all involve running or skating back and forth, but this is where I will call your attention, people of debate.org to our list.

All these skills are in hockey, but some of these skills barely apply to all sports, and if they do not to the extent that they do in hockey. Hockey is the most intense sport out there and it involves are far more great range of athletic ability than any other sport. According to ESPN, this is the list of most difficult sports. http://sports.espn.go.com...
According to this article by ESPN, THE WORLD WIDE FREAKING LEADER IN SPORTS, boxing is harder by 1 point while hockey is in second and harder than football by a full 3.

Now last I will destroy boxing to make sure you all know hockey is better than them all.
First boxing has and is known to have fixed matches. So that hurts boxings credibility as the hardest sport right off the bat. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com... In addition boxing gains most of its points in the article in strength and power which I would assume boxing would have being a sport based on strength. Also boxing accumulates eight points in the nerve category which requires no athletic ability what so ever. Meanwhile hockey scores no lower than a 6 in any category except flexibility which I highly disagree with considering NHL netminders are some of the most flexible men on the planet.

Conclusion: I have provided an article that shows hockey is the second hardest sport according to ESPN. I then took the number one ranked sport boxing and showed you that it is in indeed inferior to hockey and ESPN made a mistake in their order of one and two. In addition hockey is a team sport where boxing is not, making accomplishments in hockey far more challenging. I have also shown the readers that swimming is far easier than ice skating, making ice hockey a harder sport than swimming, which is con's prime sport. I also took several skills and broke them down to show that ice hockey utilizes those skills to a far great extent than any other sport and that ice hockey uses more of these athletic skills than other sports that only use one or two of the main skills.

I would like to thank Con for the debate, it was fun, but remember readers ice hockey utilizes far more athletic ability than any other sport, as stated above, and to VOTE PRO!
Hardcore.Pwnography

Con

Thanks Pro for the response.
I will now go through each skill Pro has provided, and has said that are found the most in hockey, and I will show you why these skills are shown equally in all sports.

Note that I have not fixated on swimming, I have just used swimming as an example to a sport that would require much more learning. Pro has misunderstood me here.

When you're voting, please note that Pro has bad formatting and conduct.
I quote "WORLD WIDE FREAKING LEADER IN SPORTS".

Okay, let's get down to business.

Skill 1: Swimming versus Ice Skating

Note that here, Pro admits that he has been making up sources. He says, "I made an assumption that there are more swimmer versus ice skater". Who knows what other facts he has been making up?

Swimming is not only much more difficult than ice hockey, it is also much harder to learn. If you have ever tried both, you would realize this. In swimming you must stay afloat, which is alot harder than it seems when you are first learning it. Your life is constantly in danger, if you mess up, you could potentially drown. As Pro said in the beginning in response to my professional argument about pro players and how they already know how to skate, they must relearn the fundamentals all the time. And swimming is much harder to learn.

Pro says, "Also your max heart rate will be lower in the pool compared to that ice skating." Once again, he has not provided a source. I can only assume that he has made this up like the other fact. However, I will assume that this is correct to give a better debate round for all.

Pro also says, "Therefore you need a lot less athletic ability to be able to professionally swim".

You must also hold your breath for periods of time when you're swimming, meaning that your muscles get less oxygen. Oxygen is a vital factor in order to have athletic ability and force. This means that you are putting your muscles at more of a strain. Therefore, if you are getting less oxygen, logically, you would need much more athletic ability than hockey players in order to achieve the same result. This is why it is much more difficult.

What this means that you must have a massive amount of athletic ability in order to swim at the professional level, at that speed. You would need much more than ice hockey, because in both sports you are exerting the same amount of energy, however with swimming, you are holding your breath. I cannot imagine an ice hockey player holding their breath as they play ice hockey. You are exerting the same amount of energy because both sports have that distance factor, where in swimming you swim back and forth and in ice hockey, you are skating back and forth. In both, you are trying to move as fast as possible. (I will get more into this later in skill 5)

When you're moving as fast as possible, you are exerting maximum energy. However, as mentioned, in swimming you would need more athletic ability because your muscles are getting less oxygen and have more strain.

And what about the goalie in hockey? Pro has not brought this up. The goalie rarely moves in hockey, and certainly, swimmers would exert much more energy than the goalie.

Skill 2: Hand-Eye Coordination

As Pro says himself at the end, "So what? One skill that you need more than any other sport, that doesn't make it most difficult." Note that Pro has conceded this point to me. Thank you for agreeing with me. But I will continue to refute for fairness.

Pro also says, "Baseball! The only other sport in this list that is similar to ice hockey in anyway is baseball. How so? Because the bat acts an extension of the body, in all other sports the athletes have the luxury of actually using their body"

That's not true, I can list several sports right now: lacrosse, polo (where you must ride on a horse, which is difficult to control in itself and have hand-eye coordination), etc.

I agree in swimming, you do not need much hand-eye coordination, so I will choose a sport that is is very similar to hockey, but much more difficult: polo.

Both sports require hand eye coordination like passing, shooting, blocking, receiving, catching, one timers, and goal tending with a stick so they are equal there.

You must learn to ride a well and control it, especially when there are other horses around. This itself is much more difficult than skating, as horses have a mind of their own, and are difficult to control. Which is why it would be much more difficult than hockey.

Pro says "I can not stress how much more you use hand-eye in this one particular sport than you do in any other sport."

Actually in polo, you must have the same hand-eye coordination... except on a horse! This is why this is the most difficult.

Skill 3: Balance

Yup, try balancing on a horse with 400 pound horses and people and metal sticks coming at you to try and get the ball! I assure you it is much harder than balancing in hockey. Because you control your skates, a horse has a mind of its own. It is very likely for the horse to be afraid and rear on its hind legs, making it impossible to control. Polo players must also shoot, but on a horse!

Skill 4: Team

Note that Pro has conceded this point to me.

Skill 5: Durability

I say that the ESPN article that Pro has provided is unfair.
If it was already fact that hockey is a difficult sport, why are we debating this topic? I was unaware of this source, as Pro did not bring it up earlier, and surely I would not have accepted this round if it was made known to me.

It is much like debating "Murder should be made illegal." Well if it is already true, there is no point in debating. Thus it would be called truism and is unfair. Therefore, the source that Pro has provided is unfair and invalid and should not be allowed.

I will debate like that source has not been brought up, as it is impossible to debate against it.

Note that Pro has conceded another point to me, "I will also concede that these sports are similar in the way that all involve running or skating back and forth."

In swimming for example, you are not racing with the clock, but rather you are racing against the clock. This is why I would say that it is much harder. You do not have a set time, like other sports, but rather you yourself have to set the best time in order to win. You are directly competing against others. The clock is moving up, instead of down, and you are racing against time in order to set the best time.

Conclusion:

So all in all, I believe that I have won this case.

Why?

1. Unfair sources:
That ESPN source was seriously unfair. If it was already true, then there is no point in debating this debate. Like I said, it's like debating "Murder should be illegal." It already is! What is there to possibly say on side Con? The burden on Pro's side is too low, and bringing up this source means that it is impossible for me to argue.

2. Bad conduct
Notice the use of language and bad formatting.

"THE WORLD WIDE FREAKING LEADER IN SPORTS"
"much less go balls out towards a puck"

3. Conceding points
Note how Pro has conceded 3 points to me.

"So what? One skill that you need more than any other sport, that doesn't make it most difficult."
"I will concede defeat here con this where difficulty can be the same."
"I will also concede that these sports are similar in the way that all involve running or skating back and forth"

How can Pro possibly win after that? I have conceded no points to Pro.

4. Bad sources
Notes how Pro does not provide the links where he has gotten his facts, and admits himself that he made one up.

"Con indeed I made an assumption that there are more swimmer versus ice skater"

No links:
"Also your max heart rate will be lower in the pool compared to that ice skating"
There is no source to back this fact up.

5. Bad arguments
Pro keeps saying that hockey is the hardest sport because of these skills. I have already shown why alot of sports utilize this skills. Therefore, all sports are equally difficult

Therefore, because of these 5 reasons, vote CON.
Also because I have a cool name.
That is all.

Posted by OberHerr 5 years ago
OberHerr
@Hardcore.Pwnography Technically, you should be telling me to be quite also. :) But cause I'm so epic you don't! :)
Posted by Hardcore.Pwnography 5 years ago
Hardcore.Pwnography
@vmpire321, yes that was just a mistype on my part...
@Scherwetsky honestly, just shut up. This is not your debate. If you feel that way, make your own debate. And I hope you realize that you are supposed to vote based on better arguments, not on your own opinion, retard.
@whitesoxman77 It's no problem, I've never played ice hockey myself, but i play street hockey occasionally, and I do know how to skate.
Posted by whitesoxman77 5 years ago
whitesoxman77
Something con said in his final argument irked me to the point where I feel I need to post, "And what about the goalie in hockey? Pro has not brought this up. The goalie rarely moves in hockey, and certainly, swimmers would exert much more energy than the goalie."
You clearly have not watched or played hockey, because the goalie is probably the most athletic player on the ice.
I play goalie and I can assure you I move, a lot.
More youtube videos to enjoy!

Sorry that comment was kind of a big deal to me.
Posted by Schwetzky 5 years ago
Schwetzky
Here is what I propose. Con, go play a hockey game and then do another debate on the same topic. I am willing to bet that your first argument will be " I agree with the other side, vote for him." And shut up about the horse crap. It's like saying, "baseball is a fast moving game that requires you to be awake," and btw, I said that because I believe that baseball is a very slow sport and boring and here is my evidence.

I played peanut t-ball a long time ago. During the second game, I fell asleep in the outfield. I know many friends that ASK their parents to not go to practice baseball. I have never seen a kid or anyone for that matter ask to not go to hockey practice.

For the pro side, here is one argument you should've made:
Hockey practice is mostly before 7 am. When is the last time a football or boxing practice was before, well, 1pm? Almost never.
Posted by OberHerr 5 years ago
OberHerr
In hockey, you are not constantly being hit in the face/stomach/other, granted with padded gloves.(Though if its UFC, there is so little protection its not even funny.) Granted, in hockey there are very serious injures sometimes, but often the worst injury in a hockey match will be some bruises, MAYBE some broken bones. Also, in boxing, later in life the people will have a good chance of experiencing brain damage, or limps. And in boxing, you can't just walk up and start hitting someone and expect to be undefeated. There are many years of practice, and constant tune ups required to be a great boxer. In hockey its called a match, in boxing its called a fight. There is a reason for that.
Posted by whitesoxman77 5 years ago
whitesoxman77
Exactly so how can boxing be harder than ice hockey?
Posted by OberHerr 5 years ago
OberHerr
I disagreed with the comparison of undefeated people.* messed it up :P
Posted by OberHerr 5 years ago
OberHerr
Disagreed with the comparison of undefeated comparison. In boxing its one on one, so the error in losing is only in the two contestants. In hockey, there is a team, therefore he error is in either one or more people. Same with say football, I doubt there is a undefeated football player out there.
Posted by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
Con never said football is harder: he is arguing that all sports are equally hard.
Posted by whitesoxman77 5 years ago
whitesoxman77
Relativity is and can not be a factor in this debate unfortunately. What I am trying to argue is that not anyone can just get up and say I'll start playing hockey today. Someone could just get up and say I' start boxing because it doesn't take any fine motor skills to punch. Hockey requires mastery of the body, and mastery of basic as well as intricate new skills that must be acquired over a period of time, and unlike sports like baseball, where you must learn to hit and field, in hockey you must learn to skate, shoot, pass, thee strategy, puck-handling, and much more. There are much more skills to master in ice hockey before you can start playing at the professional level, and even when you get to the professional level, sustaining that level of play is much more demanding than in any other sport. I mean there has never been an ice hockey player who has never lost a game, yet there are boxers who are undefeated. Therefore the combination of mastery of skills, sustaining the professional, demanding level of play, and the lack of purely dominant players (with the exception of Gretzgy) makes hockey the most difficult sport to play.
Vote Placed by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
whitesoxman77Hardcore.PwnographyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Interesting debate overall....I couldn't help but notice that CON asked us to "Vote PRO" in round 1...(Or is my computer glitching out? That happens sometimes) <--This is why I gave conduct to PRO lol. But overall, CON had better points and refuted PRO's arguments nicely. Good job!
Vote Placed by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
whitesoxman77Hardcore.PwnographyTied
Reasons for voting decision: the debate is really according to ones opinion, con did show how according to pro's logic that other sports could be just as difficult to learn. I did enjoy pro's videos so i gave him sources, but i also gave him conduct because i find it completely unnecessary for con to claim to vote for him at the end of round 1...