Bones.KK
Wallstreetatheist

Ice hockey is better than Hockey

Wallstreetatheist
Started: 2/27/2012 Category: Sports

Bones.KK

Con

I would first like to straight that my argument is specifically pointed towards that hockey is better than ice hockey because of the dangers, but first of all i would like pro to start with their statement before i interfere.

To you Pro
Wallstreetatheist

Pro

I am Pro, and I will be arguing that Ice hockey is better than Hockey.

Leggo:

Since the first round is for definitions, I’d like to provide some.

Definitions
Ice Hockey - A fast contact sport played on an ice rink between two teams of six skaters, who attempt to drive a small rubber disk (the puck) into the opposing goal with hooked or angled sticks. It developed in Canada in the 19th century [1. tinyurl.com/6p959ln]

Hockey - A sport played on a hard surface in which two opposing teams of roller skaters, using curved sticks, try to drive a ball into the opponents' goal (i.e. roller hockey) [2. tinyurl.com/7q7act7]

Better - Greater in excellence or higher in quality [tinyurl.com/7232uaq]

Contention 1: Ice hockey is more exciting. Ice hockey employs many of the beautiful, thrilling, and scintillating moves possible only on low-friction surfaces, such as ice. The smooth surface of the ice allows for more versatile skating, which is essential for exciting game-play and athletic challenges. The sport uses the ice as a dynamic factor in its physical competition exhibitions on which amazing tricks are performed, skate paths are undulated, and the thirst for victory hangs in the balance like the sweet breath of angels. Ice hockey uses checking, which involves hitting another player’s body with yours. It is really exciting, because of the primal athletic aggression it unleashes; the fans love it as well. Ice hockey uses a puck, a flat cylinder of rubber, as the disk with which scoring requires. The puck is perfectly suited to the sport, because of its stable nature on the ice and the thrilling sound of the slapshot. The rolling ball as used in hockey is a banal, incongruous object to be used in the sport, as it makes passing, scoring, and general play awkward and disappointing. It’s as if someone brought golf into the sport, which instantly makes it less exciting. The puck is also more easily manipulated by the player in ice hockey, allowing for more exciting scoring opportunities and more creative shots. The challenge of deflecting these shots is much more difficult for the goalie in ice hockey than the goalie in hockey, because the puck has a slimmer profile, is moving faster with less air resistance, and is more difficult to block, enhancing the shooting experience.
Therefore, ice hockey is more exciting because of the dynamic qualities of ice skating, the perfect object of play: the puck, and the creative play and goals (see the video for exciting and creative goals).

Contention 2: Ice hockey is more popular than hockey. Ice hockey has more spectators in the NHL than in every single country’s roller hockey league combined. Ice hockey also has higher participation, more rinks, and a better societal image than roller hockey. Roller hockey is accompanied by a social stigma of nerdiness and awkwardness. The participants of roller hockey are even looked down upon by their familial sport neighbors, ice hockey. Ice hockey is known, watched, played, respected, and valued more than roller hockey.

Contention 3: Ice Hockey is actually safer than hockey. Fewer common injuries occur in ice hockey than in roller hockey, largely due to the surface the game is played over. It is basic physics: friction is the resistance that one surface or object encounters when moving over another. The higher the friction on a hard surface, the more intense the impact when one falls. That’s why more concussions, broken bones, and fractures occur in roller hockey than in ice hockey. When a skater falls in ice hockey, much of the force of his impact is displaced into movement in a particular direction. Even ice skaters voluntarily fall and slide along the ice’s surface during performances to increase the aesthetic experience and variety in their routines. Now, if someone were to voluntarily fall and slide along a roller rink, he must be a masochist.
Therefore, with a basic understanding of friction and force, we are led to the common sense conclusion that ice hockey is safer than hockey.

It is for all of the previously stated reasons that the resolution is affirmed.

Thanks for reading and debating :D

Bones.KK

Con

Bones.KK forfeited this round.
Wallstreetatheist

Pro

"Human intelligence is a reflection of the intelligence that produces everything. In knowing, we are simply extending the intelligence that comes to and constitutes us. We mimic the mind of God, so to speak. Or better, we continue and extend it."-Huston Smith

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking." -Albert Einstein

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." -Miguel de Unamuno

3A. IN ORDER FOR THE ADMISSIONS STAFF OF OUR COLLEGE TO GET TO KNOW YOU, THE APPLICANT, BETTER, WE ASK THAT YOU ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTION: ARE THERE ANY SIGNIFICANT EXPERIENCES YOU HAVE HAD, OR ACCOMPLISHMENTS YOU HAVE REALIZED, THAT HAVE HELPED TO DEFINE YOU AS A PERSON?

I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently.

Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row. I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat 400.

My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me. I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations with the CIA.

I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid.

On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prize-winning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.
But I have not yet gone to college.

-Hugh Gallagher

;
Bones.KK

Con

Bones.KK forfeited this round.
Wallstreetatheist

Pro

Bones.KK

Con

Bones.KK forfeited this round.
Wallstreetatheist

Pro

Extend my arguments ad infinitum!
Bones.KK

Con

Bones.KK forfeited this round.
Wallstreetatheist

Pro

Extend my arguments FOREVER
Vote Placed by Xerge 4 years ago
Xerge
Bones.KKWallstreetatheistTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit....