I'd rather be blind than be deaf

I am a lover of music, and the thought of not hearing another tune would be probably the most depressing news I could ever receive. Even though I know blind people have a bigger challenge in life than deaf people, I also feel deaf people are excluded from certain part of society. I do not know any deaf people, so whether or not this is true, I don't know.

To only be deaf would still allow you to take in colors of the beautiful world around you. It would allow you to read any book instead of only the book that have been translated into Braille. To not be blind would let you see your family friends, and again any book you want to read. It is easier to teach a deaf person how to read than to teach a blind person what an animal noun means. I would prefer my sense of sight over my sense of sound.

Colors are beautiful, but they don't trumph tunes. What is nature if you can't here the birds sing? What is color if you can't here the wind's whistle, or the rushing sound of a waterfall, or what is a beach if you can't hear the waves?

There might be few books translated into braille - however the people knowing sign language are not many. So I'd take conversations with people over a book any time. Plus, audio books are very popular know, and you can get those in several languages as well. And when it comes to seeing your family and friends, what is the point if you can't communicate with them? I mean, sure the family will probably learn sign language, but do you expect your friends to do that?

A blind person is still a part of society, even though he is more handicapped he can still hear everything around him, he can still be with his family, talk to them and feel their faces.

How could you know what the song is talking about unless you know what the words look like. Why would you go to the beach if not for the beautiful view or to see the people and fish, plus if your blind you won't see the shark thats going to eat you. You can easily converse with people through writing, email, or texting besides sign language. If you were blind you couldn't drive and thats the only time I would listen to an audio book.

Are you saying that deaf people are not part of society? That can be an extremely offensive comment. What of the elderly or veterans that have lost their hearing due to old age or physical damage? They can still be with family and still feel their faces, they haven't lost their arms.

Unless I know what the words look like? Words don't have shape, they are sounds we make with out mouths. Our verbal language is milleniums older than our written language.

It may be an offensive comment, I didn't mean it like that though. Of course they are a part of society but it's a fact that there are deaf communities, why? Because the vast majority of society does not speak their language - which is an extremely important thing in order to be a social part of society.

I know several blind people who get around easily, they have several techniques so that they can walk around like other people, for instance with sound and the cane or a dog. Today we have several other forms of transportation where you don't need great vision to use. Also, the self driving car is already invented, it's just a matter of time before that will be the most normal form of transportation.

What I meant was to know what the words meaning looks like, for instance, how can you know what a blobfish looks like without seeing it yourself. I don't know why you mention how old the verbal language is because this the twenty first century. A deaf person could easily type something and have a robot or computer speak it.

You should be more careful about what you say and know the implications. I don't believe there is an official language of the deaf. Literate deaf people can read and write in their native language (i.e. English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Greek, etc).

There may be self driving cars, but are they readily available to the blind? Self driving cars also can't go everywhere that a human driven car could.

Deaf people also have access to more jobs and careers than blind people.

The cerebral cortex uses 30% of its neurons to see and only 3% to hear, therefore the brain of a deaf person has more access to their brain than a blind person.
Posted by shoutevenshy 1 year ago
I don't see how this couldn't be a learning experience for me.
Posted by Lavaguava 1 year ago
Yes. We debate to find others opinions and to expand our own knowledge.
Posted by shoutevenshy 1 year ago
Do you really think there is a point in debating at all on this site?
Posted by Lavaguava 1 year ago
You are arguing over your own opinion solely? Is this not pointless, others can not tell you whether you would rather be blind or deaf.
Vote Placed by Balacafa 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro expressed opinions whilst Con provided facts. Whilst I still agree with Pro. I think that Pro's opinions weren't sufficient to contradict Con's facts regarding jobs and how you are more likely to get a job being deaf than blind. Con also demonstrates that you have better access to the brain being deaf rather than being blind. In the first round Pro refutes his own argument by saying: deaf people are excluded from society. Shortly after saying this he also says that he doesn't know any deaf people so he doesn't know whether or not it is true. If pro is uncertain about their own arguments then how can anyone else feel certain?