Austryker
FocusV

Identity Politics create inherent biases that cause issues in society.

FocusV has forfeited round #1.
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

Austryker

Pro

Thank you for accepting this debate, whoever it is that may be accepting it. I will be using this first portion to basically lay out why I believe that Identity Politics are necessary but inherently bad.

For those of who you are uninformed in the matter at hand, I'd like to cite Stanford* University and what they had to say on the matter; "The laden phrase “identity politics” has come to signify a wide range of political activity and theorizing founded in the shared experiences of injustice of members of certain social groups. Rather than organizing solely around belief systems, programmatic manifestos, or party affiliation, identity political formations typically aim to secure the political freedom of a specific constituency marginalized within its larger context. Members of that constituency assert or reclaim ways of understanding their distinctiveness that challenge dominant oppressive characterizations, with the goal of greater self-determination."

To sum that up, Identity Politics involve the creation of political parties that are based in identitarianism but are instead based on the ideas of victimhood, with the common goal of the groups to start a "greater evil", and/or begin an era of "greater good".

Now, in it of itself, identity politics are not bad. The idea is undeniably a good one, people wanting to work together to remove a common problem that they, amongst themselves and others, face regularly. Where this gets tricky is in regards to how they play on going about facing this issues, and this is where Identity Politics often becomes a problem, and it's all due to a psychological phenomena known as "Mob mentality".

Mob Mentality is the condition in which a human's state of mind is bettered or comforted around those who are like-minded in a particular idea, or that a human feels safer believing that/following others in regards to a particular idea. Mob Mentality is also not always a bad thing, but is also one of the biggest problems humans are facing in society.

Identity Politics have created opportunities for people to take non-problems and make them issues. As an example, I will use the YouTube channel "Feminist Frequency".** Feminist Frequency is a YouTube channel that claims that video game developers are sexist because of the portrayals of women, and has, on numerous occasions, stated that many video game companies need to be boycotted due to this. Now, because she uses the title of "Feminist" you got three different reactions to this by feminists:
1. Feminists who didn't see it so didn't comment on it.
2. Feminists who saw it and wholeheartedly agreed, supporting her claims with anecdotal evidence and subjective ideas.
3. Feminists who saw it and were outraged, saying this "Isn't what feminism is!"

Of these three things, the most popular was Option 1, but between Two and Three, Option Two yielding far more support than Option 1. This is because many feminists who don the title was to support it, regardless of what's being stated, and this is a bi-product of mob mentality.

Now, I'm sure you can just pass that off as "Well that's because of Mob Mentality, not identity politics", but to what avail? The label of "Feminist" comes from an ideological background of women who wanted rights, putting it under the category of Identity Politics. Because of this title of "Feminist", people who fall under this title and want to support it wholeheartedly are going to be more inclined to agree with people who follow the same ideological background/belief. Without the use of the word "Feminist", I cannot guarantee that this wouldn't yield completely different results, but I can confidently say that it would have yielded noticeably different results because of the lack of this title.

Thanks for taking the time to read this introduction to my argument, I look forward to debating you.

Sources & Notes:
*. http://plato.stanford.edu...

**. Feminist Frequency link: https://www.youtube.com...
Posted by FocusV 4 weeks ago
FocusV
Sorry for the forfeit, my internet has been down for the past 5 days. It would probably be best to restart the argument.
Posted by DavidMancke 1 month ago
DavidMancke
Agreed!