If A Tree Falls In The Forest

"If a tree falls in a forest does it make a sound?"

I would like to take this topic to a debate. I will be arguing on whichever side my opponent does not choose in their acceptance of this debate (not necessarily Pro).

I will argue that it does.

thank you for accepting my debate.

Seemingly my opponent (Pro) has chosen the easier, scientifically sound, reasonable solution to this philosophical debate,
leaving me to indicate that such an assumption is not only wrong, but that the conclusion he is attempting to reach is also therefor wrong.

First: One can stipulate that a sound, is not simply a vibration. But specifically a vibration which has been received and converted by a receptor into such a state referred to as a sound.
In this effect, one can argue, but not sufficiently debate that: No, the tree does not make a sound if something does not hear it.

A tree which falls in the forest is subject to many conditions. Something must make that tree fall. If the cause of such an event was so rambunctiously awful, the overwhelming vibrations of such a cause are potentially powerful enough to eradicate the sound vibrations made by a tree falling. Thus Indicating Pro is subject to falsehood given the circumstances, even if we were to consider any vibration a sound.

As I am short handed in this debate. I will save my following statements for the Next Round.

Sound: "Vibrations that travel through the air or another medium and can be heard when they reach a person’s or animal’s ear"
The key point is that the sound is purely the vibrations, it can be heard by the ear of a human or animal. In actual fact Pro never clarified if humans and animals were present or not to hear it, the only question Pro asks was if a tree falls in a forest does it make a sound.

Now I can even argue that a sound of 0dB is a sound but that would cause a whole debate about what the number 0 actually is etc. which I am indeed willing to have but won't make the center of my case,

If a tree falls and hits the ground, it will produce a vibration however small. You can't just eradicate sound by an event and Pro had BoP to prove that you can do this.

GoOrDin forfeited this round.

A tree which falls int eh forest is not guaranteed to make a sound.

I am not a skeptic, nor am I a supporter, enthusiast or entertainer of skepticism.

A tree which fall in the forest does not make a sound if no one is there to hear it,

I simply reply, "What did you hear? Did the stump say something?"
Posted by GoOrDin 1 year ago
but a vibration is not considered a sound until it is received. difference between the words sound and vibrations.
Posted by dhardage 1 year ago
The laws of physics don't change simply because there is no human to observe them in action. A tree falling will make a sound, more likely several, regardless of whether it is heard or not. This is and always has been a foolish question that depends on solipsism as its base.
Vote Placed by Tweka 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: GoOrDin is more convincing