Dilara
patrick967

If Ariel Castro was still alive the death penalty would be an appropriate punishment for him.

patrick967

Dilara

Pro

Ariel Castro was a man who held three women captive for over a decade in his house in Cleveland Ohio. His first victim Michelle Knight was kidnapped in 2002 when she was in her early 20s. His second victim Amanda Berry was kidnapped the day before her 17th birthday in 2003. His third victim Gina Dejesus was kidnapped in 2004 when she was 14. The three women were held captive and against their will until they escaped in 2013. He had one daughter with Amanda Berry who is now 7. He impregnated Michelle 5 times but he would punch her in the belly or jump on top of her so she would miscarry. He would also tell Michelle that no one cared about her and that no one was looking for her and he would beat her constantly. A chilling fact about this case is that Ariel Castro knew Gina Dejesus's family very well. He played in a band with her uncle for 20 years and he was the father of Gina's best friend Arline Castro. He would sing and lead prayers at the vigils held for Gina on the anniversaries of her dissapearance and he would help hand out missing person flyers. He was an evil psychopath and deserved to be beaten, raped and killed. If Castro was still alive the death penalty would be an appropriate punishment.
patrick967

Con

Ariel Castro was a terrible man, corrupt person, and resulted to the actions of a cornered animal just so he could cruelly fill his sexual desires. The death penalty would be much too merciful for this man. Even his brothers, Pedro and Onil Castro, no longer consider him family and called him "a monster." (http://www.cnn.com...) If it were up to the family, I would completely agree for his punishment. This man needed a taste of his own medicine. I am especially shocked that this inhumane beast was living in Cleveland. I am from Akron, and I remember Cleveland, it's filled with wonderful people and places to go, and it's really disappointing to me that someone could be so cruel to a fellow member of society and from a place so terrific. His bail was set at $8 million, sentenced to over 1,000 years in prison, and charged with murder (Ohio's law allows abortion through 24 weeks [http://www.preterm.org...] but it is somehow considered murder also, hipocracy of law there). I think he should not have been granted the mercy of death, and suffer here on Earth (unless there's no afterlife).
Dilara

Pro

Good points. I'm from Columbus and when the girls escaped in 2013 it was big news here. It was also big news when he killed him self last autumn. I think he should has suffered in the most painful way possible for what he did to those women. Maybe he wanted to die considering the fact that he hung him self so maybe the death penalty would have been to easy for him. I remember when he killed him self, how all my friends agreed he should have suffered longer. Maybe he should have spent years behind bars, being beaten by other inmates and feeling guilt for what he did. The best punishment for him would have been the cruelest punishment. Maybe the cruelest punishment for Castro would have been death or maybe it would have been life in prison. Either way if he were still alive he would deserve to feel the way he made those women feel.
He kidnapped his daughters best friend when she was only 14. He took away most if her teenage years. Instead of going to high school, hanging with her friends, going to prom and being a teenage girl she was chained up in some old creeps house being raped. He took away Amanda's early and mid 20s. He also killed five of his own children by forcing Michelle to miscarry when ever he got her pregnant. I'm pro life so I see all abortion (with exception of some) as murderer. Even if your pro choice you have to think about when pro choice means. Pro choice means it's the women's choice as to if she keeps the baby or not. Michelle didn't get a choice when Castro jumped on top of her or punched her in the belly. From what I've learned about Michelle (reading some of her new book, dr phill, other interviews) it appears she wanted to keep the baby's. If it's the women's choice than the women should choose, not some sick sadistic freak.
The death penalty would have been appropriate for Ariel Castro because he murdered five people-five baby's. He physically tortured three women for ten years. He was a rapist and a killer. If Castro was alive than the death penalty would be an appropriate punishment for that sick, evil man.
patrick967

Con

Ariel Castro took away ten years of three young girls' lives. The death penalty in Ohio, for the voters who don't know, is lethal injection. You get a shot filled with lethal material and it's over. That, in my opinion, is a much too peaceful way for Castro. No friends, family, pets, or anything that was precious to you except for a tiny sliver of hope that got smaller every day you stayed in that house. Imagine that for ten years. The death penalty would be an easy way out for Castro. It doesn't give Michelle, Amanda, and Gina any closure. He's gone, but he took away 3,560 days of their lives that were filled with torture, agony, and rape. As if that was enough, he forced Amanda to have a baby and forced five miscarriages with Michelle. No one is happy to get an abortion, much less raped and stripped of the only object of love you'd have in Castro's house. There is no way to take back those days, or push the memories away. He scarred young women for the rest of their lives, and the easiest way out was death. Why do you think he committed suicide?
Dilara

Pro

I can't imagine what life in that house would have been like. Have you watched the dr phill interviews with Michelle Knight?.
They're very moving and inspiring. She is such a strong women. He took away ten years of their lives. He took away Gina's teenage years and he was very close to her family. He would lead prayers and play music at her vigils (BBC documentary on Cleveland kidnappings) and talk to her parents. Meanwhile their daughter was chained up in his house and being used as a sex slave. A nother chilling fact is that Gina's aunt lived 2 blocks from Castro's house of horrors. I can't imagine how that family felt when they found out that their trusted friend had kidnapped their 14 year old daughter and kept her in his house as a sex slave. I hope the best for little Jocelyn. I hope she doesn't get made fun of. I'm glad Michelle is in culinary school, has a nice new big house and is speak in out about her experiences in that house. I'm excited to read Michelle's book and I'm excited to read Amanda and Gina's book when it comes out next year. I think that Castro deserves the most painful punishment possible. Maybe that would be life in prison or maybe it would be death. I want him to feel fear. If he could feel fear before he is executed and if he could feel remorse before he is executed than that seems like a pretty good punishment.
I think Castro committed suicide because he was depressed and mentally ill. He couldn't put up with being behind bars and he wanted out. Now he's in Hell where he belongs.
Thanks for the debate.
patrick967

Con

If I was being executed, I would only feel fear about the afterlife. I could feel glad that I would not waste away in prison, maybe getting shanked or raped. I disagree with the claim that he was depressed and mentally ill. He ran into the large invincible wall of reality that we all hit when we think we're invincible. The wall of reality, as I call it, smacks you with the fact that you can't undo anything you've done in the past, and now you have to pay for it. I think Ariel Castro smashed into the wall of reality when he was sentenced to over 1,000 years in prison and $8 million bail. He realized he wasn't getting out, he had no family, no friends, and the girls he raped for ten years were going to recover. His whole world came crashing down. Then he took the easy way out: suicide. A cowardly move, he did it to escape all of his problems. That's why the death penalty would be wrong for him. It was just a means of escape. Thanks to my opponent for the debate.
Posted by Dilara 2 years ago
Dilara
all of is want him to suffer for what he did but in different ways.
Posted by patrick967 2 years ago
patrick967
Differing opinions on the same side. It is really weird when you think about it.
Posted by YamaVonKarma 2 years ago
YamaVonKarma
I'm confused... you're both on the same side here. After a while, everything kinda dissipated.
Posted by Dilara 2 years ago
Dilara
Good points.
Posted by YamaVonKarma 2 years ago
YamaVonKarma
I agree with Justin... Rape is a horrible thing. Keeping those women captive is even worse. But he must be judged before an execution... if he was sentenced to death, I'd carry it out with pleasure myself.
Posted by JustinAMoffatt 2 years ago
JustinAMoffatt
Hm. A kritik might be interesting here.

Yes, Castro was an awful man. But is it truly our responsibility to pass sentencing upon him? Is it even right to presume what he deserved as punishment before the court could?
Vote Placed by ChosenWolff 2 years ago
ChosenWolff
Dilarapatrick967Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro concede by saying good points and used the rest of the time to chat