Juan_Pablo
Dj12

If God exist & is concerned with the welfare of mankind, he uses pain, suffering as a teaching tool

Juan_Pablo

Pro

If God exist and is concerned with the welfare and longevity of the human race, he uses pain, suffering as a teaching device.

This debate is open to all theists (and atheists).

I will be arguing this viewpoint from the perspective of a [variant of] pantheist (someone who subscribes to the doctrine that the universe is conscious, intelligent, and is analogous to God), but my opponent is free to challenge me however he likes.

I believe these debates should be learning experiences for both the instigator and the contender (including the audience), so feel free to share your thoughts and arguments.

My purpose in this debate is not to label God as necessarily good or evil, but simply to demonstrate my position to the claim in italics above. My opponent should take the position that negates the claim, however he chooses to do so.

(Serious debaters only.)
Dj12

Con

I agree with the statement you have presented. First, i'm not a believer of god and i believe that my personal being is brought upon myself and the way my actions attend to the situation. I don't believe that one man can have the traits you have presented in the argument.
Juan_Pablo

Pro

People have a capacity for evil in this world. They can be selfish with resources, unfair to others, mistreat nature and other life-forms, unruly and combative. People can be incredibly destructive and self-absorbed. My position is that God created intelligent life (which includes people) as long-term companions in this universe, for the extent that it can last before entropy ultimately takes over. But in order to make intelligent life durable in a universe filled with possible danger and unpredictability, God (which I define theistically as the super-intelligent, conscious universe) must lay down some ground rules for intelligent life to follow, because certain behaivors (and attitudes), certain ways of life have a real potential to reduce the quality of experience, which will only aggravate mankind into increased unruliness, desperation, selfishness, combativeness - and ultimately extinction.

God therefore presents mankind with rules for life, and encourages mankind to live by laws that will maintain civility, fairness, and encourage mutual joy in a society. But should mankind ever break these rules, should mankind ever descend into a state of increased lawlessness and depravity, he makes it plain that he will inflict great pain upon communities, through a variety of unpleasant methods.

But why should pain work? Why should God use pain, suffering to encourage mankind back onto paths of moral rectitude, law and order? Because this has been an effective method on developing life-forms throughout the ages. Pain (and Pleasure) work to encourage life-forms to self-preserve themselves! (God wants long-term intelligent companionship.)

Survival and Pleasure/Pain

Humans are motivated by survival. But more specifically, humans are motivated by Pleasure and Pain. Humans seek out pleasure. Humans try to avoid things that directly contribute to [their] suffering, pain. For example, humans that know touching a burning stove will inflict searing pain will try to avoid touching it intentionally. Pain and Pleasure are not imaginary phenomena, but genuinely arise from the body's biochemistry, in reaction to things that can benefit us (keep us alive) and harm us (kill us). Pain and pleasure are rudimentary impelling forces used by the body (and evolved [designed?] over hundreds of millions of years) to motivate us into action.

It has worked to preserve developing life on Earth. It is one of the rudimentary languages of our bodies, and it has a tremendous reputation for working.

Pleasure/Pain - which is a form of sensory experience - has worked for organisms in the past. Why should God abandon it now if he can use it to instruct mankind about vital lessons in this universe?

DJ12 . . . you're up.
Dj12

Con

Dj12 forfeited this round.
Juan_Pablo

Pro

My opponent has forfeited the previous round. I accept his forfeiture and push for a vote!
Dj12

Con

Dj12 forfeited this round.
Juan_Pablo

Pro

My opponent has forfeited ROUND 3 as well . . .
Dj12

Con

Dj12 forfeited this round.