advidiun
Life_is_Abstract

If John Mcain wants to win the election his best choice for running mate is Mitt Romney.

advidiun

Pro

Mitt Romney was barely behind mcain in supporters and did extremely well in the election. Unlike the other candidates for running mate he has a large name recognition as well. His conservative stance will also help Mcain get votes from more conservative voters.Mcains best choice for running mate is Mitt Romney.
Life_is_Abstract

Con

I thank advidiun for starting this debate. I do give a quick word of warning i am leaving in 5 days for europe, so i urge advidiun to argue with some form of haste.

First, for clarification purposes, it is John MCCAIN.

Secondly, i have a simple burden. I must proove that mitt romney is not the best choice for vice president. This means I can argue any of the current vice presidentials candidates on John McCains short list.

I will start that debate by arguing why mitt romney is a bad choice for vp, and then i will argue why certain other choices are better.

I will cite the washington post on how mitt romney has flip flopped on issues over the years.
"1. Abortion. In October 2002, campaigning for governor of Massachusetts, Mitt Romney said he would "preserve and protect" a woman's right to choose. He now describes himself as an abortion opponent"
2. Gay rights. In a 1994 letter to the Log Cabin Republicans, who advocate gay rights, he said he was in favor of "gays and lesbians being able to serve openly and honestly" in the military. He now says it would be a mistake to interfere with the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

3. Gun control. Campaigning for the Senate in 1994, he said he favored strong gun laws and did not "line up with the NRA." He joined the National Rifle Association in 2006 while pondering a presidential run, and he praised the group for "doing good things" and "supporting the right to bear arms."

4. Campaign finance. In 1994, he advocated a spending limit on congressional elections and the abolition of political action committees. In 2002, he supported public financing of campaigns from a 10 percent tax on private fundraising. This year, he said the McCain-Feingold law limiting campaign contributions is an attack on free speech.

5. Immigration. In a November 2005 interview with the Boston Globe, he described an immigration overhaul advanced by John McCain as "reasonable." He now denounces it as an "amnesty plan." In December 2006, he signed an agreement authorizing state troopers to round up illegal immigrants. "

Mitt romney doesnt really appeal to conservative voters. I will admit he does appeal to fiscal conservatives, but barely. His flip flops on issues has caused many conservatives not to vote for him.

Now we can look at some of the other vice president ideas on McCains short list.

Charlie Crist: Florida has been a key swing state in the last two elections and for that reason, Crist, who is the extremely popular governor of that state. He appeals to many conservatives.

Mike Huckabee
As cited from the U.S. news & World Report:
"1) He is a great campaigner and communicator who could both shore up support in the South among social conservatives (Huckabee is a former Baptist minister) and appeal to working-class voters in the critical "Big 10" states of Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Ohio.

2) As any pollster knows, voters search for candidates who "care about people like me," and Huckabee would probably score a lot higher on that quality than millionaire investor Mitt Romney. Plus, given all the turmoil on Wall Street, 2008 would seem to be a bad year to pick a former investment banker for VP."

Tim Pawlenty:
Being governor of minnesota, which is becoming a key swing state in this election, makes pawlenty a strong pick for VP. He is young conservative who endorsed McCain early on, also he has large support from his highly democratic state.

And the list goes on...

Thank you
advidiun

Pro

I would like to start by thanking my opponent for debating.

Charlie Crist

"Mitt Romney flip flops on a lot of issues"

Let me point out that gov. Charlie crist has not stayed strong on some of the critical issues either.

-In 1998 Charlie Crist stated that he was pro choice during his failed attempt to run for senator. When he announced he wanted to be governor he magically became pro life.

-Charlie Crist signed an pro gay marriage petition before suddenly becoming anti gay marriage

-He claimed that he was against touts anti murder bill.
This bill became the focus of his campaign for governor.

"Charlie Crist will give votes from florida"

Mccain won florida by himself losing most of his unwon delegates to mitt Romney and rudy guliani. (Rudy guliani is not on mccains "short list") With mitt at his side mccain will almost certainly win florida any way.

Mike Huckabeee

As I have heard nothing of mccain even talking about mike huckabee I assume he is not considering him for vp. Im sure if you do some more research you will also find that mccain has not been doing anything to show huckabee to be an option

Tim Pawlenty

Tim pawlenty is not nearly as popular in their home states as Charlie crist or mitt Romney.his only great accomplishments are his great debating and speech giving skills.

Mitt Romney

"Mitt Romey does not appeal to conservative voters"

After people realized their two candidates for republican nominee were mccain and guliani they begged for a conservative candidate as well. These conservative candidates were
Fred Thompson, Mike Huckabee, and Mitt Romney.
The first to drop out was senator Thompson.
After a large percentage of primaries it narrowed down to the following conservative candidates. Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee.
However Mitt Romney led over Huckabee by approximately a hundred delegates. Does this sound like a candidate without many conservative supporters.
Assuming my opponent will point out Romney dropped out first I will point out now that not until the very end of the election did huckabee match romneys delegate count. This was after several primaries. Had Romney stayed in until the end like Huckabee I am confident that Huckabee would never have even tied his delegate count.( This is not counting the fact that several of huckabees delegates came from west Va. A state hucka bee only took from Romney because mccain gave his delegates to huckabee to ensure Romney did not win west Va. This also shows that mccain thought Romney to be a bigger threat than huckabee.

I would like to thank my opponent for pointing out my misspelling of mccains name. I will try to be more careful in the future
Life_is_Abstract

Con

My opponent stated "Mccain won florida by himself"
I beg to differ. At the time he was endorsed by charlie crist. Which contributed to his win.
With him bringing more votes for mccain in a key swing state, i find that charlie crist is a better choice than mitt romney.

Once again i would like to say the people do not feel that mitt romney is a true conservative candidate. May i point out again is the flip flops made by mitt romney. He has no conservative base.

My opponent also stated that "As I have heard nothing of mccain even talking about mike huckabee I assume he is not considering him for vp. Im sure if you do some more research you will also find that mccain has not been doing anything to show huckabee to be an option"

I have done some reasearch and mike huckabee is near the top of John McCain's short list for vp! Mike huckabee is an option because of his big support from evangelicals. With huckabee on the ticket he contributes greatly.

My opponent states that "tim pawlenty is not nearly as popular in their home states as Charlie crist or mitt Romney."

Being a minnesotan myself, i would like to say that tim pawlenty is greatly popular within our state. Minnesota has voted democrat since 1976, and they have elected a republican governor.
Tim pawlenty is young conservative. This youth is needed in the 2008, mainly because of Barack Obama. To appeal to voters McCain needs pawlenty, who is a long time supporter, and a sign of youth.

I will also point something else out, it has been stated widely that John McCain and mitt romney truly dont get along. Their primary battle was brutal to say the least. While with huckabee his was civil.

The choice is clear vote con.
Thank you
advidiun

Pro

advidiun forfeited this round.
Life_is_Abstract

Con

my opponent has obviously forfeited.
extend all of my arguements.
by conceding i win, vote for me.
thank you
Posted by scissorhands7 8 years ago
scissorhands7
I'm conservative- Huckabee's idea of a flat tax rips up my respect for him. McCain's choice of Palin was genius.
Posted by bthr004 8 years ago
bthr004
He needs a real conservative to gain more respect from the gop.. Huckabee.
Posted by LakevilleNorthJT 8 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
"i would like to say that tim pawlenty is greatly popular within our state"

I hate Pawlenty so much.
Posted by Hamlicar_B_Rules 8 years ago
Hamlicar_B_Rules
McCain needs someone young and hip and can counter the Obama factor, period.
Posted by Pluto2493 8 years ago
Pluto2493
Minnesota a swing state? I don't think so. In the 1984 election, Minnesota was the only state in America to vote Democrat, and they have voted for every democratic candidate since 1976.
Posted by Pluto2493 8 years ago
Pluto2493
Not to suggest anything for the contender AHEM**listen**AHEM, but he spelled John McCain wrong.
Posted by Hamlicar_B_Rules 8 years ago
Hamlicar_B_Rules
Are you serious schwarzenegger?
Posted by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
He should ask Arnold Schwarzenegger to be his running mate.
Vote Placed by HappilyMarried 8 years ago
HappilyMarried
advidiunLife_is_AbstractTied
Vote Placed by Jamesothy 8 years ago
Jamesothy
advidiunLife_is_AbstractTied
Vote Placed by advidiun 8 years ago
advidiun
advidiunLife_is_AbstractTied
Vote Placed by Rboy159 8 years ago
Rboy159
advidiunLife_is_AbstractTied
Vote Placed by brittwaller 8 years ago
brittwaller
advidiunLife_is_AbstractTied
Vote Placed by SPF 8 years ago
SPF
advidiunLife_is_AbstractTied
Vote Placed by eminent_fate 8 years ago
eminent_fate
advidiunLife_is_AbstractTied
Vote Placed by debate12345 8 years ago
debate12345
advidiunLife_is_AbstractTied
Vote Placed by debatingisfun 8 years ago
debatingisfun
advidiunLife_is_AbstractTied
Vote Placed by negativedebater1 8 years ago
negativedebater1
advidiunLife_is_AbstractTied