Mags2
otello

If President Obama is a Good President or Not

Mags2

Mags2

Con

Since I am on the con, i will be arguing that President Obama is a bad president. Comment if you want to be in this debate!
otello

Pro

otello
Obama has exceeded expectations as the first African-
amrican president in our history. Aside from walking a narrow line and not giving the appearance of favoring blacks he has maintained his composure in spite of great hostility. Policy wise he has created the Ledbetter Act. Promoted new regulations on the financial indistry. Began the work of remedying a new health care system. Reinvigorated foreign policy with new found respect. Established new environmental laws. Enforced civil rights laws and has fought voter suppression. Turned the economy around from a severely contracted one. Placed 2 women on the Supreme Court.
Mags2

Con

First off, there is a Such thing called commas. To rebuttal your statement "turned the economy around from a contracted one,"Back in 2008, Democratic President hopeful Barack Obama fielded criticisms for the tax plans he proposed for the American people if he got elected. They were deemed "socialist" by his Republican rivals. Today, President Obama faces stark criticism of the very same tax policies from not only his political rivals but also from various other sections of the society. In fact, America"s first black President has been given the dubious honor of deliberately orchestrating what may well be a second Great Depression, matching the devastating downturn of 1929. Th seats have been an all time low in Obama's "reign." Even the Russian leader Putin believes he is a weak leader."I"m very worried that Putin, who can read a calendar just as well as the rest of us can, sees that Obama has two more years in office, and he will redouble his efforts during that period to get what he wants from Ukraine and other former republics of the Soviet Union, and other [former Soviet satellite nations]
otello

Pro

Be more explicit. What tax plans? And do you think they were socialistic? Are you talking about the bailout? I do not deem credible any politician or person who opposes new policies or economic plans as socialistic. And you are now saying that Obama caused the Great Recession in 2007 and 2008? That Bush and his 2 unpaid wars and Medicare part D drug plan for seniors had nothing to do with the recession? Or Bush's deregulation and laissez-faire approach to the mortgage securitization scandal ? And you have no idea how Putin sees Obama or anyone. And polls have shown that the US has climbed in international esteem greatly as compared to the last few years under Bush. I can easily list some of Obama's true failings. Can you?
Mags2

Con

The "explicit" tax plans that he proposed and never fufilled is this, Obama's plan gives the biggest cuts to those who make the least, while McCain would give the largest cuts to the very wealthy. For the approximately 147,000 families that make up the top 0.1 percent of the income scale, the difference between the two plans is stark. Yes, Obama offered less taxes to families, but last time I checked,that hasn't happened.

To go back to your first statement being "Obama has exceeded expectations as the first African-American president in our history." What makes that good? Just because he is black? Being a good president is not based of of what ethnicity you are, it's about your plans of making a country better than what you started with.

To your statement blaming George Bush for the Great Recession. It wasn't even during his presidency.The resulting loss of wealth led to sharp cutbacks in consumer spending. This loss of consumption, combined with the financial market chaos triggered by the bursting of the bubble, also led to a collapse in business investment. As consumer spending and business investment dried up, massive job loss followed. In 2008 and 2009, the U.S. labor market lost 8.4 million jobs, or 6.1% of all payroll employment. This was the most dramatic employment contraction (by far) of any recession since the Great Depression. By comparison, in the deep recession that began in 1981, job loss was 3.1%, or only about half as severe. - See more at: http://stateofworkingamerica.org...
As you can see, this had nothing to do with Bush.

The resulting loss of wealth led to sharp cutbacks in consumer spending. This loss of consumption, combined with the financial market chaos triggered by the bursting of the bubble, also led to a collapse in business investment. As consumer spending and business investment dried up, massive job loss followed. In 2008 and 2009, the U.S. labor market lost 8.4 million jobs, or 6.1% of all payroll employment. This was the most dramatic employment contraction (by far) of any recession since the Great Depression. By comparison, in the deep recession that began in 1981, job loss was 3.1%, or only about half as severe. - See more at: http://stateofworkingamerica.org...
See, Obama has tried to increase jobs, but just can after the deep recession for which he caused.

Not only is he a bad president, but he is a liar as well.Perhaps the most significant broken promise of Obama"s stimulus was that it would keep the unemployment rate below 8 percent. This was the promise Obama and White House economists made to sell the stimulus to the public. Had Obama"s projections been a reality, the economy would have recovered to roughly where it had been prior to the 2008 financial crash. Not only did unemployment not stay below 8
Read more at http://rare.us...

Another reason is,Reason #19: Largest deficits in history. It should come as no surprise that under a president who sees government as the answer to all of life"s problems that the deficit would skyrocket. Not only did it skyrocket, but Obama has given us the highest U.S. deficits in history: $1.4 trillion, $1.3 trillion, $1.3 trillion, and $1.1 trillion. Breitbart.com"s William Bigelow put these numbers into perspective: "There have never been deficits remotely approaching these; the last year of George W. Bush"s tenure, the deficit was less than half-a-trillion dollars."
Read more at http://rare.us...

My list of reason can go on forever, but can yours?
otello

Pro

In terms of tax reduction you would prefer reducing the taxes of the top 1%? How would that improve the economic state of the country? It wouldn't. Also, Obama could not reduce taxes on the bottom 2 quintiles because that would not have been permitted by Congress. He barely got the stimulus package passed. And that did help the workers much more than doing nothing.
In terms of being black his mere existence in the White House has provoked an immense amount of racism and fear throughout the white community. The fact that he has withstood rude attacks that would never have happened had he been white is truly impressive. And in spite of that, the country is in better shape than it was in 2008.
How do you manage to absolve Bush from any complicity in the Great Recession? Don't ignore the 2 unpaid for wars. Don't ignore Medicare Part D? Don't ignore his ignoring the deregulation of the financial industry. You mention the loss of wealth that led to spending cutbacks. How did that wealth loss occur? Who caused it? Bush and his lackeys. You list stats for jobs loss but you do not give the cause. Do you want to look at the repeal of Glass - Steagle? Do you want to cite the securitzation of the mortgage industry under Bush and the evisceration of the financial regulators to oversee what was happening with the derivatives? You gloss over these very important occurrences to indict Obama. That won't wash.

You say a bubble burst. What bubble was that? The housing bubble? Tell us more about that.
Now in terms of the stimulus package. You are right Obama and his people went out on a limb and made a bold projection. Foolish. He should have stayed mum and waited. It is now just above 6%.
The stimulus turned the economy around and maybe have gotten unemployment down to 8% if he had made the stimulus 3 billion instead of under 1 billion. But Congress would never have permitted a 3 billion dollar stimulus. The deficits did rise considerably the first 2 years but how the deficit is declining. They rose becuse it tookat least 2 years for the economy to improve and government spending was used to stimulate the economy ala Keynesian Economic theory.
So far you haven't given me some valid criticisms of Obama. I await them.
Posted by Mags2 2 years ago
Mags2
I never even asked you to refute my statements! P.S don't quote me.
Posted by otello 2 years ago
otello
Mags2Sorry, but I will not bow down to your incompetence. If it makes you happy, I will gladly refute your statements. Killing OBL was not any of his achievements, if anything it should go to George Bush.
O- Bush?? Are you serious or delirious? I can argue against someone who turns reality upside down. Bush let him get away.

All obama did was give the order to fire.
O- And that took courage.
Also, with immigration, he blamed the economy and the Republicans for failure of pledge. Wow..... A president who can't even take the the fall..
O- That's it.....Your rebuttal on immigration is that he did not fulfill his pledge which he did in 2 parts. The dreamers and his recent initiative on immigration. And that is all he can do pending Congress' involvement.
Once again you show us that once you get past the RW talking points force fed into you by the Limbaugh /Fox News crowd you are lost. It is time we put an end to this. Say goodnight, Gracie.
Posted by Mags2 2 years ago
Mags2
Sorry, but I will not bow down to your incompetence. If it makes you happy, I will gladly refute your statements. Killing OBL was not any of his achievements, if anything it should go to George Bush. All obama did was give the order to fire. Also, with immigration, he blamed the economy and the Republicans for failure of pledge. Wow..... A president who can't even take the the fall..
Posted by otello 2 years ago
otello
LOL IOW dont correct my fallacies and misconceptions. I am right because I say so. Your refusal to respond to my points tells me that in actuality I won and you lost. Now, on that note, you may move on.
Posted by Mags2 2 years ago
Mags2
Obviously my conceptions are correct, you just don't realize that they are. Also, please don't try and correct mine.. Correct yours!
Posted by otello 2 years ago
otello
In terms of the stimulus it was a success. It stopped the economic contraction and it turned the economy around. Look at the economic numbers from 2009 to 2012. Secondly, the large deficits came from the stimulus spending and using the government to prod the economy. That is Keynseian economics. Third, what tax dollars to terrorist groups? Sounds like an off the wall conspiracy to me. Fourth the Keystone deal is not dead. It may happen with the new Republican Congress.
And I dont care about losing. What I care about is correcting your misconceptions and RW view of the world.
Posted by Mags2 2 years ago
Mags2
So, move on, its okay!
Posted by Mags2 2 years ago
Mags2
Yes, he has done a lot, but he has done more bad than good. Explain the stimulus failure, largest deficits in American history, tax dollars to terrorist groups, and even killing the keystone pipeline. One fact that you need to accept is that you lost.
Posted by otello 2 years ago
otello
Ok So rebut and refute Obama's achievements in the first term which I listed from the Ledbetter law to Obamacare, to Dodd-Frank, to fixing the college loan issue, to killing OBL, to moderately fixing the immigration problem, to pulling out of Iraq, passing the stimulus that turned the recession around.........I think he has done quite al lot.
Posted by Mags2 2 years ago
Mags2
Ok.. Obviously, you have never heard the term "sore loser." Also, what are you even talking about with the first term? If I didn't rebuttal your statement then, I will now!
Vote Placed by matspub 2 years ago
matspub
Mags2otelloTied
Reasons for voting decision: way better at debating
Vote Placed by 1Credo 2 years ago
1Credo
Mags2otelloTied
Reasons for voting decision: Arguments to Con