holla1755
Cobalt

If You're Right, You Can Convince Me of Your Side

Cobalt has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

holla1755

Pro

Suppose you are on the right side of a claim. Then all of your experiences and knowledge come together and form your correct position. You can convince me that you are right by disclosing the appropriate experiences and knowledge to me. Therefore, you can convince me of your side.
Cobalt

Con

Suppose there is a box on the other end of the universe and it is known that in this box is either an hourglass or an apple. If we were to attempt to travel to this box, its contents would be long destroyed beyond recognition by the time we got there. I claim it contains an apple and I am correct.

I have no way to convince you of the correctness of my claim. Because my claim is ultimately a guess and the contents of the box can never be explored, there is no evidence that my claim is correct. But my claim is correct because I guessed correctly.

Your resolutional claim in defeated in the case that I make a claim which is (a) a guess, (b) not checkable and (c) correct.
holla1755

Pro

You present a good, enlightening argument. Your argument, however, rests on some questionable implicit assumptions.

First of all, you implicitly assume traveling to the box can not be done in sufficient time. This assumption may ultimately be false. Quantum mechanical concepts including quantum entanglement could allow for traveling to the box in sufficient time or even for simply obtaining the information of what is in the box in sufficient time.

Second, you implicitly assume the content of the box will not be in the box forever. This assumption may also be false. The content of the box may be perfectly preserved forever unless some change in its environment will occur.

Third, you implicitly assume a guess can be a claim. This assumption may be false. My opening argument suggests your experiences and knowledge come into play in forming your position on the claim. Your position thus does not seem to be a guess. It's a belief you yourself have justified.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
If I am right that 1+1=2..I can not convince you...If you think it is not..
Posted by Jonbonbon 1 year ago
Jonbonbon
Beyond what Masterful said, sometimes you know less about the subject than someone else, but you happen to be right. For example, I'm a Christian, and if God happens to exist but no one is ever convinced by my best arguments, that doesn't make me wrong. It just means there's probably a better apologist out there. But two things are true: I'm right, and I cannot convince anyone of that.
Posted by Masterful 1 year ago
Masterful
Unless I have brain damage and am therefore unable to present my argument properly.