wmatychuk
moyalo

If a teenage girl is raped, is an abortion justified?

wmatychuk

Con

I do not believe that abortion should be legal. Restating what TeaPartyAtheist said in a previous debate, the baby develops enough of itself within just a few weeks of being conceived that is should truly already be considered a human being. It quickly develops a nervous system, heartbeat, etc. And to argue that a teenage girls education (which I do admit IS very important,) is more important than a human life seems to me to be ignorance! Imagine if your mother (or father) decided to go back to university, and she didn't want the stress of taking care of a child, so she had you killed? And is this inflating the issue? No! You are just as human as that baby is, and the theoretical teenage girl is simply getting rid of the baby because she doesn't want the trouble of taking care of it. So your mother killing you because she needs more education is exactly the same. I thereby conclude that it should not be legal AT ALL, unless the mothers life is at stake, at which point the baby should be extracted at a point when it could survive outside the mother's womb, and taken care of within a hospital or somewhere specializing in this until adopted by someone who gives a crap about the kid. I conclude my opening statement.
moyalo

Pro

This is not a girl that decided to have sex and ended up having an unplanned pregnancy. This is a girl that has been through the traumatic experience of rape. This girl should not have to carry around the baby for nine months(basically a school year) The girl will have a high amount of stress with school and pregnancy. This is not healthy for the girl and may lead to depression ,which may lead to other health problems. The girl has to walk around the school like a normal kid but the pregnancy adds a load of weight which is really tough to carry with all the books that you have to carry already. How would you feel if you were known as the girl that had a baby at 16,17. She won't be able to hide this from her friends , but she can hide the fact she had sex.If she has a boyfriend the boyfriend will probably stop dating her because he may feel uncomfortable dating a pregnant women.Then when the girl thinks about all the things she has to juggle she may decide to drop out of school instead of going to a good college. The girl's dreams shouldn't be ruined by the rapist who had sex with her.
wmatychuk

Con

You seem to be implying that the girls feelings are more important than a human life. If you had the choice to either relieve someone of stress or save someone's life, which would you choose? To say that the girl's education is more important than a human life is, in my opinion, completely incorrect. Why should the baby have to pay the ultimate price just so that the girl doesn't get gossiped about? And if her friends and boyfriend truly care about her, they'll stick around to support her. Do you call those who abandon the ones in need friends? I wouldn't. And dropping out of high school in order to bring a human life into the world seems like a price worth paying to me.
moyalo

Pro

moyalo forfeited this round.
wmatychuk

Con

Due to your inability to respond to my previous argument, I still await your rebuttal.
moyalo

Pro

moyalo forfeited this round.