YoungHoole
ChristianM

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, it makes a sound.

YoungHoole

Pro

This debate is merely on the fact that if a tree falls in a forest, excluding all vacuums, it will made a sound, even if no one is there to hear it. I won't begin this debate with a huge argument about the physics behind it, but just because the sound of the fall was not detected, does not mean that no sound was created. Thank you and good luck! :)
ChristianM

Con

I thank my opponent for starting this topic and i wish to extend a "Buena Suerte". I will allow my opponent to start
YoungHoole

Pro

Thanks and buena suerte to you too! :)

I will begin with a few points to clear up our debate topic.

Forest: a large densely wooded area
Tree: A woody perennial plant having a single, usually elongated main stem or trunk with few or no branches on its lower part.
Vacuum: a region that is devoid of matter

I will now go on to my points.

I. Sound is Always Created:
~The tree, while hitting the ground, will create vibrations. These vibrations will cause sound to be created. Period. There is always sound produced when a tree falls, due to physics. Any scientist will tell you this.

II. Detection of Sound and Creation of Sound are Different:
~Detecting a sound means that somebody heard/hears it. The creation is just the vibrations made. Vibrations will always be made. That is proven and a fact. The detection of a sound can be limited in numerous ways: being deaf, physical blocks that keep the sound from reaching you, or just simply not being there to hear the sound.

Now, you must not only refute my points, but also tell me why sound is not created. Thanks so much! :D
ChristianM

Con

*QUOTE* Thanks and buena suerte to you too! :)

Forest: a large densely wooded area

I will now go on to my points.

I. Sound is Always Created:

Now, you must not only refute my points, but also tell me why sound is not created. Thanks so much! :D *END QUOTE*

Well, I will follow your directions and do so.

~~~~~CONTENTION 1 REBUTTAL:Sound is Always Created~~~~~
Yes, I do agree with this point. Sound is always created as stated by Newtons-by laws and yes any scientist will tell me this. However, your topic is "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, it makes a sound." Notice the phrase "if no one is around", nowhere in your does it state, scientifically speaking. Therefore it is all a matter of human perspective. Due to the fact that there is no one around to hear it, it does not exist. As a matter of fact, our US law system uses this very process to convict criminals. "Innocent until proven guilty" No witness. No crime. Or in this case, no ears, no sound. I would think a better topic for your argument is "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, did it still scientifically make a sound?"

~~~~~CONTENTION 2 REBUTTAL:Detection of Sound and Creation of Sound are Different~~~~~
~Detecting a sound means that somebody heard/hears it. The creation is just the vibrations made. Vibrations will always be made. That is proven and a fact. Vibrations will always be made." I agree with you on a scientific scale however, your topic is a matter of opinion and not science. Please refer to my first rebuttal again for my arguement and rebuttal. Detection of sound and Creation are 2 different things indeed. However, if there is nobody around to feel the vibrations, they never occured as stated by the Smithsonian INstitute on December 12,2008.

What my opponent lacked in his first argument was something that that may ruin him. And that was sources. this is why I urge a CON vote
YoungHoole

Pro

"nowhere in your does it state, scientifically speaking"
It doesn't need to. A sound is created, whether or not the sound is heard is beyond the point. The point is, a sound is created. Scienficially speaking doesn't need to be included, because a sound is created no matter what...

"Therefore it is all a matter of human perspective. Due to the fact that there is no one around to hear it, it does not exist."
No it's not. Detection is a matter of human perspective. Detection is when a person or something hears or senses the sound. Just because that does not happen, does not mean that the sound was not created. WHen people try to say that just because someone wasn't there, a sound wasn't created, it is completely beside the point! What difference would it make if someone was there? It would be detected. Either way, a sound is produced. Also, now this may defy my thesis, but of course in a forest, there are small bugs and insects and animals. The small insects don't make an impact on the sound being created. They are there to detect it. In any forest (refer to definiton) there are little bugs and animals. I am sorry if this maybe wasn't fully clear in my first few rounds, and I apoligize. It shouldn't make a difference in the long run though!

The US law system is not science. It's a form of logic. Detection and creation of sound is scientifical, and is not logic. Those two points do not really even relate to eachother!

"However, if there is nobody around to feel the vibrations, they never occured as stated by the Smithsonian INstitute on December 12,2008."

Okay, while this may be true, in a forest, things are there. The vibrations will occur and will be felt by the ground, other plants, and little creatures that reside in the forest.

As to my sources, my sources are pure science. Ask any science professor or teacher. They will fully support my case. I haven't presented any facts that require a source other than just science.

I would like to thank you in advance for this great debate and good luck! :)
ChristianM

Con

ChristianM forfeited this round.
Posted by YoungHoole 5 years ago
YoungHoole
I don't think so! (: Hahaa!
Posted by RacH3ll3 5 years ago
RacH3ll3
@ younghoole: have you ever had a debate where the opponent didn't forfiet?
Posted by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
usafkid, Yes, I saw your comment. It's up to each debater to plan how they are going to post at the time they accept the debate. If I miss a post in one of my debates, I expect to get dinged for conduct.
Posted by YoungHoole 5 years ago
YoungHoole
It's okay. (:
Posted by ChristianM 5 years ago
ChristianM
Roy did u see my previous comment?
Posted by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
Con granted that the tree makes a sound. The resolution was that it makes it sound. Therefore Pro wins the argument. Con might have argued that a vibration is not a "sound" unless it is perceived. Conduct lost by Con forfeiting.
Posted by ChristianM 5 years ago
ChristianM
I was at school and i could not post!!! I FEEL SOOOOOOOO BAD!!!!!!!!1
Posted by YoungHoole 5 years ago
YoungHoole
Thanks for the debate, even though you forfeied the last round! :D
Posted by ChristianM 5 years ago
ChristianM
then he would win :)
Posted by zach12 5 years ago
zach12
why not just put a camera in the forest...
Vote Placed by The_Booner 5 years ago
The_Booner
YoungHooleChristianMTied
Vote Placed by RacH3ll3 5 years ago
RacH3ll3
YoungHooleChristianMTied
Vote Placed by s0m31john 5 years ago
s0m31john
YoungHooleChristianMTied
Vote Placed by Epicism 5 years ago
Epicism
YoungHooleChristianMTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
YoungHooleChristianMTied
Vote Placed by YoungHoole 5 years ago
YoungHoole
YoungHooleChristianMTied