sahaam
that_guy_who_debates

If a woman gets raped she should have the decision/right to have an abortion.

that_guy_who_debates

sahaam

Pro

I believe that if a woman gets raped she should have the decision/right to have an abortion.

My 1st point is that she didn't want this baby! She forcefully got into this mess.Its not her fault.Getting raped must be very horrible and a terrible experience.Its a woman's night mare.And if she gets pregnant and gives birth and its to late to have an abortion because she had no choice but to keep it,then she will have to live with something she never wanted.

My 2nd point is that there have been cases of woman getting raped having a baby and then killing it because they couldn't have an abortion.Then the mother either gets home detention or goes to jail herself.This is NOT fair because shes probably really depressed knowing that the father is this sick man.One woman even said that the reason she killed her baby was because 1.She got raped and she didn't want it. 2.She wasn't aloud to have an abortion 3.The baby looked like her rapist and she just had to kill it.

So a woman should have the decision/right to have an abortion if she gets raped.
that_guy_who_debates

Con

While the argument of abortion is a serious issue in this country, many people overlook the fact that the choice that the woman makes doesn't affect her life, but also the life of another.
For my first contention, you make the point that she did not want to be forced into having the baby. However, the BABY did not want to be forced into this either. How is it the child's fault that the mother was raped and now has to die because the mother does not want to raise him.
My second argument is that if the mother truly does not want the baby, she doesn't have to kill it but should rather put it up for adoption. In most states, you are legally able to take a baby to the fire department, with no questions asked, and put it up for adoption. Why would you take something so valuable (life) and completely take away the chance of it living a life so that you don't have to go through emotional stress. What about the feelings of that baby? And although our adoption system in America is currently failing, if I were put in the situation of that baby, I would much rather live in a foster care system then not live at all. How can you deprive another life of something that you enjoy and still consider yourself to be a good person.
To counter your second point, that is murder, which is illegal in this country. No matter what your opinion on abortion, killing another human being after it has been born and is alive is murder and they should be sent to jail. No matter what the baby looks like, if she just ,"had to kill it" then she should seek mental help and just put the baby up for adoption rather than killing it. Killing another human life for personal reasons is not only selfish, but it makes you a person doesn't deserve to live.
My third point is that in this country, there have been several stories recently in the news about how people who had abortions died. What if that were to happen to the mother? That's two unecessary deaths because of ones selfishness. In conclusion, if the woman doesn't want the baby, there is no justification for killing and she should just put it up for adoption.
sahaam

Pro

You said that its not the babies fault and the baby wouldn't want to die,but there also have been a very large number of cases of babies who have grown up found there real mothers asked them why they have been adopted and then the mother tells them the story.This will make the child so upset and the child will have to live for the rest of his or her life knowing that he or her is a raped child.So it actually does affect the child,rapist and mother.

My 2nd point is the guy in America raped 3 woman and is now a father to one of the girls children.How do you think the mother would be feeling and when the child grows up he or she will know the whole story and know how he or shes mother has suffered.The child will probably end up depressed and probably even commit suicide.So what's the point of making it live when its more likely to kill itself anyways?

The mother will never forget it for the rest of her life and suffer.If she wants to have an abortion she should have every right to.How would you feel if say for example your wife got raped got pregnant and couldn't have an abortion when she wanted to?
that_guy_who_debates

Con

To counter your first contention, I'm sure that if you asked the "raped baby" whether or not it would rather live with that or lived at all, it would have chosen the first option of living. And can you cite any evidence of any children being upset at learning this discovery?
While your second point makes little sense, what I think that it says is about how the mother feels after. Honestly, I wouldn't know I am not the mother of a child that wasn't consensual. I do however know that getting an abortion also brings on emotional distress. According to www.40daysforlife.com, ""I myself had four abortions," Linda wrote. "1976, 1979, 1982, 1985. This year " 2010 " in June, I only have begun to feel the release of guilt, blame and shame for what I have done. It took me 24 years before I attended a post-abortion healing retreat. It took me another nine years to be a part of the Silent No More program."
To your third point, I am not married nor am I of age to get married, so I wouldn't know how I felt. However, if that was the case, I would definitely raise the child as my own because taking responsibility is what separates the weak from the strong and I choose to take care of one of God's miracles rather than killing it. Please explain how she has every right to kill another human being, let alone one of her own children.

As a side note, you failed to counter any of my arguments that I made and because you have the burden of proof, I have won the first round. You also keep reiterating the same arguments which I have countered with statistics that you have not addressed.
sahaam

Pro

1st of all you can not say that you won the 1st round because that's the peoples decision not yours. I never said that you were married I said for EXAMPLE so that was an example.Do you think it was in gods will to have this innocent woman raped? You said that the baby was gods creation.Well you might as well say that god says to go rape someone because its my will and I made it.RAPE IS NOT OK and ITS NOT GODS WILL.

Was Linda raped that she had an abortion? I don't think shes been raped four times.Where talking about RAPED woman and abortions not just woman who haven't been raped and had abortions.

The woman actually does have every right to abort a child that she did NOT consent to. Thats why there is a things called "abortion". So you can abort your child that you did not want.

Woman are upset when they keep there raped baby there have been cases of woman killing themselves which proves there upset.
Also the child would be upset that he or she is a raped baby/child because they know that its wrong.I even have said that some raped babies that have grown up have committed suicide so of course there upset.

You said that I failed to counter any of your arguments but its kind of the other way around you havent answered ALL of my questions yet I have answered ALL of yours.
that_guy_who_debates

Con

To adress your first rant, I never said rape was God's Will. Never in my entire argument have I. When asked what I would do in my personal situation, I addressed that which you have either misenterpreted or trieds to conskew. In my personal belief, all life is God's creation and God has already prewilled everything to happen a certain way for a certain reason. That is my religious belief and it may not be yours, which is wonderful that there is diversity. However, you asked me which mine was. You say that the woman actually does have every right, and while this is a pretty bold statement, you provide absolutely no evidence to why this is and you cite no sources why she should be able to. You also never mention a case where a woman has killed herself which makes me believe that that has never happened and because you are affirmative you have the burden of proof to prove this. To address the claim about suicide, different people commit suicide for different reasons. I'm sure that people who were not concieved as a result of rape have also commited suicide which flaws this argument.
I don't have to answer all of your questions because I am the neg team. As the affirmative, you have to respond to all of mine and if you do not then I win. That's how Policy Debate works. Good Debate and Good luck
Posted by Juan_Pablo 4 years ago
Juan_Pablo
I'm not pro abortion (as I see nothing that should be celebrated about the procedure) but I do believe a woman should have the right to choose an abortion if realistic circumstances require her to.

I don't believe abortion should be used as a regular means of birth control.
Posted by Solomon_Grim 4 years ago
Solomon_Grim
This gets brought up a lot in the abortion debate. I hate abortion, but let it happen if a woman gets raped. However, pregnancy from rape happens so rarely it shouldn't even be brought up.
Posted by Ragnar 4 years ago
Ragnar
Withholding my vote, due to massive bias in favor of pro's side.
Vote Placed by Themoderate 4 years ago
Themoderate
sahaamthat_guy_who_debatesTied
Reasons for voting decision: I believe CON won this argument for the following reasons. 1. CON had much better conduct in this debate than PRO 2.PRO was getting too personal in this debate 3. Pro kept repeating his arguments while CON made more and new convincing arguments. 4. When PRO made the statement about suicide, he had no sources to back it up, but CON should have used sources though this debate. 5.Even though I am against abortion, and believe in the cases of rape it should be her choice, CON made a great convincing statement about how it shouldn't be the child's punishment and the child was not forced into this on purpose and you can adopt. Those are my reasons. I just wished CON could have used sources.
Vote Placed by Gondun 4 years ago
Gondun
sahaamthat_guy_who_debatesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had the more convincing argument because Pro simply repeated his arguments without evidence while Con actually made an effort to prove his side. Even if Con's evidence was for non-rape abortions, it was still better than Pro's lack of evidence. Also for Con, the BoP does not automatically go to whoever is the Pro debater and this is not policy debate.
Vote Placed by Juan_Pablo 4 years ago
Juan_Pablo
sahaamthat_guy_who_debatesTied
Reasons for voting decision: I think a woman should have the right to opt for an abortion if life's circumstances require it. I do not believe that abortion should be used as an accepted, common form of birth control. I think condoms/birth control pills can achieve that all on their own! If a woman is raped, I definitely believe she has a right to abort the fetus if it provides her with crippling emotional stress! My vote goes to Pro.