PrimeLunatic
Lightningstar

If human meat was sold in corporate grocery stores the majority of people would be fine with it...

Lightningstar

PrimeLunatic

Pro

...and would be eating the products.

Following a protest by PETA [link below], an interesting theory popped in my head that if human meat were sold in large corporate grocery stores, such as Safeway, Walmart, or Publix, the majority of people would not only be completely fine with it, but they would also be participating in the practice of cannibalism.

Before I explain my theory any further I would love to hear what my opponent has to say about this. Feel free to use anything from personal opinions and perspectives to any sources you can find on the internet.

For the sake of the argument, please accept the extremely miniscule possibility of this happening, disregard the fact that this is a highly taboo topic, and discard any questions or statements on how the meat would have to be acquired.

http://www.peta.org...
Lightningstar

Con

I think this is an extremely fascinating topic and I'm honored to be able to accept your challenge.
PrimeLunatic

Pro

First of all, I would like to thank my opponent for accepting my challenge.

Secondly, for the purpose of this debate only, I would like to 'create' a fictional universe that I will refer to as ‘Universe X’.

Now, imagine that in Universe X almost everything is exactly the same down to the locations of the hairs on your chinny chin-chin. Well, everything, besides the fact that human meat has recently been appearing in the freezer section of your alternate self's local grocery store.

Let’s switch back to our universe for a few moments. Would Walmart, Safeway, or Grocery Outlet simply be able to place a human torso next to the chicken breasts? They would not due to the fact that we have laws prohibiting mishandling and mutilating a human corpse, and with those laws intact it makes it pretty hard to consume human flesh legally.

"Mutilation of corpse is a wrong of willfully, recklessly, wantonly, unlawfully, or negligently dismembering or disfiguring by cutting, scratching, or mishandling the body of a dead person. It is an offense of dissecting or dismembering, without authority, the dead body of a person."

-uslegal

http://definitions.uslegal.com...

Imagine how food is processed and handled on its journey to the freezer section of your favorite grocery store. With a human corpse, this would fall under mishandling the body of a dead person, meaning that it would be illegal to even place an unmutilated body in the trucks that carry the food products. There would be no way a very large corporation would be able to sell human meat in this Universe, especially in a first world country such as America.

So exactly how did human meat get on the shelf of a grocery store in Universe X? What exactly would have to happen?

First, the laws prohibiting mishandling and mutilating a human corpse would have to be repealed in that universe. Let's call the repeal of these laws 'Event A'.

Moving on for now, what would have had to happen to have these laws repealed?

People who are in very high positions of power would have had to agree upon the removal of such a law, meaning that not only do those people find the consumption of human meat acceptable, but there is the possibility that those same people practice cannibalism themselves.

In our universe, repealing a law is a very difficult task, meaning that the society in Universe X would have had a very good reason to attempt such a chore.

Now what happened after the law was repealed in Universe X? Or, should I ask, what should have happened? This is the mystery event that apparently never occurred in our fictional universe. This event, which we'll call 'Event B', was the key to stopping the next event from ever happening. The next event, which we'll call 'Event C', is the very first time human meat was ever sold in a corporate grocery store.

But something is not right. Where did Event B go in Universe X? What would happen if Event A were to happen in this universe?

We'll let's look back at the meat adulteration scandal, involving horse meat being found and sold in stores in Europe.

"The controversy in the U.S. over horsemeat comes as a scandal rocks Europe. It began when tests in Ireland revealed some products contained horsemeat instead of beef. Since then, consumers have been shocked to learn horsemeat has been found in products sold across Europe. British supermarkets have pulled more than 10 million burgers from shelves."

-wnd

http://www.wnd.com...

As you can see, people did not react very well to the fact that horse meat was found in the food products they were buying. Some even showed disgust and shock after learning this fact.

So what would happen if human meat were to be sold in stores?

This is, Event B, our mystery event which would most likely happen if Event A were to ever occur in our universe.

• Possible riots
  • Extreme disgust
  • Protests
  • Letters being written to congressmen and other politicians
  • News broadcasts all over the world
  • Civilians demanding that the law be put back

A law like this being repealed would never go undetected and the fact that no one complained about it before human meat hit the market is very strange, leading me to the logical conclusion that the society in Universe X actually finds cannibalism acceptable to the point where no one did anything to stop Event A and Event C from happening.

There is also the possibility that all of the above would occur during the process of Event A, stopping that event and the following ones from every happening. In either universe, if Event A does not occur than neither will Event B nor Event C, and if Event B occurs than Event C cannot. I do not believe that Event B and Event C can co-exist. However, if Event B were to happen in this universe than Event C would not be possible, meaning that the majority of the population would find consumption of human meat a despicable act. However, if Event B did, in fact, not happen following Event A than it would mean society has deemed cannibalism acceptable.

As a final note, corporations and companies in our universe do not sell products in which there is no demand for. Other than antique shops, it is virtually impossible for me to find a type writer in stores, such as Walmart, due to the fact that they do not sell. Products in stores that are not selling are eventually pulled from the shelves and replaced with another product. The fact that human meat is sold in grocery stores in Universe X means that there is a demand for it.

Conclusion-

Cannibalism is practiced so much in Universe X that not only is it socially acceptable, not only is there a demand for human flesh, and not only have laws been repealed regarding the practice of mutilating and mishandling human corpses, but companies are actually able to make profits from all of this.

Lightningstar

Con

Wow very interesting assumption. I'm afraid my whole argument rested on it happening in this reality or universe, but I'll adapt it for universe x.

Now let's assume that in universe x all historical events have happened the same way as in our universe. http://listverse.com...
Every single example given in this article states that canibslism is wrong and disgusting. Even events like the Donner Party where even though cannibalism happened out of desperation they were still shunned and ridiculed by society. Humans have a basic fear off eating human flesh. This fear and discuss lies in our DNA it's bread in us from the moment we are born. Therefore event A would never have happened.

My next argument is about the health risks from eating human flesh. Eating human flesh can be fatal. Large as sounds of cannibals acquire a disease known a kuru. Kuru is a neurological disease that is very similar to mad cow disease. It causes the brain to deteoriate. There have been many cases were the consumption of human flesh over long periods of time causes pus and ulsers to form in the body.

Finally human meat is not very practical to eat from a nutritional standpoint. The brain has a lot of nutrition but that's also how kuru is acquired. The eyes are poisonous and the fingers and toes are made up of mostly cartilage and don't digest. The digestive and filtration systems contain waste materials and are also not safe to eat.
PrimeLunatic

Pro

"Every single example given in this article states that canibslism is wrong and disgusting. Even events like the Donner Party where even though cannibalism happened out of desperation they were still shunned and ridiculed by society. Humans have a basic fear off eating human flesh. This fear and discuss lies in our DNA it's bread in us from the moment we are born. Therefore event A would never have happened."

Wrong and disgusting are no more than social standards and can be overcome over time. Back in 1930, this same argument could have taken place with marijuana being the subject instead of cannibalism. I am sure most people back then would have agreed that had marijuana been sold in stores society's reaction would have been to be shocked and disgusted besides a select few people.

As for humans having a basic fear of eating flesh, this is no more than a primal instinct which can also be over come. Saying that humans have a basic fear of an activity means that we were not designed to do it. However, unlike other animals human can operate on reasoning skills, logic, superior cognitive abilities which allow us to make decisions that are not based on our basic emotional responses such as fear, anger,

"My next argument is about the health risks from eating human flesh. Eating human flesh can be fatal. Large as sounds of cannibals acquire a disease known a kuru. Kuru is a neurological disease that is very similar to mad cow disease. It causes the brain to deteoriate. There have been many cases were the consumption of human flesh over long periods of time causes pus and ulsers to form in the body."

The argument is more about nothing but society's reaction to human meat being sold in stores, but I will refute this anyway. As of now there is no known treatment for Kuru. However, assuming that cannibalism had been integrated in society there would be a higher demand for a cure to be made due to the fact that you would most likely find greater amounts of people with the disease. Of course, even if there wasn't a disease that has been found, people would still partake in the activity if it was socially acceptable.

If you want proof of this think of all the risks associated with unprotected sex with complete strangers. Out of those risks that I will discuss will be unplanned child birth and incurable diseases that remain with a person throughout the rest of their life. With the full knowledge of these risks people still partake in these activities.

"Finally human meat is not very practical to eat from a nutritional standpoint. The brain has a lot of nutrition but that's also how kuru is acquired. The eyes are poisonous and the fingers and toes are made up of mostly cartilage and don't digest. The digestive and filtration systems contain waste materials and are also not safe to eat."

In this day and age, people do not eat what is within a nutritional standpoint. Assuming, my opponent is in America (and I thoroughly apologize if you are not), we currently have an obesity epidemic going on. Why again, with the full knowledge that the food they eat is unhealthy, do people still choose to eat McDonalds and Burger King on a regular basis? Certain delicacy's in specific countries are not eaten based on nutritional value, but based upon society's view of that particular food.

For example, take a look at this article about horse meat:

"According to NutritionData, the strip steak has slightly fewer calories than horse (117 vs 133 calories per 100 grams), though this is obviously not be true for all cuts of beef. Sirloin, for example, contains 142 calories. The meats also have very similar amounts of fat, cholesterol and protein when lean cuts are compared.

Where the meats really differ is iron concentration, with horse meat having double the iron (21% vs 10% DV) that beef contains. It is not surprising that a more athletic animal has more iron, but the magnitude of the difference is striking. Horse meat also contains substantially more vitamin B12 (50% vs 21% DV), but less B6, niacin and folate.

But what's truly impressive is the omega-3 fatty acid concentration in horse meat, which contains 360 mg (per 100 grams) compared to just 21 mg in strip steak. Omega-3s are essential fatty acids that need to be obtained from your diet. They are thought to be helpful in fighting against heart disease, stroke and neurodegeneration.

Compared to lean beef, horse meat appears to have some nutritional advantages. If we do ever manage to get past the taboo, at least we know there's good nutrition on the other side."

As you can clearly see, even though horse meat is much healthier than beef from a nutritional standpoint, the majority of people refuse to eat it due to the stigma.

The only way for human meat to be sold in stores would be for society to accept it first, meaning that they would, in fact, be completely fine with it.

Lightningstar

Con

"Wrong and disgusting are no more than social standards and can be overcome over time. Back in 1930, this same argument could have taken place with marijuana being the subject instead of cannibalism. I am sure most people back then would have agreed that had marijuana been sold in stores society's reaction would have been to be shocked and disgusted besides a select few people."

On the contrariety there are people who are still disgusted and think it's wrong. Even though some think it's alright "a minority in fact" most still think this and it's not socially acceptable. Its still very much illegal federally. Though that's a different debate. The point is even though some find it acceptable is not accepted by all and a lot of people are not ok with it.

"As for humans having a basic fear of eating flesh, this is no more than a primal instinct which can also be over come. Saying that humans have a basic fear of an activity means that we were not designed to do it. However, unlike other animals human can operate on reasoning skills, logic, superior cognitive abilities which allow us to make decisions that are not based on our basic emotional responses such as fear, anger."

Again I disagree we have an instinctive fear of darkness,heights, and fire these are fears that no one can overcome completely. If you disagree put your hand in a fireplace and see if you have no fear.

"In this day and age, people do not eat what is within a nutritional standpoint. Assuming, my opponent is in America (and I thoroughly apologize if you are not), we currently have an obesity epidemic going on. Why again, with the full knowledge that the food they eat is unhealthy, do people still choose to eat McDonalds and Burger King on a regular basis? Certain delicacy's in specific countries are not eaten based on nutritional value, but based upon society's view of that particular food."

Again i disagree with all the health fads like gluten and fat free foods Americans are becoming more and more concerned about their health. And being unhealthy and diseased are very different. I may have failed to mention this but some parts are fullcof protein but not a lot of the body.

With this I conclude my argument and let me just say this was very fun and thought provoking. Oh and by the way I do live in the United States.
Posted by PrimeLunatic 2 years ago
PrimeLunatic
Got it.

I will respond sometime tonight or tomorrow after I finish life stuff.
Posted by Lightningstar 2 years ago
Lightningstar
I'm a he BTW.
Posted by LiberalLogic101 2 years ago
LiberalLogic101
Um, well, the first thing already happened : Lightningstar responded to your argument, now you respond to hers, and then eventually the debate ends.
Posted by PrimeLunatic 2 years ago
PrimeLunatic
So what happens now? I am new to this site.
Posted by LiberalLogic101 2 years ago
LiberalLogic101
When did you submit your response?

VERY interesting debate!

I know I wouldn't be eating it, but I actually agree with you.
Posted by PrimeLunatic 2 years ago
PrimeLunatic
Does my opponent withdraw or am I just impatient for his response?
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
Interesting
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
PrimeLunaticLightningstarTied
Reasons for voting decision: I didn't like pro's circular argumentation. His argument was basically human meat would only be sold in stores if people were fine with it. Winning an argument by defining your resolutions meaning as the conclusion isn't sufficient debating in my opinion.