TheCoolestPersonEver
1dustpelt

If music piracy is not eliminated, the music industry will come to an end

1dustpelt
Started: 4/12/2012 Category: Arts

TheCoolestPersonEver

Pro

Many musicians presently earn a living through many activities including performing, merchandising, and copyright royalties. However, recorded music arguably generates the most revenue for popular and independent musical acts. It is estimated that 12.5 billion dollars are lost every year due to music piracy (1). One might argue that although music piracy eliminates profit made from recorded music, it supposedly helps generate "buzz" about a new artist causing live-show-revenue to increase. However, while major-label artists may easily make money from touring, most independent musicians don't have financial support from a record label. This eliminates their american dream and forces them to accept a different occupation to make a living (2).

(1) http://www.riaa.com...

(2) http://riaa.com...
1dustpelt

Con

I accept. You have the Burden of Proof. I will be arguing that music piracy will not end the entire music industry.

Rebuttals
"However, recorded music arguably generates the most revenue for popular and independent musical acts. It is estimated that 12.5 billion dollars are lost every year due to music piracy (1)."
Will it end the entire music industry? No.

"One might argue that although music piracy eliminates profit made from recorded music, it supposedly helps generate "buzz" about a new artist causing live-show-revenue to increase. However, while major-label artists may easily make money from touring, most independent musicians don't have financial support from a record label. This eliminates their american dream and forces them to accept a different occupation to make a living (2)."
But it will not end the ENTIRE music industry.

If piracy is not eliminated, the music industry will continue.

TheCoolestPersonEver

Pro

Let's assume everyone listened to free music and musicians' only true money-making opportunity was performing. At first, the most popular artists would not suffer because of funding for their shows from the label. However, independent artists would disappear. Hypothetically, if a person wanted to make a living off of performing music with a limited budget, where would he get his money from? He can't record a song and sell it because no one will buy it. Yes, he can use a recorded song for "promotion," but he will have no money for equipment and other costs necessary for on-the-road performances. He can try to gain fans by performing in clubs, but it is very unlikely his career will go beyond the local music scene. Major labels only sign musicians who SELL a substantial amount of records, so after this generation of popular artists passes on, they will have nothing to look for. Labels will turn to using any random, talentless person and turning them into a star. This will upset listeners
1dustpelt

Con

Rebuttals
"
Let's assume everyone listened to free music and musicians' only true money-making opportunity was performing. At first, the most popular artists would not suffer because of funding for their shows from the label. However, independent artists would disappear. ... (not copying whole thing because of character limit)"
But the point is, NOT EVERYONE participates in piracy!

Contention 1
Not everyone participates in piracy. They still make money with the people who are not pirates.

Contention 2
Piracy exists now, and the music industry is doing just fine.

This debate is such an epic fail that I do not feel like writing a conclusion.
TheCoolestPersonEver

Pro

If nothing stops piracy websites, piracy will grow. Eventually, such a large amount of people will steal music that record companies will give up on trying to sell it. There are no signs of piracy slowing down. And I don't think there's always going to be people who are just going to continue to buy music when free downloading it is easier. Why should people buy what they can get for free? They'll turn to piracy. There's a chance that a few people will stick to buying music, but it won't be enough. Yes, it exists now, and the industry is fine, but piracy will grow.

If piracy didn't grow, there wouldn't be a huge problem and everything would continue the way it is today. But with nothing stopping it, almost no one will purchase music in the future causing a downfall in the music industry.
1dustpelt

Con

Rebuttals
"If nothing stops.......(His entire argument which I will not copy because of character limit)"
Why will people stop buying music? Yes, pirated music is free, BUT IT I ALSO ILLEGAL! People do not want to do illegal things.

My opponent does not prove that piracy will increase or end the entire music industry.

Vote PRO. :D
Posted by haert09 4 years ago
haert09
Hello My Dear,
I am well pleased to contact you after viewing your profile today through my mail contact mail address is
hamisikipkalye(at)yahoo(dot)com) give me your mail for easy contact send it directly to my mail box now and i will add you ok
God bless you.
Yours friend.
hamisi
Posted by TheCoolestPersonEver 5 years ago
TheCoolestPersonEver
I realize there are laws to limit piracy, but my point is that no one follows them. It's like recreational drugs; there are laws against it, but millions of people do it. In the same way, while there are laws against piracy, there's no way for law enforcement to stop everyone who does it. I just wanted to bring up the idea that if the government didn't take down these piracy websites, the music industry would drastically suffer.

I'm sorry if I totally messed up on my side of the debate, but this is my first try on this website. Anyway, in the end I just want to learn more about what I'm debating rather than prove I'm right. I thought I'd make this a good, informative experience.
Posted by drafterman 5 years ago
drafterman
No. But part of me hopes that it's true. This is why I pirate all of Nickelback's stuff.
Posted by Koopin 5 years ago
Koopin
Bah ha ha ha! Does anyone actually believe this?
Posted by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
"Many musicians presently earn a living through many activities including performing, merchandising, and copyright royalties"

Ive never seen a person give such a massive hole to their own arguments in the first sentence in the first round before..... Im liking this just because the amount of fail that will happen will be entertaining
Posted by 1dustpelt 5 years ago
1dustpelt
lol
Posted by Zaradi 5 years ago
Zaradi
xD If there was a more massive and impossible to really fulfill BOP, I have yet to see it.
Piracy is going on. The music industry is still going, if not getting stronger. xD
Vote Placed by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
TheCoolestPersonEver1dustpeltTied
Reasons for voting decision: the character limit on this must have been frustrating but pro did not meet his burden of proof since there are laws that limit piracy and that there are other means that musicians make money
Vote Placed by drafterman 5 years ago
drafterman
TheCoolestPersonEver1dustpeltTied
Reasons for voting decision: I don't really think that either side put in much effort. Suffice it to say, Pro really didn't do much to meet the BOP necessitated by his resolution.