PillarOfSalt
Ramos-7

If nobody had a religion and every once was an Atheist, would there still be morality to go?

PillarOfSalt

Pro

Although, I'm only posting this so that I may debate, does religion correlate with morality? I won't really defend as I am torn on the subject myself.
Ramos-7

Con

No. Man is imperfect as are animals. We by ourselves are incapable of knowing the difference between good & evil, only a perfect being could do that. People are born neutral (neither good nor evil), they as an infant cannot comprehend either of the two ideas. It is only when we learn that the actions we commit (such as theft) and other crimes are bad because we are taught by society (people around us) or we can learn that by knowing what it means to steal for you and the victim whom you've chosen to take away an object from. In countries in the Middle East centuries ago, you were killed or severely punished and looked down upon for stealing a horse for example. This could be a major problem for the victim because they for all you know could be a poor merchant who needed his horse to travel & do business, if his horse were to be stolen from him while he was by himself in the desert, he could die as a result of losing his horse to you. I might have made the mistake years ago of wishing death upon someone, that is an evil thought because there is absolutely no reason why you should want someone to lose their life, especially when they could become your best ally and help you later in life. So to fully answer your question, Atheism is the belief that there is no God, no perfection, no divinity which means no perfect law and that can make any action justifiable by mere popular opinion. I would much rather be forgiven for stealing or committing a misdeed than being put to death or go through some cruel punishment by a group of people who according to them and their opinion think I might deserve the worst death ever. To prove Objective Moral Values exist (like the existence of Good & Evil), you must first prove that God and a divine/perfect law exists (intolerant of opinion, otherwise known as fact) to really explain morality.
PillarOfSalt

Pro

PillarOfSalt forfeited this round.
Ramos-7

Con

Ramos-7 forfeited this round.
PillarOfSalt

Pro

PillarOfSalt forfeited this round.
Ramos-7

Con

Ramos-7 forfeited this round.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Man does everything he can to wiggle out of responsible behavior.That should be everyone's definition of morality. To be held accountable for decisions made. That is why so many people hate God and his word. He will hold people responsible for their decisions.Now he went one step further. He will forgive any evil decisions and cleanse us from the effects of those choices.One thing he will not do is force anyone to bathe in that forgiveness. You can wear the dirt of your decisions to your grave if you choose to.
Posted by StarHunter 2 years ago
StarHunter
Morality isn't necessarily concerned with religion. Good and evil are extremes. Usually morality is expressed as what's right or wrong. There are all sorts of moral inquiry, like political morality. Religion is just one source of how we as human beings figure right and wrong.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
All through history godlessness has always bred lawlessness.
Posted by Ramos-7 2 years ago
Ramos-7
Next time, please give more time for each side to respond, I had the intention of accepting your challenge, taking a nap then coming back to the topic to debate, but apparently you have the settings set for 3 hours. If I don't respond, I'm offline sleeping.