Natsu145
feerboom14

If religion didn't exist, the earth would be a much better place.

Natsu145 has forfeited round #2.

Natsu145

Pro

For this argument, I'm not going to have any specific rules. My opponent can argue what they want to argue.

I won't list any of my points in the first round, I'll just be doing the introduction as I am now.

My opponent can go ahead and list their arguments in the first round, however. I'll be countering them in the second round.

And with that, let the debate begin.
feerboom14

Con

Before I begin I would like to state my personal religious beliefs as an agnostic (Yes I know that being an agnostic makes you atheist however atheist no longer simply means without religion and people seem to think it is a synonym for anti-theist.)

Arguing against religion is the same thing as arguing against culture itself, there are many bad cultures but at the same time many cultures that have been created to unite a once disunited people in a specific area.

Firstly I would like to being with the historical context of religion and moral beliefs.

Religion although with its many setbacks has been a core foundation on which proper morals and cooperation within groups has been founded on.
For example Christianity in Europe. The tribes of Europe had many different examples on as to what is culturally appropriate, it is inevitable and obvious of the human nature that we create groups to get a sense of "us and them" mindset. Having said that, despite whether or not we had religion in early man there would've still been another factor like religion to divide us. It is just that we are fortunate enough that all of Europe was united under the Christian banner so that it could create an effective brotherhood in Europe, even though they fought amongst each other it was not only frowned upon to assault a fellow christian they all united under the threat of an Islamic invading force invading Iberia and the Balkan territories.

The Catholic Church and scientific advancements

The common myth is that religion, specifically the Catholic church, hindered scientific and philosophical advancements behind by light years. Possibly the strongest case is against religion is Galileo and his theory that the globe revolved around the sun. Galileo was placed under house arrest after being tried for heresy. But even then, events like those were few and in between and the Catholic church was one that enjoyed funding major Universities that produced a lot of scientist and philosophers. Sir Newton, the inventor of calculus was a devout Christian

In essence my main points are:

Religion created a unity for diverse people

Religion (Or at least most major religions followed today) founded a common morality system that established a "You don't harm me I don't harm you" ethic in our society

Religion made the human species more efficient as it organized sets of people together.

*Sorry if this looks bad this is my first debate on Debate.org :^)*
Posted by atjacobmajor 9 months ago
atjacobmajor
You chose the side I wanted :(
Posted by atjacobmajor 9 months ago
atjacobmajor
You chose the side I wanted :(