Flib
NeamoOwl

If someone kills another person in the line of duty do they go to hell?

Flib

Pro

I don't believe in Heaven but I would enjoy having this discussion. In the Bible it says that killing another human is a sin but what if you're protecting other people? An example of this would be a man with a knife trying to kill people. If a police officer shoots him does the police officer commit a sin because he killed someone, or is he sin free because he saved lives. I think that the stance on murder is unwavering, if you kill somebody it's a sin regardless of the circumstances. Anybody who thinks otherwise is welcome to explain this to me.
NeamoOwl

Con

Hello Flib.
I don't think anyone actually know the whole, truthful answer to this, but, as a Christian, I would definitely use repentance as the solution. One may have to kill in order to protect someone weaker. But that applies to serious ask of forgiveness and if it is for a greater cause, God will be merciful enough to forgive his children.

I apologize if my words are incorrect or if it leaves others with irritating disagreements.
Flib

Pro

Flib forfeited this round.
NeamoOwl

Con

NeamoOwl forfeited this round.
Flib

Pro

Flib forfeited this round.
NeamoOwl

Con

NeamoOwl forfeited this round.
Posted by Thejackal 2 years ago
Thejackal
All I can say is "Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all for the glory of God". 1 Corinthians 10:31
Posted by amigodana 2 years ago
amigodana
I am not going to get into some long debate in a comments section. The constitution is the law by which all the people, government included, are subject too in the states. And only by a majority of all the people can it be changed. Therefore it is the agreed upon final authority.

Don't complicate it.
Posted by MattStPaul 2 years ago
MattStPaul
amigodana: I would disagree that the Constitution is the "final authority" and that those three specific authorities I listed are even subject to the Constitution.

The Constitution has no authority. It is just, as you said, a "written document." I would add, it is a "changeable" written document (countless original drafts, 27 Amendments). No one would call a changeable written document a "final authority." The Constitution is merely a tool to preserve the ideas of the American Republic and its institutions. Those three particular institutions I mentioned (the Executive office, the Legislature, and the Judiciary) are subject to the authority of the people. The people authorize and hold accountable those institutions. So, "no," those governing authorities I mentioned are not subject to the authority of the Constitution but rather are subject to the people.

Also, you mentioned the "final authority." Would a "final authority" be a people, people who change, are malleable, who die, who disband? A "final authority" makes me think of the highest court, one where when the gavel is struck the decree becomes immutable, unchangeable. Romans 13 reads, "The powers that be are ordained of God." Because "ordained" refers to enactment, made law, established, it would seem to be Romans 13 says God struck the gavel and ordained the powers. That makes me think He is more like your "final authority" than a changeable people, or their amendable Constitutions "

My wife made a great point about the original debate topic -- "if someone kills another in the line of duty do they go to hell?"

She said: "Killing is not what sends a person to hell. Only one thing sends a person to hell: unatoned for sin. Unless sin is forgiven and atoned for, IT sends that person to hell." I thought that was biblically accurate and a succinct answer to this debate. I John 2; Romans 3; I John 4; Hebrews 2; Ephesians 1.
Posted by Julianacilento 2 years ago
Julianacilento
No, you would not go to hell because killing someone is a sin that can and will be forgiven by God. As long as you repent and your sins are forgiven you will go to heaven. Blasphemy is the only sin that cannot be forgiven.
Posted by amigodana 2 years ago
amigodana
MattStPual; those governing authorities that you listed, are they not subject to the final authority of the Constitution, which is a written document?
Posted by MattStPaul 2 years ago
MattStPaul
I always thought a good answer to this question was Romans 13 and the thought of submitting to our authorities.

There would be no power, according to Romans 13, if God did not ordain it and allow it. He commands people to submit themselves to that governing authority. I always understood this to mean that God put in place rulers: a Congress, perhaps, & an Executive, & Judicial authorities (...just a thought). By submitting to those God-ordained authorities you are obeying God and by going to war (all in obedience to your government) you are fulfilling a duty, even if that includes killing. Plus, Romans 13 says that war is not to terrorize the good, but the evil. Meaning, the purpose of war is to put down evil (dictators, countries, peoples).

So, war (and the associated killings) is not aimless but has a purpose. And governments, who decide when we go to war, are ordained by God. "To every thing there is a season, [even] a time to kill." Ecc 3.1-3.
Posted by Kinryu 2 years ago
Kinryu
It's all about the INTENT. Is your intent to kill for personal gain or pleasure, or to save the life of innocents?
Posted by Kaynex 2 years ago
Kaynex
Here is the bible and ten commandments, as literal as it gets.

Any biblical rules or passages were only meant for "God's people". This included only faithful Israelite people. If you are not one of "God's people", then you are already destined for hell and the bible does not apply/was not meant for you.

Breaking any of the rules means you are no longer one of god's people. In the days of the OT, repentance would not fix this, but after Jesus came along, he promised it would. Still, even in the NT, there is no example of a non-israelite being granted status, despite the fact that non-israelites are present in the book.

Some examples of my point are the fact that Hebrew people can buy slaves freely by Lev 25, but as soon as the Egyptians bought Hebrew slaves, god killed the children of the country, and sent moses to take them back (Who, with those people, committed genocide against several nations, one of which are the Canaanites).

So the question is, are you Israelite by birth and Hebrew by race? If not, then it doesn't matter, you're going to hell anyway.
If you are, then is the person you've killed? If so, then you've broken a commandment, and repentance can fix it. If not, then it doesn't matter, the bible does not condemn their death.
If not, then
Posted by MLG_Pingu 2 years ago
MLG_Pingu
False. In the bible it says MURDER is a sin. Killing someone in the line of duty, isn't considered murder.
Posted by amigodana 2 years ago
amigodana
It is not a sin to protect anothers life.