ProfJacob
Radicality

If someone never pays attention in school, should they have the same proper education as others?

ProfJacob

ProfJacob

Con

Rules

If either Con or Pro fails to comply with the following rules, 7 points will automatically be deducted from the rule-breaker.

1. You may only troll when things get completely out of hand.

2. No plagiarism. In other words, don't copy someone else's work and claim it as your own.

Presentation

If someone is NEVER going to pay attention, what's the point of putting your best effort to educate them? If they start paying attention, then he/she should have proper education. Otherwise, no. However, if he is with a group of people who pay attention, put forth their best efforts, collaborate, scrutinize, etc., the teacher shouldn't let his ignorance affect others.

Radicality

Pro

I'm not entirely sure how you plan on determining whether a student is NEVER going to pay attention; you can't do that. What about those who decide they want to pay attention a great deal later in their education, but have had their prospects shot by your presumptuous label? The removal of educational provisions for those who don't pay attention in school - especially when we're talking about very young children, who have little or no realisation of the importance their education may have to them later - would not benefit anybody. Those children who were fortunate enough to either have a proclivity for academics from a young age, or were conditioned by their parents/guardians into respect for education, would be able to remain educated, while those who may be less academically able - leading to their possible lack of interest, if their teachers do not aid them properly - or, again, are not aware of the probably importance of education, will be grounded without possibility of recovery; the educational equivalent of keeping the rich rich and the poor, poor.

It is the duty of teachers to educate students regardless of ability or will. Certainly, some students will be unwilling to learn to such an extent, that little can be done, but many will appear inattentive as a result of other struggles, perhaps with the subject, perhaps with other things (family life, etc.). It is the duty of teachers and schools to help these students, and hopefully inspire and engage those who are simply uninterested.

Nobody starts out with knowledge. To call these students ignorant is a far more ignorant action. Public education exists to educate everybody, not just those who need it the least.

To condemn students to an uneducated life because they did not have foresight is barbaric and morally decrepit.
ProfJacob

Con

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

Rebuttals

"I'm not entirely sure how you plan on determining whether a student is NEVER going to pay attention; you can't do that"

Like said, if that person starts paying attention, then the professor (Implying that one teaches) should give them the same proper education as others.

"The removal of educational provisions for those who don't pay attention in school - especially when we're talking about very young children, who have little or no realisation of the importance their education may have to them later - would not benefit anybody."

It benefits the professor. In other words, it's to his/her advantage, seeing as, what's the point of putting forth your best effort to educate someone when they don't pay attention, thus not learning? However, if he is with a group of people who pay attention, put forth their best efforts, collaborate, scrutinize (Maybe they feel they have encountered an error based on intelligence/knowledge for understanding), etc., the teacher shouldn't let his ignorance affect others.

"Those children who were fortunate enough to either have a proclivity for academics from a young age, or were conditioned by their parents/guardians into respect for education, would be able to remain educated, while those who may be less academically able - leading to their possible lack of interest, if their teachers do not aid them properly - or, again, are not aware of the probably importance of education, will be grounded without possibility of recovery; the educational equivalent of keeping the rich rich and the poor, poor."

Oh, I should have mentioned this: If the professor has determined that someone doesn't pay attention at all in class, he/she should let him/her realize/notify him/her about why he/she attends school; Not only to make friends, but to learn. But nonetheless, if that hasn't happened yet, there's no point in putting forth your best effort to EDUCATE them!

I won't reply to the rest, seeing as the same is repeated.

I await my opponent's next set of arguments.
Radicality

Pro

Radicality forfeited this round.
ProfJacob

Con

Unfortunately, my opponent forfeited the previous round. I wish he/she will at least reply in the next round.
Radicality

Pro

Radicality forfeited this round.
Radicality

Pro

Radicality forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by whiteflame 3 years ago
whiteflame
ProfJacobRadicalityTied
Reasons for voting decision: It's really too bad because after I saw Pro's first round post, I expected an interesting debate. I could even see simply directions of extension to respond to Con's rebuttal, especially since most of it was a rehash of his first round. Sadly, the forfeits speak for themselves. Without responding as to why Con's argument that, as soon as they start paying attention, all will be well, there's no way I can give it to Pro. Hence the vote. I find that Pro's argument has a gigantic hole, but it's simply never fully exploited.