bobdylan1999
SocialPsyche

If teachers are allowed to strike, should firemen, policemen and paramedics be allowed to strike?

bobdylan1999

Con

Policemen, firemen and paramedics are not allowed to strike because they are providing critical services, yet teachers believe that they reserve the right to strike even though they are public servants, who also provide critical services. I think this is wrong and teachers should be treated in the same manner as others and not allowed to strike.
SocialPsyche

Pro

It sounds like your argument is that since policemen and firemen are not alowed to strike, neither should teahcers, which is confusing based on the debate title. If that is, in fact, your argument, here is my rebuttle: I think it should be the opposite. All government employees, such as teachers, policemen, and firemen, should be allowed to strike, and it is because they serve critical roles in society that if they are receiving an unfair wage or benefits, they should be allowed to protest it. if someone has a critical job in our society, they ought to have a large wage and good job benefits, and if the government doesn't give them these things, they should be able to strike for them.
bobdylan1999

Con

People that chose government jobs knew the conditions they were accepting. If you know of someone who was forced to take this job against their will, please report those instances to authorities. Kidding aside, the rest of us who pay taxes that fund all those services do not have such a privilege, so I do not think teachers should have it either. Or to be fair, then people should have an option to stop paying taxes if the services they are supposed to cover are not being provided. I wonder what your reaction would be if you were admitted to a hospital just to find our that the surgeon cannot operate you as they were on strike. I doubt you would feel it is fair. It is also unfair for the teachers to do that.
SocialPsyche

Pro

Say that wages and conditions were good when the person applied but after some time they got worse. Say the wages and conditions were poor but the person thought it was their moral duty to take up the job. These are things you must consider. America is a country based on freedom, and one of the liberties we have is the ability to protest unfair conditions. Do you think it would be fair if someone who served such an essential role to society as a teacher, fireman, policeman, etc. was paid minimum wage and got no job benefits? Does that seem fair or morally responsible? If that happened to be the case, don't you think that the workers should ab allowed to do something about that? Striking is the best way of doing this, especially if the job is more important. The government should realize that these types of people deserve good pay and benefits, and if they fail to provide those things, they must ackgnowledge the risk of these critical employees of the state striking. Also, have you seen the pay surgeons get? It's unreal. I would wager that surgeons will not ever have to strike about unfair wages or benefits. Same goes for just about any privately run service that is essential to the people of this country.
bobdylan1999

Con

I understand your point, but I do not think we will agree. I have always been on the business side and the only way for me to get a raise was to bring the company a financial benefit that would justify a raise. If that did not work, I had to change the job to find a better one. I really never had an option to strike. I believe in the person's ability to chose a better job if they want one. I agree with the right to strike in principle, but I do not agree with the right of certain government jobs that we fund through our taxes to have a right to strike when people in other professions do not have that right. My son's school has just advised us that they go on strike and now I have to deal with that, so this topic is a bit sensitive for me now. With all due respect to your points, I do not think we will agree, so I will stop my argument now.
SocialPsyche

Pro

I see that this is a bit of a hard issue for you at the moment, so I will make my final statement brief. As a Socialist, I believe that everyone should have at least decent living wages and good benefits for their jobs, so long as they do work. If this is violated by whomever is handing out the paychecks and supplying the benefits, it should be the workers right to protest it through strike, no matter what their job is. It should be the state's job to make sure all wages are automatically high enough that anyone can make a living and that benefits are good enough that if someone could not pay for something like a medical bill, they are covered for the most part. So, I believe that all workers, regardless of job, should be able to strike for better conditions but that the government should make sure that they don't have to, and if they fail to do this, they must accept that people will strike.
Posted by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
Police *can* strike in many places
Posted by ColeTrain 2 years ago
ColeTrain
Once again, this is counter-intuitive. Read your previous instigated debate comment section to understand what I mean.