sloppyjoe97
RandomName

If the freedom of speech law really is in effect inside schools

RandomName

sloppyjoe97

Con

I believe that the freedom of speech laws aren't in effect in schools, we should be able to protest at schools, wear what we want, and say what we want at school. Example is that in the 1960s, there were a group of students at school who started to protest the Vietnam war and were asked to stop and leave the premises. This law is barley in effect in the real world outside of schools and public land too, like during the wall street protesting, the police and SWAT teams arrested up to 100 people for "blocking the bridge" and they had a right to say their own opinion in this so called "Free World".
RandomName

Pro

First I would like to thank you for challenging me to this debate.

Second, I would like to point out that you do not specify what you define "school" as. Are we talking about high schools, colleges, universities, or junior high?

You say that students cannot protest, but there are dozens, if not hundreds, of examples of successful student protests.

There are the East L.A. walkouts in 1968, the Chicano Movement, Walkout in Crystal Lake, the People's Park protest in 1969, Kent State, The Knickerbocker Case, The Colombia Protests of 1968, Wild Lily Movement; the list goes on and on.

You say students cannot wear what they want, but most schools do not have uniforms, leaving the choice of what to you wear mostly up to you. Other than the obvious exclusions of obscenities, which are not even covered by the first amendment.

You say you cannot say what you want but in schools (as far as I know) the teachers do not walk around saying to students; "No your opinions wrong, this is what you are supposed to think, detention for you."

You say you are losing the rights in public land also. But this is because it is PUBLIC land. There are probably children within earshot and if you drop the f-bomb every four seconds and disrupte the peace, you will be escorted off the property. That is the law.
sloppyjoe97

Con

sloppyjoe97 forfeited this round.
RandomName

Pro

I'm unsure of what to post now. I feel I have defended my opinions wholeheartedly during the last round.

Students can protest. It might not end well, but you can.
sloppyjoe97

Con

sloppyjoe97 forfeited this round.
RandomName

Pro

I've said all I need to.

http://oag.org...
Vote Placed by Ron-Paul 5 years ago
Ron-Paul
sloppyjoe97RandomNameTied
Reasons for voting decision: Dude is forfeiting in my debate, so I wanted to give pro the win.