Chaos88
LordRenly

If time travel existed, it would destroy free will

Chaos88

Chaos88

Pro

This is straight forward.

Time travel is the ability to go back and foward in time.
Free will is freedom of humans to make choices that are not determined by prior causes or by divine intervention. (Mirram Webster definition)

Con may start arguments in Round 1.

I am of the opinion that if time travel were possible, it would destroy the ability for humans, or anything, to have free will, as everything would be pre-determined.
LordRenly

Con

Well I think you are assuming that time travel will go in both directions. Maybe we will go backwards only and cannot go forwards. Also, the many-worlds interpretation of quantum physics notes that any time someone make a decision a new world is created, so enter just one possibility for the future and not all possibility.
Chaos88

Pro

Since you are new here, I will point out that you should not try to change the definitions of words that have been defined, unless there is ample reason to do so. In this case, I cited the source for the definition of time travel, plus by defining it, I limited the scope of the debate to only the ability to travel back and forth through time.

The reason for this is limited definition is because one-way time travel will be impossible to observe any effect on free will, as any report will be lost in time (either never reported if traveled to future, and past reports may never be reported). As for many-worlds, it would be statistically impossible to find the same universe that lead to the observations needed to determine the effect on free will. Therefore, the only time travel method we will use is back and forth time travel, which was defined in round one.

The past cannot be changed.
Imagine if I built a time machine, by my own hands, independent of everyone else in the world. Additionally, I never spoke of this to anyone, never told anyone how it works, and never wrote anything down. Could someone go back in time in the very time machine that I invented and kill me to prevent me from building said time machine. Of course, they can't, otherwise, how would the time machine have been built?

Using the same situation as above, if my desire/inspiration to build the time machine was to prevent a loved one's death, then if I were to prevent said death, how would the time machine be built? This is the premise to the movie (and I assume the book) The Time Machine.

Since free will is independent of any cause, anything that is truly of free will will be undetermined until it occurs. However, since the past cannot be changed, any action in the past will determine the future.

But what about the future? The future is just the past from an even further future. So, my actions tomorrow may seem free of cause, but having viewed said actions from a week from now, it is already determined what they will be. Therefore, the future cannot be changed, either.

If nothing can be changed, and all will occur as it has been observed, then there can be no free will.
LordRenly

Con

LordRenly forfeited this round.
Chaos88

Pro

Extend arguments.

I would like to thank LordRenly for wasting my time and trolling on this debate and in the forums. I do hope the Dark Knight didn't decide to turn on him for exposing the truth to us fools...
LordRenly

Con

LordRenly forfeited this round.
Posted by darkcity 4 years ago
darkcity
"Since free will is independent of any cause, anything that is truly of free will will be undetermined until it occurs. However, since the past cannot be changed, any action in the past will determine the future."

I think your idea of free will is flawed. Just because people can effect the future will time travel, doesn't mean everything is controlled from the past. Also the time travel definition is very specific: single universe, backwards and forwards, unlimited.

I am happy to debate this if you like ; -)
Vote Placed by Clash 4 years ago
Clash
Chaos88LordRenlyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit by Con.
Vote Placed by Ron-Paul 4 years ago
Ron-Paul
Chaos88LordRenlyTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.