SANTORUM2012
Travniki

If war were to break through should people be drafted??

Travniki

SANTORUM2012

Con

I am against military drafts being put into place if ever there was a breakthrough. I am up for a challenge.
Travniki

Pro

Pack your bags boys and make sure to bring sunscreen, it's pretty damn hot in Korea'
SANTORUM2012

Con

Being drafted in the united states is wrong and people shouldn't be forced to go and fight. Doesn't that fall along the lines of slavery? Why should one man have to go and fight and risk his life while another man sits around and does nothing. The first amendment to our constitution begins by saying "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. Quakers are people who are strongly against violence...if a Quaker were to be drafted would that not be infringing on his rights?
Travniki

Pro

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to show why Drafting is good, but please note I am not American so I have little knowledge of your constitution; I will look at the larger, moral issues of drafting in any Western Liberal Democracy.

First my Rebuttals:

"Why should one man have to go and fight and risk his life while another man sits around and does nothing"

Actually this is what drafting prevents. It forces all people from all walks of life to participate in the war effort, it exercises the equality your Country is so fond of talking about. Statistically speaking, the army reserves consist of poor uneducated young men-drafting forces all types of people to join the war effort, rich or poor, short or tall, white or black, old or young. Drafting is completely impartial and is therefore an exercise in American freedom, why should just a few young people have to risk their lives for their Country?

"Drafting is Slavery"
I believe that everyone who has the Democratic duty to vote also has the Democratic duty to serve in the armed forces-the problem is that this duty is oft ignored, and drafting is the solution to that problem. I see Western Liberal Democracies as places with complete representation, be it the Parliament/Congress or the army, If people can be forced to attend Jury Duty they can be forced to fight for their country

"Drafting infringes a Quakers rights...."
Drafting is just forcing someone to join the war effort. This does not have to fall under armed conflict. I totally agree we can't make people fight-the army has no place for spineless cowards. Instead, we can draft Quakers and other pacifists into the armenent industry, or other necessary institutions of helping the war effort. The men who make the bullets the soldiers fire are just as patriotic as the soldiers themselves.

So what have we learnt today?
Drafting makes all types of people participate in the war effort and brings complete representation of all classes and races to the army.

Participating in the war effort is a Democratic Duty and must be enforced just like Jury Duty

Cowards need not fear, drafting doesn't stick you on the front line-there is a place for everyone in the American Armed Forces. Pacifists can be telephone operators or something.

Now I have one Contention-it's called the "Totlaer Krieg" or Total War Argument, Its my only constructive material and Ill be getting into it next round.

-Vlad
SANTORUM2012

Con

SANTORUM2012 forfeited this round.
Travniki

Pro

So I bet my opponent was just so into this debate she has been writing for the past two days and forgot to post an argument, I look forward to seeing it!
SANTORUM2012

Con

I FORFEIT, YOU ARE NOT FROM AMERICA THEREFORE UNDERSTAND LITTLE ABOUT THE GOVERNMENT.
Travniki

Pro

I agree entirely, I understand quite little about how the Americans run their government (Although I would say my understanding of Canadian government is quite well since it is similar to my own), but I was arguing how American government ought to be run. You don't need to understand something to debate it, and I looked at the moral, ethical and social duties of someone living in a Western Liberal Democracy.

I would suggest my opponent either does not understand her government or has an unhealthy, zealous attitude towards it, because there was absolutely no reason not to respond to my arguments.

I believe Debate.org is a wonderful resource to meet people from other Nations, and discuss and debate issues with them, so vetoing out of a debate because I "don't understand your government" is frankly quite unnaceptable, and I would be lying if I said I am not somewhat irked. If what you're saying is true you could have taken the opportunity to explain why my arguments were not applicable to the American system, alas you did not.

But please, if what I am saying is wrong, re-educate me

-Vlad
Posted by Deathbeforedishonour 5 years ago
Deathbeforedishonour
Nope,,,,the solution is don't go war :) Peace is can not be obtained by war.
Posted by Travniki 5 years ago
Travniki
Gentlemen, gentlemen, please we all know drafting is the only ethical situation in any war.
Deathbeforedishonour
Agreed.
Posted by lewis20 5 years ago
lewis20
WWIII means the end of the world as we know it, there is no longer need for conscription because of nuclear weapons, the only wars we fight now are to maintain an empire, not to defend our freedom. Oh and also slavery is never justified.
Deathbeforedishonour
We could have avoided WW2 by not taking sides. Iraq was a unjust war. And if we stop medally in other nations bussiness then we can avoid WW3. Armies are ment for defense not offense. If we do get invaded then the people will fight back and we will when. Any country that can't find a lot of voluntary people to defend it does not deserve to exist.
Posted by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
A draft is essential in times of major wars. Like WW2 the draft was necessary. We prepare for the last war we where in: Banning a draft means preparing for another iraq. What if ww3 happens? Prepare for the future. Keep the draft under certain circumstances.
Deathbeforedishonour
We could beet the muslims without conscripting.
Posted by lewis20 5 years ago
lewis20
Better hope Rick Santorum doesn't become president, he'd surely need as many able bodied soldiers as he can get on his crusade against the muslims.
Deathbeforedishonour
Conscription=slavery
Vote Placed by 1dustpelt 5 years ago
1dustpelt
SANTORUM2012TravnikiTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
SANTORUM2012TravnikiTied