If you are Christian by definition you cannot believe in freewill.

Debate Structure:

1st round is acceptance

2nd opening statements

3rd rebuttals

4th closing statements

Resolved: A true Christian cannot, as implied in ones belief, believe that individuals have free will.

Freewill: The power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate; the ability to act at one's own discretion.

Christian: Following Christian teachings. I.E. your god is a personal god (Joshua 3:10)

The Christian god possesses all three qualities: Omnipresence (Psalm 139:7–10), Omnipotence (Revelation 19:6) and Omniscience (Psalm 44:21).

**These are not the only verses to that the bible claims god has these qualities, just the ones off the top of my head. I feel there will be no argument on this point but just in case I cited.**

As I am making the claims that if you hold to Christian beliefs you cannot believe in free will, I hold the burden to prove that. I realize that you may actually believe in free will. My goal is NOT to show that you do not believe we have free will, but to show that Christian beliefs by nature do not allow you to believe it.

I accapt this debate.

It's worth quoting just once though in a debate with a title like this Martin Luther who said "In non-essentials, Liberty. In essentials, Unity. In all things Charity."

this topic does not qualify as an essential doctrine, and thus all christians accapt each other as fellow christians even if we disagree on the topic of Free Will. what makes us reject that another person is a fellow christian is if they deviate in an essential doctrine like instead of saying Jesus is the son of God if they say he was instead Michal the Archangel, or if they say the power of the Jesus sacrifice was not enough to save us from our sins, but we have to earn our way in to Heaven to some degree.

Pro would have to establish that doctrine about Free Will is essential to truely uphold the resolution, however thanks to his clarifying remarks it's clear he doesnt want to argue it really means your not a christian brother if you believe in free will, he just wants to make a case that from our doctrine Free Will is not logical. and I will hold that debate with him just as well as the other.

I look foward to my opponents opening round.

jackintosh forfeited this round.

well if you dont want to play than I dont guess I do either.

I'm sorry had a few unexpected personal issues i had to see to this past weekend. Could we possibly schedule a rematch?

Sure, challenge me when your ready, and just post a link to this debate to re-intraduce the rules so in your rematch challenge you can start out with your opening arguments in the first round.

jackintosh forfeited this round.

to keep this debate from having absolutely no content at all................

enough said. I win.
Vote Placed by GOP 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited.