zsto2310
TheBajanConnection

If you are not a Christian, do you think someone can be moral without believing in God?

zsto2310

Pro

I think that morals come from God and I'm a Christian so I'm not sure where non- Christian get their morals from? I'm doing this for a project for class.
TheBajanConnection

Con

Hey good day to you! I take the position of the Agnostic Atheist and I completely agree with the idea that people can me moral without believing in god or any Deity(s) for that matter. I am eager for a high minded debate!
zsto2310

Pro

So where do your sense of morals come from? Do you go by what society say is right or wrong? For example the Bible say, "thou shall not kill" and society say that killing is wrong, because you will go to jail if you do this. What society believes aligns with biblical truth. So if you deny God's existence, then do you follow some type of rule? who makes this rule up?
TheBajanConnection

Con

TheBajanConnection forfeited this round.
zsto2310

Pro

zsto2310 forfeited this round.
TheBajanConnection

Con

zsto2310

Pro

zsto2310 forfeited this round.
TheBajanConnection

Con

zsto2310

Pro

zsto2310 forfeited this round.
TheBajanConnection

Con

Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
Many of the things that we take for granted today have in fact been `uncovered' by way of a combination of struggle and reason. Slavery for example is wrong today as it has always been wrong (even in ancient Rome). Racism is wrong but this moral understanding was only uncovered in the 20th Century (through struggle and reason) although it has always been wrong. Homophobia is wrong but the battle still rages on this front (especially with the theists) but need I say, it has always been wrong. Likewise the equality of women which still rages in many parts of the theist world. The more you know the less you believe.
Posted by r3nd3n 2 years ago
r3nd3n
@ zsto2310, I am an atheist and I would have to say my moral values are based on my feelings from empathy and sympathy along with what I find most beneficial to the world. Although some morals are fairly universal like murder. Individual morals differ greatly. Examples: I find it morally wrong to deny gays the right to marry because I sympathizes with their experiences of discrimination and their desire to have equal rights. While most religious people find it morally wrong because of religious teachings they believe is not beneficial to the world. Many vegetarians find it morally wrong to harm another animal in any way. I believe that is because they because they formed that moral value from the sympathy they feel for that animal. Other people find it morally exceptionable to kill animals for food and do chemical testing on them because they find it beneficial to mankind. I believe that moral values people base on sympathy and empathy come from the the right supramarginal gyrus part of brain. If that regain of the brain isn't working properly a persons morals may differ drastically from what is usually morally universal. Example: Many serial killers are considered to be psychopaths, because they lack empathy they don't find it personally morally wrong to kill even though they recognize it is socially unexceptable. Personal gains also influence personal morals but I cant get into all of that because I'm running out of characters. These links might help you with your research http://www.mpg.de... http://www.parentingscience.com... I'm also including this documentary because it helps explain why people sometimes go against what they would normally find morally wrong. https://www.youtube.com...
Posted by Bubbagump282 2 years ago
Bubbagump282
"I think that morals come from God and I'm a Christian so I'm not sure where non- Christian get their morals from? I'm doing this for a project for class."
"... non- Christians get their morals from?"
You just stated that you know non-Christians have morals, defeating yourself.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
neoman.... You ARE influenced by religion. Our form of government was greatly influenced by Judeo-Christian concepts, whether you want to believe it or not. Now you have denied it, and would fit in perfectly in a godless totalitarian regime.But the fact you can walk down the street in relative safety is a monument to religion being a part of our culture. Unless you live in a gun free zone. Then your risk skyrockets.
Posted by AJC 2 years ago
AJC
What is morally right and wrong is a fluid concept. If our morals did come from a god (they almost definitely don't as there is no good reason to believe he exists) then he has changed his mind considerably over the years! Morals will continue to change over time as our knowledge and understanding grows. We can rationally debate what is morally right and wrong.
Posted by Dheu 2 years ago
Dheu
I am not religious, and I know not to kill anyone.
Posted by Mr.Lee 2 years ago
Mr.Lee
I am religious, and I will have to say, yes, you can have morals without God.
Posted by Neoman 2 years ago
Neoman
@cheyennebodie I simply cannot be influenced by any religion. Yet i dont even have a parking ticket.
You can still be a "goody two shoes" without accepting any religion. I assure you.
Posted by kingcripple 2 years ago
kingcripple
omar1456878- "depends on how you define moral". Great. Morals are NOT relative.

The answer to the question the debate asks, "Can you be moral without believing in God?" is answered simply as "Yes". The problem is Atheists can be moral but are unwise to acknowledge that morals come from God. The actions deemed moral now become fruitless.
Posted by omar1456878 2 years ago
omar1456878
Depends on how you define moral. I define a moral person as one who doesn't cheat, steal, murder, or rape. A moral person is one who works hard and doesn't cut any corners. By my definition, I strongly believe an atheist can be moral. Religions teach morals and embed them in our thoughts, but they aren't the only way to gain morality. Parents, peers, and society can easily embed morals in our thoughts, and they do it in a more subliminal fashion than religions. Peers are so important, because they completely change who you are. If you hang out with people who smoke pot, chances are higher that you'll smoke pot. If you hang out with morally sound people, chances are you will become a morally sound person. Religion helps, but there are other ways to gain morals. The power of association is huge and it shapes every person on this earth.