Devonne
JayConar

If you are prolife (Abortion) then wouldn't you be against the dealth penalty? Pro(Agr) Con(Disag)

JayConar

Devonne

Pro

If one claims to be pro-life in terms with Abortion then wouldn't you be pro life for everything (i.e. death penalty)?
When asked a question about Abortion, which I am against, I considered that I was pro life, but when I thought in depth of what it means to be pro life I thought: Would I be against the death penalty also, since it's the act or killing a human for a crime they've committed (not word-by-word definition)?
JayConar

Con

This is actually a very interesting question, but I do believe I can argue against it.

This question is about context, as well as net gain.

If you are pro-life in the context of the abortion debate, you believe that life should not be taken away from an individual who has not actually done anything so far except for exist, you believe they should be given a chance at life.

In the context of the death penalty, people who are pro-death penalty tend to come at it in two ways, either they are for it because they believe in retribution, in which case they may well be for abortion too as the two are not interlinked, or they are for it because they believe that a killer would, if ever released or somehow got free, kill again. Therefore they are pro-death penalty because there is a net gain of life as killing that individual would stop a number of other people from being killed by that person. Therefore, you can be pro-death penalty whilst being pro-life. Sorry if I've been confusing, I will clarify if needs be.
Devonne

Pro

Devonne forfeited this round.
JayConar

Con

Forfeit. Points to con.
Devonne

Pro

Devonne forfeited this round.
JayConar

Con

If there is a lesson to be learnt here, it is that forfeiting is silly.
Posted by JayConar 2 years ago
JayConar
That doesn't answer the question either. If you claim that abortion is wrong because life should be allowed to flourish no matter what (pro-life) then saying that the man has done wrong should not convince you that he should die. Because you are prolife. You are not thinking about what you are being asked, you are just letting words come out of your mouth.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
The baby has done no wrong. It is a victim of circumstance. Its mother just so happens to be in a bad mood.

The man on death row has caused his own problems. If you cannot see the difference, you are not looking.
Posted by JayConar 2 years ago
JayConar
That doesn't answer the question.
Posted by NaturalFlavors 2 years ago
NaturalFlavors
A baby that is aborted has done no wrong, a person who "is on death row" has been tried before a jury and a judge and found guilty.
Vote Placed by Tweka 2 years ago
Tweka
DevonneJayConarTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by Atheist-Independent 2 years ago
Atheist-Independent
DevonneJayConarTied
Reasons for voting decision: Despite an intriguing topic, Pro failed to post an argument after Round 1, therefore Con is granted the debate by default.