mbelliardo
zach.feldman104

If you could create 10 laws for the US to reduce crime, what would they be and why will they work.

mbelliardo

Pro

Pro/Con sides do not matter
The Constitution does not apply
Votes go to the person that makes a more convincing argument as to why and how their proposed laws would more greatly reduce crime than the other persons 10 laws.
zach.feldman104

Con

First, I would like to thank the instigator for creating this debate, and I look forward to an interesting dialogue.

I will begin my arguments by saying that one of the most effective ways of reducing crime in the US is by de-penalizing certain substances/activities that are currently illegal. Not only will this technique help cut back on the crime associated with those illegal substances, but it will also provide a potential source for tax revenue, which can be absorbed by the US government to help balance the budget (which should be, in my opinion, the biggest priority of the US).

1. All forms of marijuana should be legalized in CERTAIN states where there is a substantial amount of cases for this law to make a difference. In addition, there should be a high tax rate (around 30-40%) placed onto each purchase of marijuana. Ideally, the high tax will provide a disincentive to use the drug, and this will prevent new users from entering the market (existing users who are addicted will not stop buying, no matter how high the price).

2. All guns would be made legal in every state, and this would help law abiding citizens obtain guns that can then be used to battle criminals who depend on guns that are bought illegally or without a license. Once again, the economic affect of this law will be tremendous: a smaller dependency on the police would mean a smaller police force altogether (especially in areas where there are high gun crime rates), and a smaller police force means less government spending.

3. All homes will be required to have a responsive security alarm system. Residents who live in areas that have, on average, a lower income per person will be eligible to receive a discount for their security system.

That is all I have thus far, but I will present more proposals in the next round.
mbelliardo

Pro

Well, I'm going to go ahead and say you win. You took my ideas! Haha
zach.feldman104

Con

zach.feldman104 forfeited this round.
mbelliardo

Pro

mbelliardo forfeited this round.
zach.feldman104

Con

zach.feldman104 forfeited this round.
Posted by Heineken 4 years ago
Heineken
This is a forum topic (and a good one at that). I would create this under polticis. I'm sure it would take off.
Posted by mbelliardo 4 years ago
mbelliardo
Just read what I wrote for Round 1
Posted by Inquisitive 4 years ago
Inquisitive
If there is a con who can win this I will really bow down to them.