Amphia
TimeTurtle

If you discover a unicorn, you should give it to science

TimeTurtle has forfeited round #2.

Amphia

Con

Here is the scenario:

You are walking in the forest and discover a magic unicorn. Legend is that it has the power to cure cancer. Should you give it to science?

No...leave the dang thing alone. Who knows what the scientists will do with it?

I promise this is a joke, anyone want to debate with me?
TimeTurtle

Pro

I think you should give it to the scientist and this is why. Biologist job is to learn about animals. If you give the biologist sometime. They could figure out what they eat, where they live and how to find more. Also, if it is the last one we would be saving the species.

Lastly from what I've seen of unicorns in media, their magical. You would be giving magic to the world. And a whole entire new study would come up; Magicology. With magic we might be able to give food and water to people.
Amphia

Con

"I think you should give it to the scientist and this is why. Biologist job is to learn about animals. If you give the biologist sometime. They could figure out what they eat, where they live and how to find more."

If we gave the unicorn to science, they are likely to figure out what is eats, where it lives, and maybe where to find more. But that is not all they will do. They will poke and prod the creature to find the properties that cure cancer. Conducting experiments with the sole purpose of discovering more, regardless of whether the animal feels pain or not. And even if they do treat humanely, let's say it does cure cancer. Now what? Now they hike the prices of the cure to become rich quick. Just look at chemotherapy (it's so expensive). Look at what Martin Shkreli did. Jonas Salk was just a nice dude, most people will make it incredibly expensive. And then we will be worse off because people will die from cancer even if there is a cure.

"Also, if it is the last one we would be saving the species." If it is the last, we would not be saving the species. There is only one left, who will it mate with?

"Lastly from what I've seen of unicorns in media, their magical. You would be giving magic to the world. And a whole entire new study would come up; Magicology. With magic we might be able to give food and water to people."

Of course magic could be used for good but people will also use it for bad. With technology, there are benefits but tons of costs. Adding magic into the mix has more costs than benefits. Criminals learning magic for their own good. Think of a Magic Mafia. Or a Magic North Korea. Think of World War 3 but with magic instead. Doesn't sound too fun does it?

The best thing to do is to let the unicorn go. It avoids mistreatment and world war 3 with magic!
Posted by TimeTurtle 5 months ago
TimeTurtle
This is my first debate up on here and I just had to go for the weird one. lol
Posted by Amphia 5 months ago
Amphia
@philochristos2

yeah, you're right. I'll change that.
Posted by philochristos 5 months ago
philochristos
If you're saying, "No," then shouldn't you be Con?
Posted by SupaDudz 5 months ago
SupaDudz
it's my sh*t now b*tch. f*ck science