ctiako
Fkkize

If you do not believe in god (atheist/agnostic), you are automatically a Nihilist.

Fkkize

ctiako

Pro

This round is for acceptance.
R1, Acceptance
R2, Pro: Main Points Con:Cross-Examination
R3, Con: Rebuttal and Constructive Pro:Cross-Examination
R4, Pro: Rebuttal and Constructive Con: Rebuttal
R5: Con: Closing Statement Pro: Closing Statement.
Fkkize

Con

ctiako

Pro

ctiako forfeited this round.
Fkkize

Con

Welcome people of DDO!
In this round I am supposed to cross-examine PRO's points. However he has not made any, since he forfeited.

Therefore I'll provide some definition and make clear for my opponent what he has to establish to win.

Atheist - Some who lacks the belief in any god/ believes there are no gods.
Agnostic - Someone who does not know/ asserts we cannot know whether there are any gods.

It is important to note that there is not just one kind of nihilism, but I suppose PRO means moral nihilism, existential nihilism or both.

Moral Nihilism - The position that there is nothing in virtue of which moral propositions could be true.
Existential Nihilism - The position that there is no meaning to life.

I am an atheist of the latter kind and I believe both that there is meaning to life and that some acts are objectively right /wrong.

To win, my opponent needs to show how exactly

1) I don't actually believe these things
2) being an atheist made me not believe them
3) this applies to all other atheists as well

I wish him good luck with that.
ctiako

Pro

ctiako forfeited this round.
ctiako

Pro

ctiako forfeited this round.
ctiako

Pro

ctiako forfeited this round.
Fkkize

Con

lesson learned...
Posted by CaptainScarlet 12 months ago
CaptainScarlet
I think a debate like this it makes the classical mistake (like that of pre-suppositionalism) of lumping all atheists into one skeptical giant worldview. Then try and turn a skeptical screw back on to the atheist.

However, this approach does not work with atheistic philosophy which rejects skepticism, such as mine. It cannot account for atheists who are able to make objective truth claims based on their positive foundation (not based on god-talk, but on other properly basic beliefs or axioms).

For example whether you agree or not, I adhere more closely to Naturalism and Objectivism in order to form my worldview. Pro would need to prove that all atheists, including those like me are secretly crypto-nihilists or rely on nihilism. So this seems trivially easy to rebut. I am not a Nihilist and my worldview totally rejects and rebuts Nihilism, but I am still an atheist (in the strong sense).
Posted by SNP1 12 months ago
SNP1
I hope ctiako doesn't FF...
Posted by Stonehe4rt 12 months ago
Stonehe4rt
I wouldnt go as far to say Atheist are Nilhistic, But if you consider yourself an Atheist who says a God COULD be true, then your actually an Agnostic..... Sure you may lean one way or the other, but a true Atheist is believing God doesnt exist, thats it plan and simple. Really an Agnotic is the inbetween of an Atheist and Religous, while an Atheist is inbetween an Agnostic and Nihilist. Really Atheist is like the I am pretty pretty sure that God doesnt exist? But on the 1% im wrong, its ok cause i claimed Atheist not Nihilist... So really should Atheism even be a thing if people are saying that Atheist believe their could be a God?

Base Line is: If your gonna say your Atheist and God doesnt exist, and you try to say this as fact, your Nihilist, If you say God COULD exist but arent sure, your Agnostic. Its that simple, it just depends on the persons definition of Atheist. But in reality there is no "Atheist" Only Agnostic or Nihilist.
Posted by Lisen2Reason 12 months ago
Lisen2Reason
Atheism isn't the belief of nothing like a Nihilist atheism is a belief that we weren't created by an all knowing creator atheist look deeper into it rather than saying oh the bible said so it must be true. No thats just ignorant atheist generally believe that we came to be by more rational means that can be back with evidence and years of research and now that might not be all atheist some people are atheist because something tragic could have happend to them to lose their faith or something like that. And people who are agnostic are not Nihilists either they are people who generally believe that there is a god but are skeptical of its existence.
Posted by SNP1 12 months ago
SNP1
Look, the retard VR is here.

I'm sorry, I just insulted all retards. I know you guys are a million times better than VR.
Posted by ViceRegent 12 months ago
ViceRegent
If you are a consistent atheist, you are a nihilist. But atheists are rarely consistent. And this is ok, for if atheism is true, there is nothing wrong with being inconsistent. Indeed, as a determinist machine, you cannot help anything that you are.
Posted by JayShay 12 months ago
JayShay
I recommend you provide a definition of nihilist. Also many people are agnostic and believe in god(s).
Vote Placed by tejretics 11 months ago
tejretics
ctiakoFkkizeTied
Reasons for voting decision: If God does not exist how do meteors land in craters? checkmate atheists
Vote Placed by famousdebater 11 months ago
famousdebater
ctiakoFkkizeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had the burden of proof and provided no arguments at all thus I automatically vote Con on the arguments points due to the evident lack of arguments. Conduct goes to Con as well due to the forfeitures of every single round apart from R1 which was just the debate structure (no arguments were presented).