LukeBithell
martianshark

If you follow the teachings of the Bible then you should not be gay.

LukeBithell

Pro

The title says it all. First round is acceptance, then the argument followed by the final decision.
martianshark

Con

LukeBithell

Pro

Thanks and good luck.
To start I will quote the Bible: Lev. 18:22, "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination."
From reading that quite I'm sure you agree that it is quite clear that it is not ok to be gay if you follow the teachings of the Bible.

Another one from Leviticus is 20:13, "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltness is upon them"
Both of those quotes from the Bible make it quite clear, however they are only from one part so maybe Leviticus was biased for some reason.

Or not: Cor. 6:9-10, "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

Again it is mentioned, this time in 1 Cor. 6:9-10, "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God."
So far it is quite clear that if you follow the teachings of the Bible then you should not be gay as it is a sin.
One more quote: Rom. 1:26-28, "For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, 27and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error. 28And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper."
I haven't said much myself as I really do feel that the quotes speak for themselves!

The Bible mentions homosexuality several times and each time it clearly states that it is a disgrace and sin, therefore you would not be following the teachings of the Bible if you were a homosexual.
(just to say that I am not against homosexuals in any way, it just seemed like an interesting topic for debate)
martianshark

Con

Thank you for debating with me.

The resolution is pretty clear. By gay, Pro obviously means homosexual, which is defined as a person who is sexually attracted to members of the same gender. [1] Pro probably didn't mean that you shouldn't be happy.

My stance, of course, is that you can be gay while following the teachings of the Bible.

--Rebuttal--
Pro's argument is 90% Bible quotes. Notice that all of the quotes are about homosexual actions. There is a difference between the state of being gay, and having gay relationships. The Bible never says that being gay itself is wrong, but that gay actions are wrong. This, by the way, makes sense since the Bible already bans fornication. Why should gay relationships be allowed when fornication is not?

It is impossible to change your feelings toward the same sex (except perhaps through counseling). But being gay does not mean you are required to act on those feelings. Whether the individual likes it or not, it is possible to be gay while simultaneously being loyal to the Bible.

That is all I have to say at this point. Two paragraphs is all that was necessary to rebut Pro's Bible quotes. The Bible never says that the state of being gay is a disgrace or a sin - just that gay relationships are wrong. I look forward to my opponent's arguments.

[1] http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
LukeBithell

Pro

LukeBithell forfeited this round.
martianshark

Con

Vote con.