brian_eggleston
LR4N6FTW4EVA

If your mum asks Mr. Glitter to be your babysitter, hit her!

brian_eggleston

Pro

At time of writing, former glam-rock star, Gary "Do you want to be in my cell, my cell, oh yeah" Glitter, is on his way to Hong Kong from Bangkok, having been deported from Vietnam after serving two years and nine months in prison for molesting little girls.

http://edition.cnn.com...

He didn't want to get his connecting flight back to London because he suspected (probably rightly) that there will be a mob of outraged people - all baying for his blood - waiting for him at Heathrow.

However, he'll have to come back eventually. No doubt the furore will die down after time and Mr. Glitter will assimilate back into society. That said, with his reputation in tatters, he would find it hard to get a job in the music business and will probably be forced to take on low paid work, possibly as a casual child-minder.

Now Glitter is a convicted paedophile and, on the face of it, he would not seem to be the ideal candidate for a babysitting vacancy. However, there is a shortage of child-minders and it is important for parents to have a night out without the kids once in a while.

If you had a couple of daughters and put an advert in the local paper for a regular babysitter and the only applicant for the job was the kiddy-fiddling former Glitter Band front man, would you employ him?

As the job would be cash in hand the authorities need not be involved in the arrangement in any way so we should assume that his new job would not attract any unwanted (from his point of view) attention.

Nevertheless, I can't help feeling that if I left two pre-pubescent girls alone in the same house as a renowned sex-pest, I would be failing in my duty to them as a responsible parent and that the thought of this might put me off my meal.

For this reason, I would not employ Mister Glitter as a babysitter. Indeed, I think I'd sooner leave the girls round Gerry and Kate McCann's house!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk...

Therefore, I affirm that any children whose mother expresses her intention to get Gary Glitter round to look after them while she goes out for the night are justified in violently resisting the plan.
LR4N6FTW4EVA

Con

I will make my case, then refute yours.

I have two contentions.

Contention 1: Hitting my mother would not be an appropriate response to this situation. Instead, I should explain to my mother why this man should not babysit me. By doing so, I would be making sure that this man does not babysit my siblings, any of my mother's acquaintances' children, or a hypothetical second family that my mother could be raising. Hitting her would not produce this result.

Contention 2: Mr. Glitter molests little girls, I am a little boy. Mr. Glitter is not attracted to me, and would not molest me, and his stint as my babysitter would be rather uneventful. While I would rather him not babysit little girls, I am not a little girl, so I am not in danger.

Your case: "Now Glitter is a convicted paedophile and, on the face of it, he would not seem to be the ideal candidate for a babysitting vacancy. However, there is a shortage of child-minders and it is important for parents to have a night out without the kids once in a while."

This is yet another argument for my side. If Mr. Glitter is the only candidate for babysitting, who am I to deprive my parents of the opportunity to eat.

"Nevertheless, I can't help feeling that if I left two pre-pubescent girls alone in the same house as a renowned sex-pest, I would be failing in my duty to them as a responsible parent and that the thought of this might put me off my meal."

I am not a pre-pubescent girl, therefore, I have nothing to worry about, and neither do my parents.

"Therefore, I affirm that any children whose mother expresses her intention to get Gary Glitter round to look after them while she goes out for the night are justified in violently resisting the plan."

This is not a good plan, as parents with boys need not be afraid. I would however agree that leaving little girls with a little girl fanatic is not a good plan, but it is fine to leave little boys, therefore, I negate.
brian_eggleston

Pro

Well. I thought my argument was irrefutable, but it appears my opponent has found not one, but two objections! I ‘m surprised and impressed, LR4N6FTW4EVA, thanks for joining the debate!

My opponent's first contention was that instead of resorting to violence, he would just politely explain to his mother that, in his considered opinion, Gary Glitter represents an unsuitable candidate for the position of babysitter, and that former pop idol paedophiles shouldn't be allowed to look after him, his siblings, or any of the sons or daughters of any other families that his mother may or may not be raising on the sly.

Reading between the lines, it would appear that my opponent has benefited from a respectable upbringing and that his mother would listen sympathetically to such a request from her son.

However, not every child is so lucky. Many mothers are either alcoholics or drug abusers or both and have to go out on the game every night to earn the money to feed their addictions. For them, they may feel that they have no choice but to employ Mr. Glitter if nobody else was available. In these cases, giving a mum a slap might be the only way to bring an ultra-thirsty, drug-crazed matriarch round to her senses.

My opponent's second contention was that, as a boy, he would be in no danger from Mr. Glitter in the capacity of freelance babysitter, as the disgraced former pop star only has a predilection for girls, and he wrote:

"I am not a pre-pubescent girl, therefore, I have nothing to worry about, and neither do my parents."

Aha! That's just where my opponent is wrong! Most babysitters invite their friends round to the house to keep them company. But who would be Gary Glitter's friend? Nobody, except another former pop star who has been accused of molesting children – like MICHAEL JACKSON! He (allegedly) is only interested in boys, so my opponent could be in really deep trouble after all!

I await my opponent's response.
LR4N6FTW4EVA

Con

"However, not every child is so lucky. Many mothers are either alcoholics or drug abusers or both and have to go out on the game every night to earn the money to feed their addictions. For them, they may feel that they have no choice but to employ Mr. Glitter if nobody else was available. In these cases, giving a mum a slap might be the only way to bring an ultra-thirsty, drug-crazed matriarch round to her senses."

But, an even better solution in that situation would be to simply get my mother so drunk and stoned that she couldn't leave the house. If I do this, I have insured that I will not get Mr. Glitter or any other creepy person as my babysitter. This is of course the superior solution, as it makes my drug-crazed alcoholic mother and me happy.

"Aha! That's just where my opponent is wrong! Most babysitters invite their friends round to the house to keep them company. But who would be Gary Glitter's friend? Nobody, except another former pop star who has been accused of molesting children – like MICHAEL JACKSON! He (allegedly) is only interested in boys, so my opponent could be in really deep trouble after all!"

Oh damn!
Posted by DarkBitch 9 years ago
DarkBitch
I find this whole thing distasteful.
Posted by gahbage 9 years ago
gahbage
I need to watch this.

Character limit does 25 damage!
Posted by brian_eggleston 9 years ago
brian_eggleston
Oh, and also to have a dig at Kate and Gerry McCann, PoeJoe.

And Logical Master, you are repeating yourself again. You did that earlier on. Same excuse I guess? (!)
Posted by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
Easiest debate ever. Just argue to take her down through non violent means, such as making use of a tranquilizer dart or anything else which can subdue an individual without there being any violence involved.
Posted by brian_eggleston 9 years ago
brian_eggleston
I suppose you are right, PoeJoe, I suppose it was just an excuse to rhyme "Glitter" with "babysitter" and "hit her"! But it is a top news story today!
Posted by PoeJoe 9 years ago
PoeJoe
The violence part is partially arguable, but really--who's going to argue against this?
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
brian_egglestonLR4N6FTW4EVATied
Vote Placed by Sweatingjojo 9 years ago
Sweatingjojo
brian_egglestonLR4N6FTW4EVATied
Vote Placed by Rezzealaux 9 years ago
Rezzealaux
brian_egglestonLR4N6FTW4EVATied
Vote Placed by PoeJoe 9 years ago
PoeJoe
brian_egglestonLR4N6FTW4EVATied
Vote Placed by Katie01 9 years ago
Katie01
brian_egglestonLR4N6FTW4EVATied
Vote Placed by Derek.Gunn 9 years ago
Derek.Gunn
brian_egglestonLR4N6FTW4EVATied
Vote Placed by bthr004 9 years ago
bthr004
brian_egglestonLR4N6FTW4EVATied
Vote Placed by brian_eggleston 9 years ago
brian_eggleston
brian_egglestonLR4N6FTW4EVATied
Vote Placed by gahbage 9 years ago
gahbage
brian_egglestonLR4N6FTW4EVATied