studentathletechristian8
BishMasterJr

Ignorance is bliss

Con Tied Pro

studentathletechristian8

Con

I shall present the negation to the resolution, "Ignorance is bliss."

ignorance-the state or fact of being ignorant; lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc.
(http://dictionary.reference.com...)

bliss-supreme happiness; utter joy or contentment
(http://dictionary.reference.com...

I believe "Ignorance is bliss" is a quote from Ray Bradbury's novel, Fahrenheit 451.

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate in advance. I would like my opponent to tell me if I have misused any definitions or if he/she would like to add some definitions or guidelines. Thank you.
BishMasterJr

Pro

I will be taking the "Pro" side of the resolution that is RESOLVED: Ignorance is Bliss. Please notify me if there is any misunderstanding of this issue. However, given the simplicity, yet completely debatable, topic, I don't see how there could be any such confusion.

I will be following a rather standard and easy to follow format. Three points of analysis to begin with. I will clearly point out what point I am attacking when I make my rebuttals, and I would ask my opponent does the same in order for voting from viewers to be easier.

For the people that do not wish to read the entire thing, for it is somewhat lengthy, here is a simple road map of what is soon to be said. In my first point, I will generalize all ignorant into a single group, and show that a daily life produces more good than evil. Secondly, I will focus on the subject of children, who are the closest natural example to ignorance, and show that they have more pleasure than pain. Lastly, I will focus on a smaller group of people, medical patients. And show how 1st: when put to sleep for a surgery, a complete state of ignorance, they are in bliss and 2nd: they would freely choose being ignorant.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Debate Parameters: I am in agreement with the Affirmative in all the prearranged debate parameters.
Definition: I am in agreement with the Affirmative on all Definitions that he has offered.

Point of Analysis ONE: Generalization of Ignorance

A. First off, I will be taking the generalized stance of all that are ignorant, classifying them into a single group (My next two points of analysis will contain specific examples) We must go through a process of elimination. To simplify the debate, I will assume that only two feelings are possible: pleasure and pain. Thus, in order to prove my side, I must show that the ignorant feel pleasure more often than pain.

C. The Ignorant know no evil. They know no pain. Since they know no information, they cannot know anything about the evil beyond their own area. Take a look at the average day in an average life. Take a look at even your own life. Ignoring any past days. Ignoring any future possibilities. Ignoring anything beyond your immediate surroundings. Measure the value of the day on which you are reading this. If you had a bad day, I urge you to vote against me. But, if your immediate surroundings gave you a good day, if only basic senses have lead you to a good feeling when you lay down at the end of the day, you surely have to vote in affirmation. Please, only vote on this principle if you can actually and successfully put your mind into a state of ignorance. All in all, most people, within their own lives in a state of ignorance, would show more pleasure than pain. If it was the opposite, would we be where we are today? If human felt more pain than pleasure, how could our species ever survive as a whole? Obviously the fact that we are here shows that we, on average, show more pleasure than pain. It must also be noted, that I will be assuming that a person has to be in one state or the other. There is no middle ground. The issue is black in white; they are in bliss, or they are not.

Point of Analysis TWO: Children (Example One)

A. Children are of course, ignorant. They know nothing of physics or engines beyond the facts that they can move forward, and that they have some number of fingers. So for this point, I will be talking purely about children since they are as close to a truly ignorant person as nature can come to naturally. A child knows not of world hunger; knows not of the many poor; knows not of the evil Earth has sadly been cursed to have upon her. For most of their childhood lives, they are ignorant. And at the same time, they are happy. How can this be? Simple seeing a coincidence such as this however, does not guarantee a correlation however.

B. Looking back to the first point of analysis, we see that an ignorant person, in this case, a child, can only know their immediate surroundings. Look at the life of a child. How often do they get in fights? How often are they angry with anything? Rarely... through a process of elimination, only the result that most of the time they are in a good mood can be discovered. Since they know nothing beyond their own surroundings, and since their own surroundings are on average a good day (People always providing for them, thus they feel little pain since they never have to do something for someone else); only one solution can be reaches. The ignorance of childhood, is indeed bliss. Just look at an average toddler for your empirical proof.

Point of Analysis Three: Medical Patients (second example)

A. Imagine the life of a medical patient. In serious surgery, the patient would feel excruciating pain, if not death. That is, in no way, shape, or form, a state of bliss. However, apply medicine, and the person feels nothing. They become ignorant.

B. How can this state of ignorance be anything but bliss? They feel no pain. All they can possibly have is their own thoughts, their own mind - total peace. In this state of ignorance, one is at complete peace with the world. Nothing at all is wrong. Through a simple process of elimination, only one result can occur then. If they know no pain, then they must be in a state of pleasure.

C. How can one argue against the idea that a medical patient: when put to sleep for surgery, when numbed before a shot, when given a lolly pop to distract them; how can one argue that that isn't a state of bliss? One cannot. This is one state of ignorance where the patient truly is, for they have to be, in a complete state of bliss.

D. Lastly, as I stated, a patient would even choose a state of bliss. This point can be summed up rather quickly. When was the last time you heard of someone going through heart surgery that asked not to be put to sleep? Case in point...

Looking back, you will realize the format, to be summarized in a broad sense is as follows.
One: The Daily life of one that is ignorant is good
Two: People whom are ignorant experience more pleasure than pain
Three: People, in some situations, would even choose to be ignorant because they know of the advantages it provides.

All in all, the three point of analysis I have put forward: one, generalization of ignorance, and showing that an ignorant person feels more pleasure than pain; two, showing that children, the natural example of ignorance, feel more pleasure than pain; and three, that medical patients not only experience more bliss than normal when they are ignorant, but also that they would willingly choose to be ignorant; show that truly, "Ignorance IS Bliss"

Please, if you have any questions, email them to me at bishmasterjr @ hotmail.com - I would rather you ask me clarification there than use up one of your posts on a misunderstanding. :D
studentathletechristian8

Con

studentathletechristian8 forfeited this round.
BishMasterJr

Pro

BishMasterJr forfeited this round.
studentathletechristian8

Con

BishMasterJr

Pro

BishMasterJr forfeited this round.
Posted by Maikuru 7 years ago
Maikuru
This one could have been great. Sad face.
Vote Placed by quarterexchange 5 years ago
quarterexchange
studentathletechristian8BishMasterJrTied
Vote Placed by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
Vote Placed by BishMasterJr 7 years ago
BishMasterJr
Vote Placed by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8