Jeremy
PolicyKing501

Illegal Baseball Bats

Started: 2/22/2012 Category: Sports

Jeremy

Con

I do think that the new rules for little league baseball bats are pathetic. The point of the game is to let the kids play and when you take away these bats half of the families that bought a say 500 dollar bat for their kid for Christmas now has to but a new and maybe even more expensive bat because of these new rules! Personally I have been playing baseball my whole life and i have never had these issues before. I do think this is also a horrible decision for the bat companies to agree with these new rules because they lose half of their profit on these "illegal" bats. Since these bats have to have a BPF 1.15 stamp on them that makes it even more difficult to find a new bat that is not illegal. Also now that they made this rule the companies newer models are taking more and more money to make because they have to take special per cautions while making them.
PolicyKing501

Pro

I am accepting this debate as the Pro side, in which I will be debating for the use of illegal baseball bats in little leagues. Now onto my first argument:

Illegal baseball bats in the little leagues are crucial for safety of children. For one their bones aren't fully developed and as strong as High School or Adult (excluding elderly). The reason they have these regulations is because ball speed off of certain baseball bats is significantly higher than that off another bat. Some bats even produce a speed of up to 10 mph more than other bats. And if you pair that with a baseball that weighs 5.25 ounces with a corked center, the permanent injury risk instantly goes up. Take for instance Ray Chapman, a Major League Baseball player, who was struck with a baseball in the head and died the next day
http://www.nytimes.com...

The scouting criteria for Major League Baseball pitches is a fastball between 85(below average) and 94+(very above average) http://www.hsbaseballweb.com...

While big league(the highest level of little league baseball at age 18) has 18 year old players which have shown they can send a baseball off of a bat at upwards of 104 mph, which is only 1 mph lower than the fastest pitch ever recorded. http://sports.yahoo.com...

Batters Wear Helmets so they are more protected from these pitched balls now compared to back in the day where they were at risk to pitches ranging from 85 mph upwards. This is why you don't see as many head injuries off of pitches. However when the ball is struck back into the field, Fielders and Pitchers aren't allowed to wear helmets or gets such as the batter. Meaning if they get hit they can also suffer the same fatality Ray Chapman did. Which I or no one else would want to happen.
Jeremy

Con

Jeremy forfeited this round.
PolicyKing501

Pro

PolicyKing501 forfeited this round.
Jeremy

Con

Jeremy forfeited this round.
PolicyKing501

Pro

My Opponent has forfeited this round so I will accept his forfeiture.