imabench
Magicr

Imabench's 300th Debate!!! Resolved: Cats are Liquids

Magicr

imabench

Pro

This is my 300th debate and I wanted to debate something ive always wanted to debate, whether or not cats are indeed liquids.

We all have that one crazy belief that no one else thinks is true, this is my crazy belief. Me and Magicr agreed to debate this, and yes it is only 2 rounds long.

Definitions:

Liquid: An object with a fixed mass and fixed volume, but does not have a fixed shape and instead match the shape of the container they are poured into.

Cats: Demons sent to Earth from Hell that have tried for years to rule over us. Also known as the four legged felines that are the same species portrayed by Garfield, Tom from Tom and Jerry, and those 8 things my crazy old lady neighbor has.

First round is acceptance only
Magicr

Con

I accept. Bring it on!
imabench

Pro

Ok Ill make this quick.

Let us diagnose the definition of the word 'liquid' and see if cats meet all parts of the definition.

"Liquid: An object with a fixed mass......"

Cats take up the same amount of space and therefore have the same amount of mass, so this part of the definition is met.

"fixed volume......"

Volume is the # dimensional measurement of how much space an object takes up. So an object that has a constant mass will naturally have a constant volume when placed in water.

"match the shape of the container they are poured into."

Here is the main point of contention. If cats do in fact take up the shape of the container they are poured into, then they would meet all the requirements needed to be a liquid.

Here is my evidence showing that cats do take the shape of the container they are poured into.

Here is a picture of a cat who currently is taking the shape of the window it is stuck in

Here is a picture of a cat that has taken up the shape of the sink it is sleeping in

A picture of a cat that has taken the shape of the sock it is in.

Here is a picture of multiple cats taking up a shape to fil this jar

Here is a cat that has taken the shape of the jar it is in

Another picture of a cat that has taken the shape of the jar it is in

Another picture of a cat that has taken the shape of a sock it is in.

A THIRD cat that is taking the shape of the sock it is in.

And lastly a cat that is currently taking the shape of the bottle it is in.

We can conclude that cats do take the shape of the container they are put into, and therefore meet all of the requirements of a liquid as defined in round 1. Therefore the resolution is affirmed :D

Possible counter arguments:

"To be a liquid you have to pour it and it has to flow, cats cant do that so they cant be liquids."

Contention: You can pour cats into a container, it just wont flow as smoothly as water or urine. Just because it doesnt flow smoothly doesnt mean it doesnt flow at all.....

"Cats have a fixed shape when they are not in a container"

So does toothpaste. It holds its shape because it is just a super condensed liquid. In other words it can hold its own shape Cats are the same thing.

I rest my case, Vote Pro :D
Magicr

Con

Thank you to imabench for initiating this debate on this very important subject. As a friend of all cats everywhere (provided they don’t bite or scratch me or anything like that), I am compelled to defend the good reputations of our furry feline friends as non-liquids.

Fixed Mass

The first point I’d like to raise is the issues of mass. Pro writes: “Cats take up the same amount of space and therefore have the same amount of mass, so this part of the definition is met.”

This is an unproved assertion if ever I saw one. No evidence is offered to support Pro’s claim other than “The claim is true, therefore the claim is true.” Ladies and gentlemen of DDO, I am here today to tell you that cats do not necessarily have fixed mass.

First, let’s analyze what is meant by “fixed mass.” Fixed is defined by the Merriam-Webster dictionary online as: “not subject to change or fluctuation” [1]. Whether or not something changes or fluctuates can only be seen by observing that thing over a period of time and seeing whether changes occur. Therefore, if something is said to be fixed, it is said not to change over a period of time.

Mass is defined as “the property of a body that is a measure of its inertia, that is commonly taken as a measure of the amount of material it contains, that causes it to have weight in a gravitational field, and that along with length and time constitutes one of the fundamental quantities on which all physical measurements are based” [2]. Or, to summarize that, mass can be described as how much space an object takes up.

In putting the two definitions together, we see that “fixed mass” means that something has takes up the same amount of space over a period of time.

So now, this standard must be applied to cats. The videos on the side demonstrate that over time, cats change the amount of space they take up.

If you don’t have time to watch the whole videos, at least be sure to observe the amount of space the cats take up at the beginning of the videos and then skip to the end to see how much space they take up then. The mass clearly increases.

The evidence clearly negates Pro’s unsupported assertion.

Fixed Volume

Regarding the issue of volume, Pro writes: “Volume is the # dimensional measurement of how much space an object takes up. So an object that has a constant mass will naturally have a constant volume when placed in water.” Pro argues that volume is dependent on mass, a correct assertion. Therefore, if the mass changes, then the volume will change as well. Since I have demonstrated that cats do not have fixed masses, then they also do not have fixed volumes.

Taking the Shape of the Container

I have been so mesmerized by the cuteness of Pro’s photos to support this contention that I am unable to think of a good rebuttal. Therefore, I must concede this point.

All I had to do was to prove that Cats are not liquids was to demonstrate that at least one component of the definition of liquid does not apply to cats. I succeeded in proving that the first to parts of the definition do not apply to cats. This in itself wins me the debate.

The verdict is clear: Cats are most certainly not liquids.

The resolution stands negated.

[1]- http://www.merriam-webster.com...

[2]- http://www.merriam-webster.com...

[3]- http://en.wikipedia.org...

[4]- http://en.wikipedia.org...

Posted by jc3833 5 months ago
jc3833
also, i care naught how old this debate is
Posted by jc3833 5 months ago
jc3833
oh, but Magicr, if you were to put a solid into a liquid, does the water level not rise? when you feed a cat, you are merely putting solids into this liquid, making the amount of space that the cat takes up APPEAR to change, thus, my faith in imabench's argument has been restored
Posted by Dovahkiin117 1 year ago
Dovahkiin117
Lol lol lol lol, I can't stop laughing at those pics. They are too funny!!!!!
Posted by Magicr 1 year ago
Magicr
Mr. Ba Ba Ba, please clarify your vote. Right Now it looks an awful lot like a vote bomb.
Posted by RyuuKyuzo 1 year ago
RyuuKyuzo
Hey, this means you are exactly 100 debates away from having the most completed debates.
Posted by RyuuKyuzo 1 year ago
RyuuKyuzo
And here I was thinking "how the hell is he possibly going to argue for this?" LOL
Posted by PeteSteinman 1 year ago
PeteSteinman
I was so relieved to reach the bottom and NOT find the expected punchline with the food processor...
Posted by imabench 1 year ago
imabench
It was number 299. At least thats how it appears on my profile when i click the 'debates' tab
Posted by RyuuKyuzo 1 year ago
RyuuKyuzo
... I'm pretty sure our debate was your 300th =p
Posted by bossyburrito 1 year ago
bossyburrito
You are what you eat.
Cats are able to eat water.
Water is a liquid.
Cats are water.
Cats are liquid.
Vote Placed by emospongebob527 1 year ago
emospongebob527
imabenchMagicrTied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter BABABA
Vote Placed by DoctorDeku 1 year ago
DoctorDeku
imabenchMagicrTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct goes to the Pro as this debate was clearly set up to be a fun round, and Con didn't conform to that standard. Grammar also goes Pro as Con misspelled the word 'two' in the final round; I didn't notice any grammatical errors from Pro. Con gets arguments for the fixed volume argument.
Vote Placed by BA_BA_BA 1 year ago
BA_BA_BA
imabenchMagicrTied
Reasons for voting decision: well debated. Good pics
Vote Placed by jh1234l 1 year ago
jh1234l
imabenchMagicrTied
Reasons for voting decision: Sources to con because he used sources, arguments to pro because he had funny remarks, which are important as this was a troll debate.
Vote Placed by TheElderScroll 1 year ago
TheElderScroll
imabenchMagicrTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's irresistibly cute kittens pictures definitely clouded my judgement. Argument & Source Pro.
Vote Placed by Azul145 1 year ago
Azul145
imabenchMagicrTied
Reasons for voting decision: imabench was funny so he gets arguments but he did not have sources so that goes to Con.
Vote Placed by thett3 1 year ago
thett3
imabenchMagicrTied
Reasons for voting decision: Amazing performance by Con. Cats are obviously liquids, and anyone who doesnt think so is an idiot yet he managed to win...bravo my good man, bravo.
Vote Placed by wrichcirw 1 year ago
wrichcirw
imabenchMagicrTied
Reasons for voting decision: kinda obvious. sources to PRO for the cats.
Vote Placed by MacGruber 1 year ago
MacGruber
imabenchMagicrTied
Reasons for voting decision: I have always considered cats to be liquid to some respect, and imabench's cute cat pictures nearly convinced me to disregard Magicr's argument. But! The argument of Con was very valid, and disproved two of the points of liquidity in cats. Cute cat pictures and cute kitten videos tied the reliable sources.
Vote Placed by philochristos 1 year ago
philochristos
imabenchMagicrTied
Reasons for voting decision: Imabench defined a liquid as having three characteristics: fixed mass, fixed volume, and conformity to the shape of its container. While Con conceded that cats conform to the sahpe of their container, he disputed that cats have a fixed mass or volume. I suspect there was a misunderstanding in those criteria, but since there were no more rounds to hash that out, I had to give arguments to Con. He did show that, strictly speaking, cats do not have a fixed volume or mass, and are therefore no liquids as Pro defined "liquid." Interesting debate, though.