RageDebate12302
EmotionalDude

Imagination is More Important Than Knowledge

RageDebate12302

Con

Acceptance Round.
EmotionalDude

Pro

Hello everyone. The motion is 'Imagination is MORE important than knowledge' and I SUPPORT this 100%. I will start by inserting a quote from Einstein, "Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.".

Now, I will define the motion. Imagination means the faculty or action of forming new ideas, or images or concepts of external objects not present to the senses and knowledge means facts, information, and skills acquired through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject. So, basically the motion means the faculty or action of forming new ideas, or images or concepts of external objects not present to the senses IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN facts, information, and skills acquired through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject.

My first point is; examinations.
Nowadays, examination papers will be inserted with some HOTS (Higher Order of Thinking Skills) questions. These questions requires the candidate to answer using his/her imagination based on the knowledge he/she already knows. HOTS questions require a candidate to think OUTSIDE the box.
So, why is this important? Well, with imagination, a candidate can use the knowledge he/she already has and expand it. An example of a HOTS question is;
"Where does the mass come from as a tree grows?"

My next point is; scientific discoveries.
How does a scientist actually make a new discovery? The starting point for ALL new discoveries starts with an idea and ideas are formulated by one's imagination. There are many cases in history that imagination, even in sleep, helped the researcher to find an answer to a problem or propose a hypothesis.

And my last point is; creativity.
Everyone knows that creativity is very closely linked with imagination. Ok, what do we use creativity for in our daily lives? We use it for big things like making the designs of buildings, furniture, technology and even smaller things like how to arrange your things, cartoons and stories.
You won't be able to make all these things by only using knowledge. For example, an architecture knows that a house needs a toilet, a kitchen and a room at the very least, but how should he arrange it so that the components of the house can exist in harmony? This needs imagination people!

I hope that the con will answer as best as he could and provide appropriate and if possible, challenging rebuttals to my strong points. I await your reply.

"Imagine you come upon a house painted brown. What color would you say the house was?"
"Why brown, of course."
"But what if I came upon it from the other side, and found it to be white?"
"That would be absurd. Who would paint a house two colors?"
He ignored my question. "You say it's brown, and I say it's white. Who's right?"
"We're both right."
"Non," he said. "We're both wrong. The house isn't brown or white. It's both. You and I only see one side. But that doesn't mean the other side doesn't exist. To not see the whole is to not see the truth."

By the way, I might not be able to finish this debate because I have to return to my boarding school. So, I hope we can make the best of the free time I have on this debate. Please answer fast. Thank you very much.
RageDebate12302

Con

RageDebate12302 forfeited this round.
EmotionalDude

Pro

EmotionalDude forfeited this round.
RageDebate12302

Con

RageDebate12302 forfeited this round.
EmotionalDude

Pro

EmotionalDude forfeited this round.
RageDebate12302

Con

RageDebate12302 forfeited this round.
EmotionalDude

Pro

EmotionalDude forfeited this round.
RageDebate12302

Con

RageDebate12302 forfeited this round.
EmotionalDude

Pro

Well, seeming that the con has not replied AT ALL. I guess I won. Imagination is more important than knowledge. I have given good points and rested my case well. Thanks you for the debate. Hopefully next time you could try to ANSWER.

I WON!.

BTW I will be participating in the World Scholar's Cup in Kuala Lumpur. Is there anyone else participating??
Posted by flewk 2 years ago
flewk
What the other guy said. You can't separate the two. Both rely on recall.
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
One cannot choose between knowledge and imagination. What you can conceive of depends in part on what you already know.
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
@RageDebate12302 - Starting more debates, but couldn't be bothered to participate in the debate you started and I accepted?