TopScottishDebater
Spartan2005

Immigration To Britain

TopScottishDebater

Con

I think that all immigrants/migrants should be searched and own a legal passport before entering our country as we cannot trust everyone who enters our ports plus it is illegal to migrate to a country under the radar so no immigration to britain should be handled alot more securely!
Spartan2005

Pro

I would like to first state that I am not a citizen of the UK. I speak for my uncle, an American immigrant to the UK who now researches neuroscience in Cambridge.

First, let it be clearly stated that almost every country, Britain included, already makes sure that immigrants coming into Britain legally have passports. So to say "I think all immigrants that enter the UK should have passports" is kind of an oxymoron. It's like stating "I believe that all criminals should be given a fair trial." You don't need to state it, it's already implemented.

Regardless, like a true American, I will play Devil's advocate and will convince you that not every immigrant to Britain should need a passport.
  • Refugees and other special cases

There have been many times in Britain's history when it has proudly taken the burden of allowing asylum and refuge to those who need it. A great current example would be the Syrian refugee crisis, happening right now. Many of these refugees either have never had passports or simply lost them. In a time in which your family is dying, applying for passports, especially passports from a government that doesn't want you to leave, is EXTREMELY challenging and time consuming. If your a refugee and bombs are falling over your head, it's very hard to get a hold of a VISA.

• Trusted Traveller systems

In many countries such as Canada and America, there are other and much more simple means of crossing borders. Take, for example, the NEXUS(1) system between the two countries I just mentioned. It's simple; if someone frequently makes the trip between countries, NEXUS offers a faster and easier time crossing borders if you have a clean record. This not only removes the Passport system, but replaces it with a cheaper and more efficient system for travellers that have shown that they are not felons or criminals
https://www.cbp.gov...

• Work VISAs an Permits

Otherwise known as work specific passports, if an individual is hired by someone in Britain, they can file a Work VISA or a workers permit. As long as someone can get it signed by an employer in Britain and can show that he HAD a passport at the time the document was signed, the individual can now travel between his native country and Britain with a work permit
https://www.gov.uk...

• European Union

If you already have citizenship within the EU, you might already have a free ticket to Britain without a passport. Many countries including France, Spain and Germany now have a system in which one can travel in between these countries on a single train ride. Although a passport is required, it is only required to get on the train and isn't required at each border crossing.
http://www.eurail.com...;

TopScottishDebater

Con

TopScottishDebater forfeited this round.
Spartan2005

Pro

I'm glad you see it my way.
TopScottishDebater

Con

Spartan2005

Pro

Still here
TopScottishDebater

Con

Spartan2005

Pro

Spartan2005 forfeited this round.
TopScottishDebater

Con

Spartan2005

Pro

Spartan2005 forfeited this round.
Posted by lord_megatron 12 months ago
lord_megatron
@Vice Regent never saw a criminal who is a Christian eh?
Posted by vi_spex 12 months ago
vi_spex
ban islam
Posted by ViceRegent 12 months ago
ViceRegent
I agree, but would go further. Do not let anyone in who does not affirm the Christian faith.