Immigration reform should include a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants.

Hi! I am Lola and I would like to debate that immigration reform should not include a path to citizenship.

On to my first contention, illegal immigrants have already broken U.S. Immigration law by crossing the border illegally. Title 8 U.S. Code section 1325 defines crossing illegally as: Any alien who (1) enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers, or (2) eludes examination or inspection by immigration officers, or (3) attempts to enter or obtains entry to the United States by a willfully false or misleading representation or the willful concealment of a material fact. Why should we extend the right of citizenship in our country to a criminal who has willingly broken the law?

On to my second contention, the people who crossed the border illegally should not get the benefits of citizenship. Those who entered legally should get the benefits, or at least the status quote. Those who crossed the border illegally should not be rewarded, or at most, get the status quote. They shouldn't"t get the benefit of citizenship in the US. While rights and dignity for these individuals should not be restricted, the path to citizenship is unfair to those who are legally entering and rewards the illegal behavior that enabled them to be living in the U.S. in the first place.

On to my third contention, providing pathways to citizenship, especially new pathways, encourages people to migrate illegally to the United States and makes it easier for more people who earn citizenship through the new path to sponsor those who do not yet have it. More people in the US also means that there will be higher demands on social services and welfare. These increased demands on public services will fall particularly hard on state governments. Costs associated with criminal activity also strain government budgets (pay access). And since most undocumented immigrants already file tax returns there is not likely to be any significant increase in tax revenue. Any potential gains in economic activity are offset by a number of factors. First, as more workers become available wages tend to decline because there are more potential workers to hire, allowing companies to pay any interested worker less. Illegal immigrants reduce the wages of an American citizen by 1.6%, which was $90 billion in 2005. This is particularly true in the agriculture sector. Second, increased immigration arguably contributes to deflation because consumers cutback spending in fear that they will lose their jobs to immigrants. And if the lower wages argument is true, there will be even more deflation due to less money available to spend. Third, a central premise of the economy arguments is that we need to increase immigration because the US has a shortage of skilled workers, but this shortage is not significant . A new study claims that this is a myth that needs to be demolished. And, if necessary, workers could work in international waters " or simply be allowed to work in the US without becoming citizens!

Conclusion: As a conclusion, immigration reform should NOT include a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants currently living in the United States because they have already broken the law and shouldn't"t get the benefit of citizenship for it, there is no justice for those who crossed the border legally, and providing pathways to citizenship encourages people to migrate illegally to the United States. So, please give a con ballot. Thank you. :)

Well if they came over fairly ,or have came for a better life,and also had worked hard in the US to get the little they can get,why shouldn't they be classified as a US citizen?I know some people from different counteries compared to some Americans.

Also I would like to piont out where are your sources?

Hello Zach,

To respond to your thoughts, I would like to say that I still believe my position in this debate is still the correct one. I still believe that is is not fair for those people who have been waiting in line for months, years. They tried so hard to be legal and get a visa yet we are allowing these illegal immigrants to cut in front of them. So I believe my position in this debate is still correct.

As to your second question, here are two of my sources:

djzach forfeited this round.

pls extend my previous arguments in the 1st and 2nd rounds

djzach forfeited this round.
Posted by islandersfan 2 years ago
I feel the CON has not provided specific enough sources. Also, I would like to point out that providing just a website is jot citing a source. However, at thia time, I feel the CON is winning only because they are the only own that has provided anything, even though the points they have made are easily reputable. As of now I would have joke choice but to vote CON as they have provided evidence (putting aside that they have not correctly cited them) and arguments while the PRO has failed to do either. I am sure in the next round PRO will respond, but I am just saying who I believe is winning as of right now.
Posted by RepublicanMan 2 years ago
I believe everything Lola has to say and furthermore have to agree. If an illegal immigrant sneaks past the border, they have already broken the law. And more so, continuing to acquire US services without being a legal citizen and receiving benefits with no documentation and proof of legal residence is void. Employers and Real Estate agents should be sanctioned by the law for leeching off of the 'generous' government. Illegal aliens should be deported from the country when caught or as an alternative, fined for continually breaking the law. Most places in America also have free public education, which is something illegals take advantage of. If we don't stop these fools now, the government and revenue will shrink. Tax dollars rise, the economy grows but then collapses because of then funds needed to file for social services and Welfare. Which 47% of Americans are already on. We don't need more citizens 'living' off of Welfare. As these programs feed the rich 1% and bury the poor. Illegal immigrants have caused problems since Columbus, when killed, raped, tortured, enslaved, oppressed and blew away the Native Americans. The way I see it, this problem will one continue to get worse. Revenue will shrink, unemployment will rise along with the debt ceiling and America will fall deeper into recession.
Vote Placed by SPENCERJOYAGE14 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Both sides were debating beliefs not facts... FF.