Capitalistslave
Williamcrdv

Implicit atheism

Williamcrdv has forfeited round #1.
Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

Capitalistslave

Pro

I'll first define implicit and explicit atheism as provided by wikipedia:
"Implicit atheism and explicit atheism are types of atheism coined by George H. Smith (1979, p. 13-18). 'Implicit atheism' is defined as 'the absence of theistic belief without a conscious rejection of it', while 'explicit atheism' is 'the absence of theistic belief due to a conscious rejection of it'.[1] Explicit atheists have considered the idea of deities and have rejected belief that any exist. Implicit atheists, though they do not themselves maintain a belief in a god or gods, have not rejected the notion or have not considered it further." ( https://en.wikipedia.org... )

In addition, there are two different types of explicit atheism. There are strong and weak explicit atheists. Strong explicit atheists assert that no god exists, weak ones reject the belief in deity. Implicit atheists are often called "agnostics", and have not rejected the belief in deity.

I'll accept a debate from either an explicit atheist or any type of theist.

The primary reason why I see implicit atheism as the position that makes most sense, is because there is a lack of evidence one way or the other in terms of whether a god exists. If there is no evidence a god exists and there is no evidence a god does not exist, why would it make sense to have a stance at all? The default position is therefore, to have a lack of belief one way or the other.

I'll leave my first argument at this for now, and will continue once an opponent has accepted.