twsurber
rougeagent21

Impromptu 11

rougeagent21

twsurber

Pro

In Round 1, my opponent will only leave me my 3 choices to be argued in Round 2. My opponent will choose 1 of the below and argue either side in Round 2.

OPPONENT'S CHOICES:
1) Global warming should generate more hydro and solar power.
2) Adam & Eve did not have belly buttons
3) Pluto is still a planet dog-gone it!

Judges will determine who presented the better case. Good luck and enjoy!
rougeagent21

Con

If I am understanding this correctly, I need to pick a side on one of the above topics. If I am doing this incorrectly, please tell me in the comments and I can change my response. The first round was worded a bit oddly.

3) Pluto is still a planet dog-gone it!
I negate. My opponent shall present his case in round two. Good luck.
twsurber

Pro

I concur with choice 2, and will argue the pro side.

SOR: The chicken came before the egg.

C-1: In an improbable experiment that is clearly semantic in nature, the chicken came first.
It has now been empirically determined that the chicken came first, the egg second.
However, seeing the history of previous questions that were taken up first by philosophers and only later by scientists, I am loath to predict that these results — clear as they are — will settle the question to everyone's satisfaction.
http://improbable.com...

C-2: Both the Biblical account in Genesis and the First Dispensation imply that the chicken was mediately created. After their creation chickens were able to reproduce, thus the egg. Further, evolution implies that creatures evolved from other creatures into higher ordered animals, NOT into eggs. Extended, arguments opposing Creation vs Evolution completely off-set as both are actually "models". Neither of the 2 are even theories because they cannot be repeated in a test.

C-3: Logical Reasoning
Logic and reasoning will be used to determine which came first. So sit back, relax, and let your mind truely wonder in these words. Everyone knows that a chicken comes from an egg, but the chicken has to come from an egg first. Or, the chicken ccame first to lay the egg? Both can seem to be logical, why either could come first.

Lets look at it like this. How could either one come about first? Was the chicken or the egg created first? An egg would have to sit around awhile and kept at certain temprature before it could hatch. Some how it would of had to been created or came from something. Likewise, a chicken would have to be created to be wandering around before it could lay an egg.

Possible explanations? How nice for you to keep reading this far. Well, some greater thing or being would have to of created the chicken. An egg would not of been created, because it needs a chicken to take care of it so it will hatch. The egg also did not come from anything, like say, evolving. Therefore, take it that the chicken came first. Now you make it possibles for the eggs to be laid and cared for so that they can hatch.

Lets parallel this with another situation. Humans, how did they come about? Has to be that God created us, we did not evolve from anything. Where are the humans that still have plant parts? There are NONE, so we were created. Say, just for a ridiculous second, that we did evolve, now what will we soon be evolving into, since this can't be the last stage since there wasn't a creator with a plan in hand. Creation is for real, it is true, look at everything around you that God has created for his master plan that he has.
http://rbelk.tripod.com...

For the above reasons I respectfully request a PRO Ballot. Thank you!
rougeagent21

Con

If I understand correctly, I am to ignore my opponent's response and simply post my own. Here goes:

I negate, Pluto is NOT still a planet.

Pluto was first discovered in 1930 by Clyde W. Tombaugh. Only 22 at the time, Tombaugh was given the laborious task of comparing photographic plates. These were two images of a region of the sky, taken two weeks apart. Any moving object, like an asteroid, comet or planet, would appear to jump from one photograph to the next.
After a year of observations, Tombaugh finally discovered an object in the right orbit, and declared that he had discovered Planet X. Because they had discovered it, the Lowell team were allowed to name it, and settled on Pluto.

The Solar System then had 9 planets.

Astronomers weren't sure about Pluto's mass until the discovery of its largest Moon, Charon, in 1978. And by knowing its mass (0.0021 Earths), they could more accurately gauge its size. The most accurate measurement currently gives the size of Pluto at 2,400 km (1,500 miles) across. Although this is small, Mercury is only 4,880 km (3,032 miles) across. Pluto is tiny, but it was considered larger than anything else past the orbit of Neptune.
Over the last few decades, powerful new ground and space-based observatories have completely changed previous understanding of the outer Solar System. Instead of being the only planet in its region, like the rest of the Solar System, Pluto and its moons are now known to be just a large example of a collection of objects called the Kuiper Belt. This region extends from the orbit of Neptune out to 55 astronomical units (55 times the distance of the Earth to the Sun).

Astronomers estimate that there are at least 70,000 icy objects, with the same composition as Pluto, that measure 100 km across or more in the Kuiper Belt. And according to the new rules, Pluto is not a planet. It's just another Kuiper Belt object.

In 2005, Mike Brown and his team dropped the bombshell. They had discovered an object, further out than the orbit of Pluto that was probably the same size, or even larger. Officially named 2003 UB313, the object was later designated as Eris. Since its discovery, astronomers have determined that Eris' size is approximately 2,600 km (1,600 miles) across. It also has approximately 25% more mass than Pluto.
With Eris being larger, made of the same ice/rock mixture, and more massive than Pluto, the concept that we have nine planets in the Solar System began to fall apart. What is Eris, planet or Kuiper Belt Object; what is Pluto, for that matter? Astronomers decided they would make a final decision about the definition of a planet at the XXVIth General Assembly of the International Astronomical Union, which was held from August 14 to August 25, 2006 in Prague, Czech Republic.

Astronomers from the association were given the opportunity to vote on the definition of planets. One version of the definition would have actually boosted the number of planets to 12; Pluto was still a planet, and so were Eris and even Ceres, which had been thought of as the largest asteroid. A different proposal kept the total at 9, defining the planets as just the familiar ones we know without any scientific rationale, and a third would drop the number of planets down to 8, and Pluto would be out of the planet club. But, then… what is Pluto?
In the end, astronomers voted for the controversial decision of demoting Pluto (and Eris) down to the newly created classification of "dwarf planet".
Is Pluto a planet? Does it qualify? For an object to be a planet, it needs to meet these three requirements defined by the IAU:

-It needs to be in orbit around the Sun – CHECK

-It needs to have enough gravity to pull itself into a spherical shape – CHECK

-It needs to have "cleared the neighborhood" of its orbit – Uh oh. Here's the rule breaker. According to this, Pluto is not a planet.

What does "cleared its neighborhood" mean? As planets form, they become the dominant gravitational body in their orbit in the Solar System. As they interact with other, smaller objects, they either consume them, or sling them away with their gravity. Pluto is only 0.07 times the mass of the other objects in its orbit. The Earth, in comparison, has 1.7 million times the mass of the other objects in its orbit.

Any object that doesn't meet this 3rd criteria is considered a dwarf planet. And so, Pluto is a dwarf planet. There are still many objects with similar size and mass to Pluto jostling around in its orbit. And until Pluto crashes into many of them and gains mass, it will remain a dwarf planet. So "dog gone it," PLUTO IS NOT A PLANET! The emotions of the many are not currently able to sway the stance of science, and thus the solar system has but 8 planets. Dog gone it.
Posted by rougeagent21 6 years ago
rougeagent21
Ah, your last name. *slaps self in the face* My bad
Posted by rougeagent21 6 years ago
rougeagent21
Well thanks, I thought there wasn't much I could do with WHY it isn't a planet because there is really only one reason. So we threw in a little history ;) Great job yourself. I am unfamiliar with the term "Surbs" though. Care to enlighten me?
Posted by twsurber 6 years ago
twsurber
Very nice work Rouge Agent! That was an educational read with fun conclusion. It was a pleasure to compete with you. Thanks for a great impromptu debate! Surbs
Posted by Clockwork 6 years ago
Clockwork
"Global warming should generate more hydro and solar power."

-What?
Posted by rougeagent21 6 years ago
rougeagent21
1- Amethyst is the most appealing mineral to look at

2- The chicken came before the egg

3- Giant lollipops have bettered mankind
Posted by twsurber 6 years ago
twsurber
Rouge agent, You need to leave 3 choices for me.
Posted by twsurber 6 years ago
twsurber
How do you know they didn't exist badger?
Posted by badger 6 years ago
badger
adam and eve didn't have belly buttons because they didn't exist. not what you're looking to argue is it?
Vote Placed by Atheism 6 years ago
Atheism
twsurberrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by rougeagent21 6 years ago
rougeagent21
twsurberrougeagent21Tied