1stLordofTheVenerability
twsurber

Impromptu Debate.

1stLordofTheVenerability

Pro

Greetings to my opponent!

This is going to be a debate styled in an 'Impromptu' fashion. Each round will only have ten minutes in which my opponent and I are to post.

This first round is merely to explain the rules and introduce onseself as willing to debate.

It will work like this. I will formulate three topics and post them in comments for my opponent. My opponent will then pick one of them and argue Pro/Con regarding that topic alone (not mine). Just before my opponent accepts the challenge and posts, s/he will also post three topics in comments of which I will pick one to debate as soon as round 2 begins.

Since I have issued no invitations, I will wait for approximately half an hour and then remove this debate from the challenges (or edit it).

Have fun, keep it clean!
twsurber

Con

Unfortunately, on paper, it would appear that Barry Bonds has hit more homeruns than anyone. His career stats are suspectr though due to his alledged use of steroids.

Henry Aaron amassed a number of homeruns over a long career without any hint of impropriety, yet less than Bonds.

No records exist to verify Josh Gibson's 800 plus homers. Therefore, Hank Aaron IS the TRUE Homerun King of all time.
1stLordofTheVenerability

Pro

Just for a little clarification, I give you the topics you are to debate. Apologies for confusion. they're in the comments.

and I, in turn, will debate one of yours. Fortunately, I wasn't planning on debating about the home run king.

I have selected:
3) Poker is not a sport, and should not appear on ESPN or FSN.

Poker is clearly not a sport. It is a game. this is quite simple - it is, as many other card games, a game of chance. A hand of poker (for one player) lasts less than five minutes and exerts very little physical energy as a sport should. A sport requires organized and competitive physical activity with fair play and governed by rules. Furthermore, sports are not played distinctly for the purpose of the players to gamble money.

One can rule that Poker is not about fair play, as any player who can cheat in a casual and efficient manner will do so. There is no 'referee', and there is no aspect of sportsmanship. In the Wild West, gamblers were famed for shooting opponents.

Now, ESPN is thus a sports news network. It should concentrate upon covering legitimate sports rather than facades such as poker. Poker is only interesting in that a great degree of money is involved and the players have often mastered a casual appearance. Yet, it is a waste of revenue for the ESPN network. Also, it consumes time in which some legitimate sport requiring physical activity could be featured. I myself was annoyed to once find a poker match consuming ESPN's airtime during an important baseball game.

Hence, it is not only that Poker isn't a sport, but it is unfair to the viewer to have to tolerate it consuming airtime instead of an interesting and exhilarating activity that actually fits the definition of 'sport'.

Cheers
twsurber

Con

I thought I had the neg? My bad.

PRO, I affirm that poker should be aired on sports networks.

Many activities are regarded as sports as sports can have a very loose definition. While I would consider bowling and NASCAR to be more recreational, there are those who would vehemently argue for their staus as a sport. Further, many events in both the Summer and Winter Olympics are questionable in my opinion, yet they are regarded as sports. Given the aforementioned, it is then reasonable to consider poker a sport, and worthy to be aired to sports network channels.

NEG: National Healthcare in the USA

I negate the topic regarding National Healthcare in the USA

The present healthcare situation is very unclear to the layman, quite possibly intended as such. It has received numerous bipartisan arguments in it's opposition.

The enigmatic and ambiguity associated with this healthcare bill continues to be a sore spot in the USA with several states threatening to veto it.

I think that a national healthcare system is needed, but would rather see something patterned after that of the U.S. military. All medical staff are hired, trained, and paid by the military. Military members receive healthcare at no cost. This system works extremely well as demonstrated by the largest employer in the USA, the USA military, therefore it could reasonably be argued that such a system could be augmented in the USA at large.
Posted by 1stLordofTheVenerability 6 years ago
1stLordofTheVenerability
Okay, sounds like fun! :D One second, though (I'll PM you). Next time you don't have to rebut me, as that consumes time. lol
Posted by twsurber 6 years ago
twsurber
Sorry for my confusion, we can set up another one when we are both online. I actually enjoy the Impromptu event, so this makes it that much more fun to debate. Surbs
1stLordofTheVenerability
The World will end in 2012.

National Health Care in the USA.

Right to Bear Arms in the USA
Posted by twsurber 6 years ago
twsurber
1) Is Josh Gibson, Hank Aaron, or Barry Bonds the true Homerun King!

2) Professional wrestling is rehearsed showmanship.

Vote Placed by DebatePro 6 years ago
DebatePro
1stLordofTheVenerabilitytwsurberTied
Vote Placed by Hellsdesire55 6 years ago
Hellsdesire55
1stLordofTheVenerabilitytwsurberTied
Vote Placed by smarterthanmost 6 years ago
smarterthanmost
1stLordofTheVenerabilitytwsurberTied