1stLordofTheVenerability
twsurber

Impromptu Debate.

twsurber

1stLordofTheVenerability

Pro

Hi TW! good luck and have jolly good fun!

The rules shall be the same as last time. I will post three topics here and you can select and argue upon one of them (don't argue until Round 2). Also it isn't necessary to debate my argument (or for me to debate yours), as that will diminish precious minutes. And you can argue for or against the topic you select.

Okay, we have ten minutes.

Your three topics are:

1. Can a Christian lose salvation?

2. Is Sidney Crosby really a player good enough to meet the media hype?

3. Marijuana Legalization

That gives you a diverse selection. Christianity, sports and an ethical issue.

Cheerio!
twsurber

Con

Congrats and thanks to my opponent.

TOPIC: Can a Christian lose salvation?

Absolutely not!

Salvation is a gift from God given to all who believe. Romans 10:9 tells us the steps required for salvation. 1 John 5:13 tells assures us that we may KNOW that we have salvation. John 10: 28-29 tells us that no one can rescend the gift of salvation given by God.

While there isn't time to validate the Bible as a legitimate source beyond circular reasoning, (did this for Gep Laureate's sake :O)) 2 Timothy 3:16 tells us that the Bible is a source for validation.

Historians have confirmed that John wrote the books of John and 1 John, and that Paul wrote the book of Romans. Therefore that is sufficient in that end. Given the aforementioned, I request your support on my ballot.
1stLordofTheVenerability

Pro

It appeares I erred and made this three rounds. hmm, okay.

I am going to argue that 'The Game' should be abolished as nonsensical since it really is pointless and no person can emerge victorious. Let us consider what 'The Game is about'. It is a mental game in which one is supposed to not think of 'The Game'. Obviously this is a pointless exercise, as what people actually spend a good deal of time pondering whether or not to think about it? Thousands are not even aware of its existence.

Furthermore, some of its rules are absurd. For example, one is purported to have to declare the loss of the game, which, in turn, requires thinking about it. This could result in a never-ending turmoil. Also, declaring that 'the game' is ended is an absurd notion, since many will hardly realize which game it is that the person is talking about - there are a great many games playable on the planet. A vague reference to 'the game', will obviously cause confusion among the ranks.

And, furthermore, as Tw proclaims, the game cannot be won as if somebody thinks about it at all, they shall lose.

Hence, due to its foolishness, it should be abolished. Thanks!
twsurber

Con

twsurber forfeited this round.
1stLordofTheVenerability

Pro

1stLordofTheVenerability forfeited this round.
twsurber

Con

twsurber forfeited this round.
Posted by twsurber 6 years ago
twsurber
Actually, impromptu involves selecting a card with an unknown topic. You may keep it, or select a different card. You must then speak on the second topic. You are allowed 2 minutes to mentally prepare your speech without notes. When your prep time has elapsed, you give your speech of up to 3 minutes. This format may vary by state or entity. For example: my school competes in TFL, CFL, and NFL events, all of which have some degree of variance.

Different people use a variety of methods to present, based upon the topic. Some prefer the intro, body, and conclusion approach. Others like to create a word picture. Sometimes a "flow" works well. Compare & contrast is also used.

Hope this was helpful! Thomas
Posted by 1stLordofTheVenerability 6 years ago
1stLordofTheVenerability
Really, you've coached Impromptu before? :D Spiff! No, I've never been to a tournament, though I wish it! :D this has to be the best format, though. ; )

So was this the proper format and everything? I don't recall ever having to rebut an opponent. :D Thanks! Maybe we can do it, again, sometime.

*smacks forehead* Terrible, really. Imagine losing the game by debating about it. :P
Posted by twsurber 6 years ago
twsurber
p.s., You just lost the game :o)
Posted by twsurber 6 years ago
twsurber
Regardless, this is very fun concept! You are the man! Do you participate in Impromptu at tournaments and duals? It is one of my very favorite events to coach, witness, and judge.
1stLordofTheVenerability
Thanks for debating with me - it was most enjoyable!
1stLordofTheVenerability
I'll forfeit it, as well. Nothing to argue in Round 3... lol
1stLordofTheVenerability
No no, not at all. Well, you argued in round 1, but that's hardly of concern considering that I messed up and created it for three rounds. lol

Sadly, I agree with your position and can't very well rebut it... hence I'm going to have to spend round 2 on my own argument.
Posted by twsurber 6 years ago
twsurber
Shoot! I messed it up again!
Posted by twsurber 6 years ago
twsurber
1) The Dallas Cowboys should NOT be referred to as Americas's team.

2) The electoral college is a flawed system that does NOT adequately represent all constituients.

3) Everyone should stop playing "the game" because it cannot be won.
Vote Placed by twsurber 6 years ago
twsurber
1stLordofTheVenerabilitytwsurberTied