1stLordofTheVenerability
Danielle

Impromptu Debate

Danielle

1stLordofTheVenerability

Pro

Greetings all,

This is an Impromptu Debate.
Each participant has ten minutes to post, so please keep that in mind when judging for errors or discrepancies in spelling.

There are three rounds in this debate, but only the third round will be utilized for the actual debate. In the first round, my opponent will join and merely post formalities.

In the second round, I will post three different topics that my opponent can debate. My opponent will do the same. In the third round, each will select one topic and argue for or against it.

Do not attempt to refute the opponent, as this is based upon who is the most professional when under time restrictions.

Good luck and have fun!
Danielle

Con

This seems like an interesting debate, Lord!

I've never done anything like this but I've always wanted to try something similar, so I might as well give it a go now. Thanks for the opportunity and good luck :)
1stLordofTheVenerability

Pro

splendid! Good luck.

Your three topics:

1. Climate Change is a sham

2. War in the Middle East is about oil.

3. Is torture morally acceptable at times?

That's a diverse selection, as these topics cover science and the environment, an economical and political issue as well as a moral issue. Have fun!
Danielle

Con

Your topics are...

1. POLITICS: 9/11 was an inside job

2. PHILOSOPHY: Determinism is more valid than compatibilism

3. SOCIETY: DADT is unconstitutional

4. LAW: Smoking cigarettes should be banned from public places

Sorry, went with 4!
1stLordofTheVenerability

Pro

1stLordofTheVenerability forfeited this round.
Danielle

Con

I'll be CON the resolution "Global Warming is a sham..."

First, I'd like to note that global warming refers to an increase in the earth's temperature. Evidence indicates that the earth's temperature has actually increased by 1.4 degrees around the world since 1880, so technically the resolution has already been affirmed. However most friction pertaining to this subject questions whether or not human activity is to blame for global warming. I'd like to note that I don't have to prove that global warming is man-made, only that it is happening (based on the resolution). Regardless, I definitely think there's evidence that human activity has contributed to this problem.

Most scientists throughout the world acknowledge the problem of global warming, and more importantly, note humans as avid contributors. "This conclusion is shared by the national science academies of developed and developing countries plus many other organizations, including the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, which was established by the United Nations and the World Meteorological Organization to provide the world with 'a clear scientific view' on climate change. The only real debate is about how fast warming will occur, and how much damage will be done, as a result of human activities that produce heat-trapping CO2 and other greenhouse-gas emissions" [1].

A basic understanding of elementary science helps reveal why human activity and global warming is evident. For instance, pollution, deforestation, and industrialization have increased atmospheric concentrations of water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide. These are all greenhouse gases that help trap heat near Earth's surface; it's no wonder the earth's temperature will therefore inevitably increase. Another problem is that humans are pouring carbon dioxide into the atmosphere much faster than plants and oceans can absorb it, which will obviously affect the way the earth heats and cools itself [2]. Excess carbon dioxide (which we output into the atmosphere) creates a warming effect on the planet [3].

One thing to keep in mind that weather cannot be confused with climate; in other words just because some places experience frigidly cold weather doesn't mean that the overall CLIMATE of the earth is not changing [4]. Various forms of evidence prove that climate change (global warming) is occurring and has been steadily increasing gradually over time. Atmospheric temperature measurements taken from orbiting satellites show warming; records of coral proxy and trees indicate global warming; the drastic rise in sea level indicates global warming; the glaciers melting at an alarming rate signifies global warming; records from scientific organizations such as NOAA, HADCRU, JMA and even NASA show that the earth's temperature on average has been increasing since the 1800s [5].

At this point, it would be irresponsible to ignore all of the blatant evidence and scientific proof, as well as committed statements by the most revered scientists themselves, all taking a firm stance on the issue that global warming DOES exist (and humans contribute to the problem).

[1] http://www.environmentaldefense.net...
[2] http://news.nationalgeographic.com...
[3] http://www.pewclimate.org...
[4] http://abcnews.go.com...
[5] http://www.environmentaldefense.net...
Posted by Danielle 6 years ago
Danielle
Yes, definitely down for a re-match whenever we're both on :)
Posted by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
Damn...

Gavin: took it :P
Posted by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
That stinks, but the idea is sound. I will catch the next one...
Posted by 1stLordofTheVenerability 6 years ago
1stLordofTheVenerability
You even managed some research? O_o
1stLordofTheVenerability
did you want to create a 1 round continuation and try again? I didn't get to save my arguments... but I'll do it again.
1stLordofTheVenerability
Blast it! I had 35 seconds left, and hit Review, but my mouse froze.... Sorry, L. : ( I picked topic 1.
1stLordofTheVenerability
Swell! Yeah, concocting three challenging topics regarding various controversies or events, especially for another in a ten minute time span, can be difficult. :P

thanks, diversie topics are more entertaining, I think.
Posted by Danielle 6 years ago
Danielle
Oh hehe you answered at the same time. Alright let me brainstorm 3 semi-interesting topics...
Posted by Danielle 6 years ago
Danielle
So to clarify, we can be CON any of those topics, yes? I'm wondering what topics I should pick for you ^_^ I'll go for something diverse as well...
1stLordofTheVenerability
Keep in mind, you can take a pro or con stance.
Vote Placed by hippobob 6 years ago
hippobob
1stLordofTheVenerabilityDanielleTied
Vote Placed by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
1stLordofTheVenerabilityDanielleTied
Vote Placed by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
1stLordofTheVenerabilityDanielleTied