In 1940/1941, Germany had the most powerful military in the world

I have never done this debate so lets see how it goes. Rounds are meant to be short (5,000 characters).

Round one is for acceptance and stating which country you believe was more powerful than Germany.

I wish good luck to my opponent.

I will be challenging my opponent with Finland. They didn't have much involvement in World war two but overcame the odds to humiliate Soviet Russia.
Let the debate begin!

Con has already lost this debate. Finland was in no way, shape or form, the most powerful country in the world. Finland would perhaps have been able to invade Poland (not very likely) or France (also not very likely) but against Germany, not a chance. In 1940, Finland was under the thumb of the USSR while Germany was conquering Europe. It was only in June 1941 when Hitler invaded the Soviet Union that Finland was able to rise from the ashes. And Finland did little to defeat the armies of the Soviet Union. Finland was responsible for the defeat of perhaps a few hundred thousand Red Army soldiers while Germany defeated millions upon millions.

In 1940 and 1941, Germany had one of the best air-forces in the world. Finland's air-force was almost nonexistent. German Panzer's were some of the best tanks in the world. Finland had none. The Germany U-boats and Navy represented one of the most powerful fleets in the world. Finland had a very small navy. The Finnish army consisted of a few hundred thousand soldiers while the German army consisted of millions.

Both numerically and technologically, Germany was stronger. Finland did not really have any successes while Germany conquered most of Europe.

Finland may have held the Soviets off, but they did not win the winter war of 1939. I can give examples of multiple countries that were stronger than Finland. Those countries include Italy, Britain, the USSR, Japan, the USA, etc. Anyway, I did not have to write much since Con chose an easy country to refute.

Finland's had a population of 3.7 million in 1939. At the same time, Germany had a population of almost 70 million. [1]

Good debate Con, but I think you have no chance.

Clearly stated argument from my opponent.

" It was only in June 1941 when Hitler invaded the Soviet Union that Finland was able to rise from the ashes." Infact, Finland also launched it's own offencive in 1941 against USSR. Finland coordinated with the AXIS power but wasn't apart of the AXIS power. During 'Operation Silver Fox', Finland mobilized 400,000 troops against the USSR. Eight days after the intial invasion by the AXIS troops. Finland did this while their Army was being reorganised, Which should have led to logistical problems. Also during the end of 'Operation Silver Fox', The Finnish forces Captured 47,000 USSR troops and casualties to the USSR were unknown. Finnish troops had 25,000 dead and 50,000 wounded.

So I wouldn't be to sure that you have won yet. As Finland may not have had the biggest or most modern Military. But, it certainly will put up a valient fight and will certainly put heavy Causulties on whom they are fighting. Considering that Germany gave Finland Aircraft and weapons in return for being "Staunch Allies".

That's exactly what I meant. In 1941, BECAUSE OF GERMANY, Finland was able to rise out of the ashes and invade the Soviet Union. During Operation Silver Fox, Finland mobilized 5,000 soldiers, not 400,000. Germany provided 20,000 for the offensive. [1] But in the end, the offensive still failed.

"Captured 47,000 USSR troops and casualties to the USSR were unknown. Finnish troops had 25,000 dead and 50,000 wounded."

Ok now that simply false. Reread you sources. Operation Silver Fox was a Soviet victory. Finnish and German forces failed to capture Murmansk. Axis casualties were over 20,000. Soviet casualties were unknown. [1]

I have nothing more to way. Con simply talks about Finland playing an important role in WWII. I would agree with that.

However Con fails to prove that Finland was more powerful than Germany.

Robdog_1996 forfeited this round.

CON FF!!! Vote PRO!!!

Robdog_1996 forfeited this round.
Posted by Gs325jcbd 2 years ago
i agree :|
Vote Placed by YYW 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: PRO was more convincing, and his arguments were better sourced. It also happens that PRO was more often on point than was his opponents. Thus, arguments and sources to PRO. Conduct to PRO because CON forfeited two rounds.