Molon152
AutisticSquirrel

In America today racism against minorities is basically nonexistent. If you disagreed why?

Molon152 has forfeited round #2.

Molon152

Pro

Racism is dying in America, as well as the rest of the western world, and has been for the last 50 years since the civil rights movement. I say that perceived institutional racism, like police shootings of black men, are because of the media taking racial stories out of context to get people mad to help there numbers. If anything I think minorities have more opportunities because of affirmative action and cheaper tuition.
AutisticSquirrel

Con

Racism is not nonexistent or almost nonexistent today. While sometimes racism is perceived to be occurring in situations where it may not be the case, it still does exist in this world. The language that people use to describe people of particular races in a derogatory way is one example of such. Another is when families are disapproving of their offspring having a relationship of someone of a different race. This disapproval can unfortunately in some cases even lead to an honor killing in some cultures. Hate crimes still do exist, such as the shooting at the church in Charleston that was clearly racially motivated based on the shooter's comments.
(This is my first debate so I'm not sure if their is some sort of format I am supposed to use so please tell me if I am doing anything wrong.)
Posted by qwzx 9 months ago
qwzx
I wish mplo would accept my debate challenge....I love debating leftists
Posted by Jonbonbon 9 months ago
Jonbonbon
That happens to me all the time, and no I don't pay much attention to Morgan freeman.
Posted by RR-MKIV 9 months ago
RR-MKIV
And I just realized how many grammatical errors I had in my previous comments. It makes me shudder.
Posted by RR-MKIV 9 months ago
RR-MKIV
Morgan Freeman [Granted, he is an actor and its hard to take him at face value] almost said the exact same thing on both racism and black history month. Im assuming where you got that from.
Posted by Jonbonbon 9 months ago
Jonbonbon
Everyone's exhausted of it. The people who are racist just ignore, and the normal people who aren't racist but don't cry racist at every little thing that looks like it could've had a racial tone would rather act as though racism is no longer a problem.

And honestly, it's effective. I got to the most conservative college ever, which according to liberals, means it should be incredibly racist. But there hasn't been any racism on campus. Not even mention of it. We're just people.

It's like black history month. Why are black people so different they need a history month? Shouldn't we just also teach about black people in history classes the same as we teach about white people? The effort to fight racism really just creates a world where it looks way worse than it is, and that's a bad thing.
Posted by RR-MKIV 9 months ago
RR-MKIV
Never even thought for a second it was directed at me. I am frankly exhausted of watching the left cries racism and then proceeds to intentionally divide people by gender, race, or other into groups, while the right [Moderates] preach that we are all Americans. The irony is very real.
Posted by BJanders96 9 months ago
BJanders96
My last comment was directed toward what MPLO said... And I think RR-MKIV said it well when stating that it's a rise in victim-hood, not racism.
Posted by BJanders96 9 months ago
BJanders96
I agree that racism is dying in America and disagree that it's "grown much, much worse and much more open." You're debating that life now has more segregation than the pre-civil rights movement America? That's blatantly inaccurate and is a rather ignorant statement. It negates all the effort of those that worked through the civil rights movement and pretty much says that they didn't do anything to help minorities.

Also, Pres. Trump (though I don't particularly like him and didn't vote for him, he was elected by the majority of votes and therefore has my support) doesn't act out of racism or hate toward another culture solely because they're different. He's taken the steps he has because there are certain threats that he's trying to protect Americans (you included) from. They may not be the best actions or the best decisions, but he's acting out of concern for the well being of the American nation.

Whether people take his actions as racism or not, that's their mistake. However, the entire nation is not moving from actively denying minorities their rights and physically assaulting with no cause to something worse. There are instances where people are physically assaulted, but the vast majority of the time it has nothing to do with race.
Posted by RR-MKIV 9 months ago
RR-MKIV
@mplo
No, it has not. Its a victim-hood mentality that is on the rise. Millennials nowadays are told that if you fail and tried your hardest, you are a victim of some kind of existential discrimination and hate, not the fact that you may be completely unsuited to compete in whatever it was you did not succeed in. I will admit, I am not a fan of Trump, but he is not spurring 'some' racist revolution. What is your evidence that racists have been emboldened? If you are Pro, burden of proof is on you.
Posted by mplo 9 months ago
mplo
No. Racism is not dying here in America...not at all. If anything, it's grown much, much worse, and much more open, especially under the Donald Trump Administration, because many racists have been emboldened by Trump's actions and behaviors.