EmmaFifield
Sophiesalvatore

In Canterwood Crest Academy Heather Fox is the strongest competitor on the advanced team.

Started: 6/19/2013 Category: Sports

EmmaFifield

Pro

I completely believe that Heather Fox is the best horseback rider on her advance team in the book series Canterwood Crest Academy. My reasoning? She has won many more competitions, shines more than anyone else in practices even in her opponents eyes, she trys harder than any girl that you can come up with.
Sophiesalvatore

Con

Ok first of all I think heather was a total gossiping hypocrit that had extreme family issues that ruined and ran her life. I also believe that heather was only slightly ok at horse back riding because she was raised off to not have an opinion of her own so her parents pretty much lived through her. She was deeply insecure and had no self esteem whatsoever. Her true colors show when she starts trying to Sabatage Sasha silver on pretty much the first day on campus. Heather holds grudges and cannot let go of simple situations I believe also.

I rest my case, thank you
EmmaFifield

Pro

Thank you for accepting my debate. Best of luck:)

"Ok first of all I think heather was a total gossiping hypocrit that had extreme family issues that ruined and ran her life."
~This may be so but in any way how does this pertain to her horseback riding skills?

"I also believe that heather was only slightly ok at horse back riding because she was raised off to not have an opinion of her own so her parents pretty much lived through her."
~Again this has nothing to do with her riding skills.

Please refere back to the title of this debate "In Canterwood Crest Academy Heather Fox is the strongest competitor on the advanced team." Can you name someone (on that team) that is a better equestrian than Heather?
Sophiesalvatore

Con

Thanks for answering :)

Ok so how dose her parents influence on her life influence her riding?

Well her life and her riding are so blended together that there pretty much the same .so her attitude and snootiness show very clearly in her jumping and etiquette of English style riding.

Her gossiping nature also affects her class and positions. Sometimes her behavior leads to her being either held back from a competition, she also gets suspended from school when the belles dare Alison, Julia, heather, Sasha and Callie to an initiation to canter or trot in the forbidden dark all the way to the stables. The belles are a local clique that are moving on to high school but need a few girls to succeed or replace them. As it turns out Mr Connors finds them and they all get in trouble. The reason I bring this part of the story up is because heather would not be in that position if she had her head in the game and not sunk to the belles levels thus affecting her riding. The penalty of such an unthinkable stupid thing to do was being suspended from the stables for a short time pluse not being able to tryout for YENT though she ,Sasha,Callie ,Allison and Julia sucked up to Mr Connor to let them tryout and Connor caved. Mind you that heather had almost no part in the hard work it took to brown nose Mr Connor into letting them tryout. So even though Heather was one of the people permitted onto the national team I believe her money got her halfway and her little effort pushed her in the judges favor.

I mean no offense thank you for the debate :)
EmmaFifield

Pro

No offence taken;)

"Her gossiping nature also affects her class and positions. Sometimes her behavior leads to her being either held back from a competition, she also gets suspended from school when the belles dare Alison, Julia, heather, Sasha and Callie to an initiation to canter or trot in the forbidden dark all the way to the stables."
~ Its true. The girls were told to canter from the stable yard to the administration office and brush the window and canter back. BUT Heather (and Sasha) both refused to do this dare to protect the saftey of their horses.

"The penalty of such an unthinkable stupid thing to do was being suspended from the stables for a short time pluse not being able to tryout for YENT though she ,Sasha,Callie ,Allison and Julia sucked up to Mr Connor to let them tryout and Connor caved."
~Again you have only given half of the story. Yes the girls were suspended but managed to convince Mr. Conner to allow them to ride for the Y.E.N.T scouts on the grounds that immediately following these tryouts they were to go back to being suspended fro riding. But they didn't "suck up". They did almost a week of stable chores and sent Mr. Conner a letter apologizing and admitting how wrong they were and all signed it. To me that doesn't define "sucking up."

"Mind you that heather had almost no part in the hard work it took to brown nose Mr Connor into letting them tryout. "
~Heather took an equal amount part in this work and you can see that for yourself in book #5 Behind The Bit pages 200-203

"I believe her money got her halfway and her little effort pushed her in the judges favor."
~If you remember correctly Heather's father practically insisted that he bribe the judges in her favour but she refused saying "if you try it i will drop out, fake sick or something!"

Good Luck in Round :)
Sophiesalvatore

Con

Thanks for replying!

First of all heathers father is somewhat of a social climber so that affects her riding.

Yes maybe heather said no to the dare on that fateful night on the dangerous gallop or canter but if you think about it 'what would heather have done if her father had supported the challenge and had ordered her to do it?' well you may say 'it's not like she could say no to her father!' but yes I myself am a rider and I enjoy the sport so coming from my experience if I put myself in heathers shoes it wouldn't matter if my father ordered me to, heck, the president could threaten to arrest me! But as a good rider like many people that are more deeply involved with the Olympic sport than me I'm sure the professional would agree, you never under any circumstances endanger your horse.

I agree heather was right to back down but I'm very sure if her father had been there things could have gotten very ugly very fast. See, heather is incredibly flexible and her father could easily bend or wrap heather around his pinkie finger if he wanted to. The has a huge impact on her riding and the way she interacts with other canter wood students she were to be as good as a rider as she thinks she is then she would not be practicing in a ring all day every day. I bring up that assumption because when Sasha and Paige end up not going together for spring break because of a fight over dumb drama
Heather takes sasha to new York with her instead and while visiting in the blond hair blue eyed girls penthouse Sasha learns heather did have a relaxing life before canter wood and YENT. Two of her other friends and her would all go on a beautiful trail ride pluse they would bring along water bottles and granola bars. They would sometimes stick there feet in a cold rushing brook to ease off practice for a while. Now I ask 'where did that heather go?' she was pretty much a better person than she is today.

So my conclusion was heathers a good rider but were dose that leave her when other things happen in her life? Like school? Classes??lunchtime???
One of my favorite sayings is,

You can be surrounded by many people ,but are not true friends and feel alone
But you can be hanging out with a few of your very close friends and feel completely surrounded :)
In my book ,heathers pretty much completely alone thus leavening her with a pathetic life. And not a well rider because you need support and heather has none from anyone.

No offense intended, it's been fun thanks! :D
Posted by samoto22 3 years ago
samoto22
I've never read the book and have no idea what you are talking about. This comment is meaningless.