Brooke_Stanich
Pfalcon1318

In Democracy, Civil Disobedience Is A Cowardly Fight For Justice

Brooke_Stanich

Pro

To start off a few definitions to get out of the way
Democracy- Government ran by the people
Civil Disobedience- The refusal to comply with certain laws or to pay taxes and fines, as a peaceful form of political protest
Cowardly- Lacking of courage
Courage- The ability to do something that frightens one
Justice- Just behavior or treatment
In life we are always looking for a way out of things a way to bypass the law a way to get out of paying taxes. (i.e. tax evasion, bribery, insanity plea etc.) When we try and bypass these laws we play it off as fighting for our rights or fighting for justice. This is just one example of many of how it is a cowardly fight for justice.
Second, if you feel so strongly about something you will fight, fight, and fight. If you feel so strongly about it you wouldn't need a group of people to stand; as my philosophy says, "A strong, loud individual can be heard better than weak, mumbling, shouting protesters." Alright so not the best quote but never the less I find it to be very true. Getting to my point if you feel so strongly about something than you won't need to gather the attention of others through loud, annoying, whiney protesting.
Pfalcon1318

Con

I thank PRO for instigating this debate, and look forward to engaged conversation.

I accept this debate, and the definition proposed.

I will be arguing in the negative, to refute the resolution. I shall assume shared BoP for this debate, and shall proceed with this assumption; i must either show that PRO is incorrect, and that Civil Disobedience is courageous, OR I must show that it is neither courageous nor cowardly. (Civil Disobedience shall henceforth be abbreviated as CD.)

PRO defines "cowardly" as "lacking courage", with courage being defined as "the ability to do something that frightens one". So, cowardice is thus defined as "lacking the ability to do something which frightens one".

The State (here in reference to any government) has the ability to punish those who break the law. This means that there is something to be afraid of. In the past, when citizens have chosen CD, they have been subject to imprisonment and beatings [1]. Normally, imprisonment and beatings are viewed with fear, in that imprisonment and beatings are, generally, seen as dangerous. Is it "cowardly" to forgo meals, get arrested, and be struck repeatedly by law enforcement to ensure that your dissent is heard? I think it is safe to assume that those who participated in CD protests were aware of what would happen to them, should they continue as they did. James Zwerg sure was [2]. The important thing to understand here is that these people were aware of the danger (danger normallly causes fear, by definition), and still choose to act as they did. By the definitions provided by PRO, with courage being the ability to do that which frightens one, these people would be considered courageous.

Hardline revolution does not make one courageous. It is the knowledge of the dangerous nature of the endeavor that makes one courageous, by PRO's definition. Inprisonment is surely cause for fear and alarm. As such, it follows, per PRO's definitions, that CD is courageous, as to practice CD is to risk imprisonment.

[1] http://www.civilliberties.org...;
[2] http://www.corbisimages.com...;
Brooke_Stanich

Pro

Brooke_Stanich forfeited this round.
Pfalcon1318

Con

Pfalcon1318 forfeited this round.
Brooke_Stanich

Pro

Brooke_Stanich forfeited this round.
Pfalcon1318

Con

Pfalcon1318 forfeited this round.